Amazing Audioengine D3 ...
Dec 18, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #76 of 108
  Has anyone else noticed that the sample rate indicator is always on?

Mine is always on because I changed audio midi settings (Macbook Pro) to set the dac at 96k. So regardless of what's playing it is upsampled. And considered HD.

You may want to dig in settings to see.

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #79 of 108
I don't listen to the portable headphones (t51i) for regular use with my home set up (maverick d2 dac + little dot mk iv amp). I have a dt880 for that.

I tried them with the desk amp and dac; comparatively the d3 resolution is tad muddled with recessed mids. I can't really say for sure; it may be psychological but its not a very drastic difference. I also tried using the dt880 600Ohm with d3 and although the amp function couldn't drive them to anywhere what the little dot amp can, they were sufficiently loud enough to listen to. And regards to the dac aspect the 880s do sound like a day and night with d3 and when without it- even if controlled for the loudness.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #81 of 108
Can this be a one of must have DAC for under $300? I'm looking for DAC only to play music out of my laptop

That's what I do while studying at library or a public place. Hook up the DAC with my laptop to juice the T51's. 

Elsewhere i had read that most recent (At least the Macbook Pro line up made after late-2013) laptops have decent built-in DACs. But this still delivers a much better performance to my ears and the amp function is just as awesome for the rarity of HPs with high impedance made for on the go.

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #82 of 108
How does the D3 compare to its older brother, the D1?

They are similarly priced, and I would like to know why do you guys prefer the little guy.

I want to buy either one or a dragonfly v1.2 to listen with my AKG K545 and Shure SE315.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #83 of 108

They are similarly priced, and I would like to know why do you guys prefer the little guy.

I want to buy either one or a dragonfly v1.2 to listen with my AKG K545 and Shure SE315.

I think for me at least its the portability of it. For its convenience and size it delivers a very good sound signature.

Regarding DF 1.2, I think you should (I am sure you have already) read comparisons between it and AE 3 (if you go that route). I got the impression that the latter exceeds in many aspects that DF 1.2 does not. Although with DF it is suppose to provide more clarity.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #84 of 108

I think for me at least its the portability of it. For its convenience and size it delivers a very good sound signature.

Regarding DF 1.2, I think you should (I am sure you have already) read comparisons between it and AE 3 (if you go that route). I got the impression that the latter exceeds in many aspects that DF 1.2 does not. Although with DF it is suppose to provide more clarity.

for price and dimension they are basically the same... I've read the reviews and don't know what to make of them! They all speak of subjective drivel, none really reviewing the DACs!

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #85 of 108
You don't really notice how much the D3 improves the sound out of your Macbook, until you've been listening to it for a few months. Now, when I listen straight from the laptop, everything sounds sharp and brittle. Not horrible, but enough to reach for the d3. I didn't have that reaction during the first month of use. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #86 of 108
Hello everyone,

I own the D3 paired with the NAD HP50. It sounds really good (compared to the mediocre sound of my notebook's realtek chip). I'm planning on getting something a little bit better (and with more functions) and selling the D3. My eyes fell on the Oppo Ha-2. Do you think it will make a substantial difference compared to my current setup (D3 + HP50)?
Long time lurker, first time poster here (not new to the pro audio world though).

Felix

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #87 of 108
  Hello everyone,

I own the D3 paired with the NAD HP50. It sounds really good (compared to the mediocre sound of my notebook's realtek chip). I'm planning on getting something a little bit better (and with more functions) and selling the D3. My eyes fell on the Oppo Ha-2. Do you think it will make a substantial difference compared to my current setup (D3 + HP50)?
Long time lurker, first time poster here (not new to the pro audio world though).

Felix

Felix,
With the HP50, I don't think you will find much of a difference moving from the D3 to the HA2. What that would do for you, however, is let you go portable with your phone or DAP. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #88 of 108
Thanks JerseyD,

Based on reviews around I'm thinking on stepping it up a bit more and go for the Chord Mojo. At least I retain the portability and gain some more on the audio quality front :)
What do you guys reccomend otherwise?

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #89 of 108
  Thanks JerseyD,

Based on reviews around I'm thinking on stepping it up a bit more and go for the Chord Mojo. At least I retain the portability and gain some more on the audio quality front :)
What do you guys reccomend otherwise?

I have heard good things about the mojo, but have not heard it myself. If you've got good enough headphones to appreciate the higher quality and don't mind carrying around a unit of that size and price, go for it.  I'm holding out for the CEntrance HiFi Skyn for my iPhone. If it sounds as good as I am hoping, will begin selling them.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #90 of 108
I have heard good things about the mojo, but have not heard it myself. If you've got good enough headphones to appreciate the higher quality and don't mind carrying around a unit of that size and price, go for it.  I'm holding out for the CEntrance HiFi Skyn for my iPhone. If it sounds as good as I am hoping, will begin selling them.

Got the Mojo. Sound quality is really noticeable. Compared to the D3 it sounds more open and the instruments do "breathe" more easily. There's a coherence in tonality that makes me reaching for the Mojo constantly.
The Skyn looks pretty neat. I hace a Galaxy S5 though...iPhones do get all the love :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back