[Amateur Review] Audio Technica (CK10,CK90PRO,CK100), Monster (Turbine Pro Gold, Miles Davis), Ortofon e-Q7
Apr 19, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #17 of 87
nice review!

i like this analogy. "If you consider the bass impact of the CK10 like a knock on a door then the e-Q7 would be a banging on the door. In contrast something like the Golds would be a bulldozer demolishing the door."

if you like analytical or balance, you should try copper i guess. I haven't receive mine but thats what i read about them ><

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #18 of 87
I've tried the coppers for around 2 hours on Saturday when I met up with Kunlun. They were enjoyable but nowhere near analytical but closer to balanced but with a splash of fun. They aren't for me for long term but for a few hours is not bad
smily_headphones1.gif

You should really thank shigzeo since it was inspried by a post of his a while back. Actually I forgot to PM him about using that analogy. Hopefully it's fine to do that but shigzeo if you see this and don't want me using that I'll take it off although I did credit you on that.

Also I would have liked to hear the FX700 but my wallet can't handle it and from what I read based on James and cn11's findings they aren't for me and they are open which is unacceptable for me since I do a lot of listening on the go.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #19 of 87
Impressive review! Great and informative read. I wish these fortunate events would happen to me, lol. I envy you.
tongue.gif
I definitely agree with you on the Gold, CK10, and CK100.

Thanks a lot for the time and effort!

Edit: You should paint the CK90Pro to make it nice and shiny. I feel sorry for them next to the other IEMs.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #20 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeFFz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review!

i like this analogy. "If you consider the bass impact of the CK10 like a knock on a door then the e-Q7 would be a banging on the door. In contrast something like the Golds would be a bulldozer demolishing the door."<

x2, I almost spit my morning coffee reading it. Thanks @rawrster for this very nice and entertaining read, I greatly appreciate all the work you've put into your extensive review. Moreover, I second almost everything you said and hereby declare that the "Amateur" word in your thread title is gravely misleading.
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #22 of 87
@rawrster,

Thanks for taking the time to write your very detailed and extended review,it was very imformative and a very injoyable read.You have a hidden talent for writing there rawrster that you've been keeping to yourself
regular_smile .gif

The ck10 not reproducing cymbals very well is a bit of a worry ,is it very noticable?

I agree with all you said about the golds and the ortos although to me personaly the orts deffently sound like a ba iem as opposed to a dymanic

fantastic review
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #23 of 87
Awesome write up rawster! I have always been wondering how my CK90Pros that I bought a bit out on a limb stacked up against some of the other options out there. I'm glad to find out I'm not missing out on toooo much it seems. Have you tried fiddling with the foam on the CK90Pro? You might be pleasantly surprised!
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@rawrster,

The ck10 not reproducing cymbals very well is a bit of a worry ,is it very noticable?

I am not rawrster but the answer is yes,but not always.I especially noticed that they sound a bit metallic and overly 'splashy' or sparkly when listening to country and metal.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #25 of 87
Cracking review, seemed to have covered all bases. Will definitely be keeping a track of your future reviews as, like joker pointed out, you seem to have hit the ck90pros right on the mark. I've had them for a while now and your remarks about bass, smoothness, treble roll off, separation and even build quality are bang on (cables have started to kink and sever on mine after half a year of ownership).

Hmm, I suppose the flipside is that the Miles Davis' are now officially on my to-buy list!

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #26 of 87
@AwakenedBeing: it's only fortunate if you are happy with what you have. If not then say goodbye to your wallet :p

@lucozade: I find that quite tip dependent. With triple flanges it's not bad at all. I suspect that if you EQ the treble down it might help but I'm too lazy to even try that. Actually I find the cymbals on all BA drivers are not that great imo. On another note it may be a talent but I have no more earphones that are not on the first couple posts here so I think I'm done :p

@a recording: I did look at the nozzle when I first received them and they did have some foam inside them. Whether it is stock or foam has had some of it removed and then put back in I have no idea. The phones are not mine which means modding is up to the owner and not me. I would have liked to try it with the foam modded but oh well.

@james: well this is my first review so hence the amateur
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 87
@rawrster, thanks for the review!
beerchug.gif
You are no doubt a treblehead and a analytical guy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you consider the bass impact of the CK10 like a knock on a door then the e-Q7 would be a banging on the door. In contrast something like the Golds would be a bulldozer demolishing the door.

x3. I like this too. I have a pair of e-Q7 coming around this weekend
bigsmile_face.gif
Just wonder who was the guy keep saying his next purchase will be a custom
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back