Amatuer, non-technical review: ath m50, denon d2000, shure 840, all with and without TTVJ Slim
Apr 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

franklyshankly

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this in the portable amp forum because it started out as a question about amps, but turned into an all out throwdown between these headphones. Just thought I'd move it to this forum since people seem to be curious about these headphones ... here ya go!

"
Okay, just in case anyone is actually curious about the showdown between shure 840, ATH M50, and Denon D2000, it's pretty short and sweet for me. This will probably annoy a bunch of people, and it kind of annoys me because I prefer to go against the grain, but I've never had an easier decision. The important thing to remember its that this decision is only based on my needs and tastes, which are probably a lot different and equally valid compared to everyone else ... that being said ...

The ATH-M50 is hands down my favorite. I cannot believe how impressive these phones are, not even for the money but just on their own merits. I'm really impressed. I don't have time to write a huge, detailed review but I'll break it down real quick. Also, based on Shure 840 with 100+ hours of burn in versus d2000 and m50 out of the box. To remind people I was disappointed with bass output from 840 coming out of my iPod touch, so I bought the TTVJ Slim and wasn't satisfied ....

SH840 is great, very detailed, very well built (but HUGE and HEAVY ... and I'm a pretty large guy and this stuff usually doesnt bother me, but they are enormous and clunky. Not totally uncomfortable but you could use these for ear muffs in the winter, seriously) ... mids are great, highs are still kind of piercing, bass for me is still non existent, just totally weak and unforgivably disappointing. Hasn't changed at all after burn in, amp helps to make things punchier, and more articulate, and helps to fill out vocals (vocals in the 840's with the TTVJ are pretty f-ing amazing), but the low bass is still missing and the punch is weak compared to the M50. Isolation is great and they leak the least of all three.

Then I tried the Denon. I was put off almost immediately because they are clearly for home use, I would never take these out of the house, both because they just seem too nice, and there is something fragile about them, though they are clearly well built and they ARE the nicest looking of the three. Very very light, and super comfortable, i LOVE the cord (it's fabric, no way it can tangle, although I dont like that the cord comes out of both cans). Sounds quality unamped out of iPod is overall better for me than the 840's. The bass goes deeper (so, lil Wayne would sound better on these than the Shure's) but is not as punchy (rock is maybe the same for both, probably a hair better on the Shures, although the mids can make things congested on the Shure's if there is too much going on) ... amping with the TTVJ Slim improved these the most. Bass went deeper yet, but failed to add much punchiness. Side note, I'm guessing the punchiness will improve with burn in but it's hard for me to burn them in because they leak horribly. I usually plug phones into my ipod, wrap them in a shirt and let them sit for hours playing, but the Denon phones dont close together like the Shures and AT's, so they just blare ... I know I'm not keeping these so I'm not going to bother burning them. But yeah, amp helped overall, could pump them much louder, soundstage was the best on these by quite a bit, very open sounding (probably because they ARE more open, literally, than the other two, not suitable for use in public). But the amp did not add enough punchiness.

Okay, really have to go but the m50's sound amazing out of the box, unamped. They are just the best for my ears. I was worried they would not have enough bass (lots of discrepancy on this site about that, some think too much, some say none at all, and some site different *versions* with different amounts of bass ... I got a white box, fwiw) ... unamped they go deeper than Denon's amped and are punchier than 840's amped (actually *much* punchier than any config of ether of the others) ... the m50 is exactly what I wanted and more. It has the same mid quality as the Shure's (though it's less pronounced because it is overall more balanced ... Shure mids are emphasized because of lack of low end and shrill treb), the m50's go so nice and deep, the highs are just right for me, but perhaps for some people they dont "sing" enough? Nit-picking here because I cannot fault them on anything, but maybe the highs could be better *for some*? For me they sounds very clear, and most importantly, NOT shrill. They sound clearer than the Denon's. They are like the Shure's but lighter, much better looking, bassier, punchier, less shrill, and equally textured and full in the mids. Damn, it feels nice to be satisfied!!!!

Amping did almost nothing for the m50's, almost nothing at all. I'm sure there must be a tecnical difference that some chart could highlight, but for me, a totally casual non-audiophile, there is NO difference. The m50's are perfect on there own coming from the iPod. Couldn't be happier. I'm curious to see what effect burn in has, if any, but I'm relieved to know that if they don't change at all, I'll be very satisfied (compared to Shure's, with those I was always saying to myself "yeah, their great but they'll get better with burn in" then when that didnt happen had to get an amp, and still not happy)

Amp is going back, Clip is going back, Denon's and Shure's going back. I got an EQ app for my touch which, while not perfect, does allow for some adjustment that the regular one is lacking. I'm happy. Oh, and the m50's are the most portable, MUCH lighter than the 840'S, smaller than both, small enough that I wouldn't mind walking down the street with them at all. They are super comfy, lightweight, and while I can't say they are super rugged, they do seem on par with the 840's in terms of quality construction. They isolate as well as the 840's but they leak a tad more ...

I know the m50's are considered FOTM, and I am usually skeptical of trendy things (TMA-1, for example hold ZERO appeal to me, total hype) but the m50's get all around great reviews from both casual listeners and professionals. There is a reason for that! I have to add to the chorus of praise for these things, I am immensely impressed. No reservations, no "buts", just can't wait to stop typing and start listening to sweet music!

I tested all kinds of music: Phillip Glass, the Knife, Fred Neil, Arvo Part, Pavement, Wilco, Spoon, Autechre, lots of indie, new wave, folk, etc. Very varied and the m50's seem to handle everything.

I'll add that after listening to them all day, the bass *can* be really strong and perhaps not perfectly refined. I'm totally happy with this, I'd rather err on this side of bassiness than too little. Also, high-hats and other "sssssss" sounds can start to pierce when the volume is cranked. I'm just trying to be as fair and objective as possible, and not let my affection for these cloud my judgment, LOL ... I could see how these would be too bassy for people. For me, these are fun and musical versus flat and transparent. I can heartily recommend them to anyone unsatisfied with the bass output in the Shure 840's. They are very similar phones in many ways, similar tone, similarly balanced, it's as if someone just cranked the bass up on the 840's .... and cut the weight in half!!!

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Great review.
Maybe you should alter your avatar/user image, it's those darn Shures you returned 
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Great review.  Which headphone do you think is the best for vocals?

For me the Shure's are the best for vocals, though the m50's are no slouch! I have a hunch that the slightly recessed bass of the Shure allows the admittedly fantastic mids to shine. The m50 have similar tone but the low end can distract a bit from the vocal. For me this is actually favorable most of the time, so it works.

Quote:
Great review.
Maybe you should alter your avatar/user image, it's those darn Shures you returned 
wink_face.gif

Good call, thanks! I hope it don't seem like I'm bashing any of these phones, they are all truly fantastic, just six of this, half dozen of another ... or something like that! Different strokes for different folks. I tried to give some of the strengths of each. And it's not like the m50's are perfect, not by a long shot, they just suit my needs at a price that's hard to ignore!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back