Am I the only one a little "blah" about the HF-1?
Sep 10, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #46 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Any wooden headphone for $200 is an absolute bargain.

I know a lot of people who buy ATH-W100/ATH-W1000 just to look at them.

True, but the HF-1 is not a wooden headphone like those others. Considering the outside shell is still plastic, I don't think people are going to be buying it for its looks hehe.

As for me, I'm more in the "blah" camp I suppose. Really it would be more accurately the "I don't care one way or the other camp" but "blah" will suffice.
wink.gif
I already have the 325i, and don't see the need for another Grado lest I decide to step up to the RS-1/PS-1 league. (Which I don't see happening any time soon.) Between that and the fact that I already dropped over $200 into music last week, and have the K701 piquing my interest for later purchases... the HF-1 just doesn't interest me. For those interested in them though, more power to them. However, I can't help but think that quite a few of the HF-1 purchases are purely impulse buys fueled by this mass rush to get one that will be regretted in some way later.

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #47 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kwisatz
True, but the HF-1 is not a wooden headphone like those others. Considering the outside shell is still plastic, I don't think people are going to be buying it for its looks hehe.

At $200 it's kinda hard to complain about the earcups not being wood especially since the part thats going to affect the SQ is wood.
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #48 of 208
I put my order in just to piss-off the people that don't like Grados.

Seriously, I don't want to invest anymore money in headphones, but I like my SR225s and figured wth. "Curious" is probably the most honest reason I can give for making the purchase. Grados, you either love em or ya don't.

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #49 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
At $200 it's kinda hard to complain about the earcups not being wood especially since the part thats going to affect the SQ is wood.
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining hehe. For the price, they are a good deal. I'm just saying that to call them wooden headphones and compare them to the other woodies isn't exactly accurate.

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #50 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27

Although I'll probably be using UE-10 over this, it will look good on the banana hanger in my room and provide sentimental value. It will also alllow people who are not in the know to get a taste of hi-fi sound.

-Matt

Matt, you got the UE-10 already?!!!

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #51 of 208
My father really likes my MS-2s when he listens to them, so to show my appreciation to Grado and Head-Fi I sold them to him for $200 and bought myself a pair of HF-1s!! This is going to be my 'end' can, and I'm going to mod the heck out of it (I've read that woody recabled 225s are awesome)

Plus I'm hoping going back to standard Grados after using MS-2s will recapture some of that in-your-face magicalness I've been missing.

And it's just damn cool. Y'know?

I can see it now: "Headphile Woody Recabled Grado HF-1 'Head-Phi 1'"

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #52 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
My father really likes my MS-2s when he listens to them, so to show my appreciation to Grado and Head-Fi I sold them to him for $200 and bought myself a pair of HF-1s!! This is going to be my 'end' can, and I'm going to mod the heck out of it (I've read that woody recabled 225s are awesome)

Plus I'm hoping going back to standard Grados after using MS-2s will recapture some of that in-your-face magicalness I've been missing.

And it's just damn cool. Y'know?

I can see it now: "Headphile Woody Recabled Grado HF-1 'Head-Phi 1'"

Actually Larry is looking forward to modding these cans alot - the woodied SR225 still had to use the plastic driver housing, but with the HF-1 the driver housing will be wood - match that with some crazy extended external housing, and that sound chamber is going to kick butt i bet!

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #54 of 208
I'm not sure how I feel about them yet, primarily because I haven't heard them! I'm looking forward to a back-to-back comparison with my 325i's. It will take dramatically different sound signatures for me to keep both. So at $200 it was a good opportunity to try something new and see if I can end up with a pair of cans I might prefer over the 325i's for less $$$.

Geeez, HF-1's and a Zu Mobius for my 650's all in one week... my ears win!

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #55 of 208
Also, despite all the complaints about Grado build quality, I highly doubt any of the HF-1s will arrive in anything other than excellent condition.

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #56 of 208
If I had the cash, I'd snatch them up in a second! Seems like a good deal to me, and at a good price point. It seems like this phone's top priority is sound, and is aimed directly at the Head-Fi community. I'm interested in why John would semi-woody them. That is, he actually has to make two different pieces for the housing instead of just making one. One would think making it all wood or all plastic would be easier. But we'll just have to see once the reviews start rolling in!

I'm also wondering how long this phone is going to be around. Eventually I'll get a job, but I have to wait until all of this college stuff and more importantly (because of its time demands) marching band season is over, to even think about getting one.

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #57 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

edit - oh yeah, and it helps out Head-fi to the tune of 25 bucks, so it's more like you're getting it for 175 with a 25 donation to head-fi. nice!

That's a very good point~ hmmn..

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #58 of 208
Another "not buying here", even though I think it's very cool that they are doing this.

Frankly, I recently owned the 225's and after listening to them next to a pair of RS-2's, there's no way I'd buying anything less than the RS-2 from now on.

I'd posted in one of the other threads that I'd go for an HF-2. I'm only really interested in a signature can from Grado(or anyone else) at this point. A HF version of the HP-1000 would be cool, or some variation on the PS-1 theme. Factory wired for balanced mode, please.
evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
Dan

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #59 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4
I'm not sure how I feel about them yet, primarily because I haven't heard them! I'm looking forward to a back-to-back comparison with my 325i's. It will take dramatically different sound signatures for me to keep both. So at $200 it was a good opportunity to try something new and see if I can end up with a pair of cans I might prefer over the 325i's for less $$$.

Geeez, HF-1's and a Zu Mobius for my 650's all in one week... my ears win!

Wow someone else from NH,
cool.gif

We should organize a NH meet sometime although I can't imagine there would be too many members

Users who are viewing this thread

Back