Amazing Audioengine D3 ...
Apr 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #61 of 108
  I'm planning on buying the D3 for use with my new Macbook 12" retina, and B&W P7. The battery life of this new laptop is probably about 7-8 hours. Can anyone comment about their experience with the D3 and battery life of their laptop? Also would the D3 work well with the P7's?

Sorry, I've never actually used mine on battery power.  Regarding the sound, I've found them to be on the neutral side so they've paired well with anything that they have the power to drive.  Something like the P7 is meant to be portable so I'm assuming it's relatively easy to drive and should pair well.  Assuming being the key word.*

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #62 of 108

Sorry, I've never actually used mine on battery power.  Regarding the sound, I've found them to be on the neutral side so they've paired well with anything that they have the power to drive.  Something like the P7 is meant to be portable so I'm assuming it's relatively easy to drive and should pair well.  Assuming being the key word.*

Well one thing I'm finding is that this little thing runs hot to the touch. Sounds good with my Hifiman 400i.

May 18, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #63 of 108
Still loving my experience with the D3. I have found it to run a bit warm, but I really don't find it to be hot at all. I like the way they make my  SE 535 sound. It truly is a lot better than running it straight from my laptop, I also use it at home to run my DT990's but it really doesn't power them as much as I'd like. So I am going to keep this one to use at work and my car and will start to save up for a proper amp/dac for my desktop. All in all money well spent

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #64 of 108
Does anyone know if it is easy to replace the usb connector on the D3? I had it plugged to my laptop with a headphone connected. Then, I walk around with the headphone, forgetting it is connected, and I pulled the chord. The headphone is fine, but the D3 usb is bent. I should have used a usb extension cable.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #65 of 108
You should be able to remove the 4 screws and desolder the usb from mains board and use an old usb remove that and place it in D3 with solder.

Good luck.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #67 of 108
I currently own an iPhone 6 and pair it with my Westone W50s, what cable do I need to connect it from the amp to my iphone? (From the usb end to the headphone jack)

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #68 of 108
The D3 is not intended to work with portables/phones. It is powered by a USB port in your computer. Phones just don't provide enough power to use this way.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #69 of 108
  The D3 is not intended to work with portables/phones. It is powered by a USB port in your computer. Phones just don't provide enough power to use this way.

Oh thanks for saving me there, I was *this* close to making a purchase after I found out you can get an apple camera adapter to work with the usb. On a side note I really want a portable amp which is the size of the D3 when I'm out and about, do you have any recommendations?

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #70 of 108
You should listen to my Devialet 120 /Kef LS50 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #71 of 108
  Oh thanks for saving me there, I was *this* close to making a purchase after I found out you can get an apple camera adapter to work with the usb. On a side note I really want a portable amp which is the size of the D3 when I'm out and about, do you have any recommendations?

Don't know of any worthwhile amps the size of the D3. A battery potent enough to power a good amp is larger than the D3 by itself.  The Fiio Fujiyama EO6 is pretty small, but I have never heard it: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/5. I carry some other Fiio products and like the way they sound. Their minimum order quantity for the EO6 has prevented me from ordering them.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #72 of 108
Hi im been looking and reading reviews...so far my options for a laptop ring...is fulla-fiio q1-kunlun e18-- audioquest Dragonfly... (60-160)
So which one...my headphones are oppo pm3, sennheiser hd 630 and beat studio 2.0.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #73 of 108
Picked up the d3 a few days ago and I've been testing it on everything. 

Through my macbook pro:
With my MDR 7506's and Grado sr225's, the difference in sq is subtle, but noticeable. $150 difference? Probably not. 
With my Senn hd 600's you can really hear the difference when you crank it up. Of course, the Mac's internal DAC/amp just doesn't have the juice to power those headphones, well not very well, anyway. 

Through my Toshiba laptop:
Credit to Apple for offering a quality laptop DAC, because Toshiba's DAC doesn't come close to the d3. This is great for me, because now I can use my Toshiba as an media player through my stereo receiver.

Through my macbook pro to audioengine a5+'s:
I tested my girlfriend without telling her which was which and she said the d3 selections sounded "more crisp", but it was, again, very close. At low to moderate volumes, you may not hear much of an improvement, but if you want to crank it up when you're hosting a party, the d3 is going to give you a quality sound at high volumes. 

I may pick up the dragon fly next just to see if there's a jump in quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back