Amazing Audioengine D3 ...
Jan 3, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #91 of 108

I sold off my DF v1.2 in favor with the D3. What's your definition with "superior sound quality"?

If you prefer a more dry and thin, but slightly more detailed sound, the DF wins.  If you prefer a more dynamic and analog sound with more output power, the D3 wins.  Plus the D3 pairs better with my A2 speakers as it should being they are Audioengine products.  Both are good companies, but the D3 offers a 3-year warranty over the 1-year DF.

Second this, according to my initial impressions.

And to make things more interesting, I have obtained D3 used, rather cheaply (about 90 $), whereas the Dragonfly - no less than Red, I received today, and payed more than double for it.

First impressions are that D3 has airier, richer, somewhat sparklier sound. Difficult to put in words, but it sounds richer, more plush, somehow more pleasing to the ear. An extra layer of air surrounding every sound, makes everything simply richer to the ear.

Now, I went for DF red after reading a lot on the threads, and many reviews, and reading them one got the unequivocal impression that the Dragonfly Red is the way to go.

However, thus far, my impression coincide with the reviewer above, regarding how these two sound.

Nothing wrong with DF red, if it turns out that D3 cannot be run of the iPhone without the usb hub power source (which it cannot) the Red would be good to keep for mobile use.

For laptop (MacBook Pro retina) I would easily go with D3. I was inclined for the opposite before comparing them A to B.

Running these in the (half) mobile setup with Denon AH-MM400 cans.

Otherwise, using AKG K701 with headphone amp (EAR90) at home.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #92 of 108
Been listening to this D3 again.

Boy what a beautiful neutral analog sound.

I am so hooked on akamai akm 4396 DAC that I also bought the D1 and that also rox as good as the D3 for my main HiFi system.

Using many dacs - wolfson, sabre, analog devices, Phillips, burr brown , always keep coming back to AKM - the miracle DAC...

Thnx Audioengine you have a true winner..

Anyone purchased dragonfly red and compared against the D3?

If anything my v1 dragonfly is a real keeper and similar to akm4396.
What is in the dragonfly red? is it like v1.2?

Tia.

May 27, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #93 of 108
Why do you guys think the D3 is relatively warm compared to the Dragonfly v1.2? According to one blogster who uses RightMark for measurements, the Dragonfly v1.2 and Audioengine D3 have essentially the same frequency response curve and same output impedance of 10 ohm. What could be causing the large discrepancy in sound?

May 27, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #94 of 108
Why do you guys think the D3 is relatively warm compared to the Dragonfly v1.2? According to one blogster who uses RightMark for measurements, the Dragonfly v1.2 and Audioengine D3 have essentially the same frequency response curve and same output impedance of 10 ohm. What could be causing the large discrepancy in sound?
I have both of these, and have been using both for some time. It is really difficult to talk about sound in terms of words such as "warm" and "cold", to me the D3 is more refined sounding, and responds to
going up in the volume more uniformly - compared to Dragonfly, where after 80-85 % volume, about there somewhere, going any further results in unproportional increase in - well - piercing and sharpness in the sound. D3 sounds in general, again, to me, more relaxed and easier to listen to in high volume, allowing more enjoyment at that level of amplification, and has steady increase in perceived volume output (by the user) proportional to the volume increase with volume control.
And D3 is able to output more into the can as well.
Dragonfly can be used of the Iphone SE without additional - external power source, D3 cannot, hence big advantage for mobile use to the Dragonfly. It also has its own sound character, or signature, it is a different flavor, and I do not dislike it at all, on the contrary.
EDIT: they use different chips, these two, and that might be the possible explanation as to why these two differ in sound character as well.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #95 of 108

The 32bit sabre dac v the 24bit akamai miracle dac.

New is not necessarily better.
:)

May 27, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #97 of 108
The 32bit sabre dac v the 24bit akamai miracle dac.

New is not necessarily better.

Which one is newer? And what exactly is it that causes the difference, the 32 bit or what?

May 27, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #98 of 108
Which one is newer? And what exactly is it that causes the difference, the 32 bit or what?

Audioquest Dragofly and the DAC within it are newer, and the difference is obviously not due to the number of bits, but instead due to the character of the (well praised) akamai dac (24-bit, implemented in the D3).
Soundwise, again, to me, D3 is the better one, but on the other hand, it has higher power consumption, and D3 hence cannot be used directly of the Iphone SE.
32 bits should give more resolution, but the AudioQuest have been dealing not only with the sound, but in designing the DAC they had to design the whole thing, including development of the new chip (correct me here on terminology and other stuff, anyone) with lower power consumption, they have been very meticulous about it, which is never simple nor easy.
Incidentally, D3 has been on sale during these days, for $79, which is really bang for the buck when used of the laptop or desktop.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #99 of 108
Audioquest Dragofly and the DAC within it are newer, and the difference is obviously not due to the number of bits, but instead due to the character of the (well praised) akamai dac (24-bit, implemented in the D3).
Soundwise, again, to me, D3 is the better one, but on the other hand, it has higher power consumtion, and D3 hence cannot be used directly of the Iphone SE.
32 bits should give more resolution, but the AudioQuest have been dealing not only with the sound, but in designing the DAC they had to design the whole thing, including development of the new chip (correct me here on terminology and other stuff, anyone) with lower power consumption, they have been very meticulous about it, which is never simple nor easy.
Incidentally, D3 has been on sale during these days, for $79, which is really bang for the buck when used of the laptop or desktop.
tbh nothing can beat it for the price point

May 27, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #100 of 108
tbh nothing can beat it for the price point

Honestly, I have no idea, I don't know what else is out there and most of all how the competing offerings compare in the terms of sound. What Dragonfly "looses" in comparison in terms of price, it does compensate for in terms of use with smartphone (read Iphone SE, for instance). It is highly efficient, in terms of power consumption, it can be used without additional power source of the Iphone (SE) and that's in my experience rather convenient. It doesn't get as nearly as warm (hardly at all) whereas the D3 has a life of it's own in that regard; sometimes it gets unpleasantly warm for no apparent reason, and sometimes only warm.
There are other good USB DACs there, I am certain of it; having said that, for the use of the laptop and desktop, I find the D3 to be a very attractive offer for the given price. Difficult to find better for the price, I would guess.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #101 of 108
I'll be trying the Audioengine D3 and Dragonfly v1.2 very soon, along with the FiiO K1. The ultra low distortion and crosstalk make the D3 look awesome on paper, and I'm expecting a very clean and wide soundstage.

Would anyone be willing to vouch for Dragonfly Red > Audioengine D3 or is the D3 that good?

May 28, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #102 of 108
D3 easily surpasses the v1.2 DF.
But that's my opinion and audio is subjective so use your ears.
The DF v1.0 well that's another story much much closer.
The new red dragonfly haven't heard but still
Sabre so expect the expected.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #103 of 108
I'd really like to figure out exactly what it is about the D3 DAC that makes it sound more "analog." Is the DAC more or less accurate than other products in its class? Might it have something to do with the waveform quality (a, b)? And why did the whathifi reviewer say the D3 "lacks clarity, detail and dynamics"? Why do many reviewers say there's noticeable treble roll-off even though the level of roll-off seen in frequency response graphs is only at -.3 dB at 20 KHz, which is minimal and the same as most DAC-AMPS?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #104 of 108
I'd really like to figure out exactly what it is about the D3 DAC that makes it sound more "analog." Is the DAC more or less accurate than other products in its class? Might it have something to do with the waveform quality (a, b)? And why did the whathifi reviewer say the D3 "lacks clarity, detail and dynamics"? Why do many reviewers say there's noticeable treble roll-off even though the level of roll-off seen in frequency response graphs is only at -.3 dB at 20 KHz, which is minimal and the same as most DAC-AMPS?

It's not about accuracy it's about algorithms.

Don't trust reviewers, trust your ears.

Jun 3, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #105 of 108
A few key things I'm hearing with the D3 compared to the DF v1.2. The D3 sounds more 3D, a bit bassier in the low end, and cleaner in general. I was shocked initially because I didn't expect it to live up to the hype and what I wanted out of it, and lo and behold it's best case scenario. It's for sure a keeper. Easily the most dynamic and "real" sounding mini DAC I've heard (next to a few of the Creative ones, DF v1.2, and FiiO K1)

Btw this is with the Etymotic ER4SR earphones (~45 ohm), which probably benefit more than most headphones from increased perception of low bass. So Etymotic owners, yes, absolutely try the D3!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back