Amazing Audioengine D3 ...
Dec 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #46 of 108
Hey does anyone know if this will synergize well with a pair of Philips Fidelio X2s? They're a bit warm and smooth so I'm worried this will make them sound too syrupy/slow. Is this a lively sounding device with good bass impact but just on the warn aide of things?

I'm tossing up between this and the DF V1.2. Gonna be used straight from my Note 4.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #47 of 108
Hey does anyone know if this will synergize well with a pair of Philips Fidelio X2s? They're a bit warm and smooth so I'm worried this will make them sound too syrupy/slow. Is this a lively sounding device with good bass impact but just on the warn aide of things?

I'm tossing up between this and the DF V1.2. Gonna be used straight from my Note 4.

I love my D3 and can assure you, it's not warm. It does bring out the lower end with a tiny bit more punch than neutral but it's not a warm DAC/Amp. To be sure I just listened to my UE900s with it and well... 

Cheers,
K

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #48 of 108
This device has me intrigued as I currently own a AQDFv1 and V1.2 USB dac.

There is a substantial difference between v1.2 and v1. The v1 is more analog and more punchier in the lower bass with excellent transparency and non-congestion in the soundstage. The v1.2 is more top end and midrange to the point of excessive on the high freq. Matching them carefully is critical with headphones I have found.

For those that have the D3 is the unit neutral or does it tend to focus to one frequency domain like the DFv1 and v1.2.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #49 of 108
This device has me intrigued as I currently own a AQDFv1 and V1.2 USB dac.

There is a substantial difference between v1.2 and v1. The v1 is more analog and more punchier in the lower bass with excellent transparency and non-congestion in the soundstage. The v1.2 is more top end and midrange to the point of excessive on the high freq. Matching them carefully is critical with headphones I have found.

For those that have the D3 is the unit neutral or does it tend to focus to one frequency domain like the DFv1 and v1.2.

Hey since you have both versions of the AQDF I wanted to ask which one you think will pair better with the Fidelio X2s?

Are the differences really that substantial?

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #50 of 108
Hey since you have both versions of the AQDF I wanted to ask which one you think will pair better with the Fidelio X2s?

Are the differences really that substantial?

With reference headphones yes the differences are audible.
I am not familiar with the Fidelio X2 so cannot really comment.

I will say this though, that if you wants more dynamic sound, bass slam and warmer analog sound get the v1 DF. It has some flaws though not being compatible at 44.1 and 88.2 sampling rate. I use strictly 24/96 output on both Dragonflies with wasapi and maiko plugin output.
However, if you are after more refinement (sweeter mids softer bass more hissy top end) and less transients/punch/dynamic sound get the v1.2

I like both and it's fun to listen to them after a few weeks with each.
If anything they seem to be a 180 degree reverse mirror of each with the v1 focusing in the lower mid bass and warm whilst v1.2 is more upper midrange and analytical.
Hope this helps. :)

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #52 of 108
Didn't you post a full review on Headfonia as well?

http://www.headfonia.com/audioengine-d3-lil-something-something-headphones/

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #55 of 108
Just got this used for $65 a couple days ago. Lol. I figured I would give it a shot for fun at that price. Anyways, a couple days later and I'm elated with it. For reference, I've owned the E12, E11, E6, HiFiMeDIY, and ELE DAC. Compared to the aforementioned, I love the fact that the D3's AMP and DAC are all in a tiny USB stick. Makes transporting and hooking up the device so much more convenient. (No batteries or extra chargers. Yay!) Most importantly though, the D3 sounds great through my Surface Pro and Galaxy S4; the latter through UAPP. Couple the quality and convenience, and this makes for one hell of device. I highly recommend it; even at MSRP.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #57 of 108
Well I used my D3 every day at work (5 days a week) for something like 9 months and I'm really happy with it.  It's got a nice neutral sound signature and it's nice and incognito so I can leave it at my desk without worrying about it.  Highly recommend this little guy!

Mar 28, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #58 of 108
I have the Audioengine D1, which I have hooked up to my PC running Windows 8.1. Every time I turn it on, I get the message that the USB device isn't recognised. It still works, but it's annoying.
I do hope that this has been remedied in the D3.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #59 of 108
  Well I used my D3 every day at work (5 days a week) for something like 9 months and I'm really happy with it.  It's got a nice neutral sound signature and it's nice and incognito so I can leave it at my desk without worrying about it.  Highly recommend this little guy!

Join me to the club ++++1

I just got mine for a ripper price and it sounds just wonderful.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #60 of 108
I'm planning on buying the D3 for use with my new Macbook 12" retina, and B&W P7. The battery life of this new laptop is probably about 7-8 hours. Can anyone comment about their experience with the D3 and battery life of their laptop? Also would the D3 work well with the P7's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back