Am I the only one a little "blah" about the HF-1?
Sep 10, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 208
For me....

Ive always wanted an SR225. I do like the sound, first and foremost that is the most important thing. Cheap plastic construction though kind of held me back. My MS2 is my fave can, but it tends to slide off my head lying down so I've been kind of contemplating an SR225 purchase.

Used SR225s go for around $170 shipped

HF-1 is $200 with $25 going towards headfi, so youre getting a new SR225 for $175 with a Headfi donation.

Of course its not really an SR225... but one tweeked by John Grado. Rumored to have more bass, probably as a result of different earcup geometry and materials (which is a good thing IMHO).

Garrett

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
For me....

Ive always wanted an SR225. I do like the sound, first and foremost that is the most important thing. Cheap plastic construction though kind of held me back. My MS2 is my fave can, but it tends to slide off my head lying down so I've been kind of contemplating an SR225 purchase.

Used SR225s go for around $170 shipped

HF-1 is $200 with $25 going towards headfi, so youre getting a new SR225 for $175 with a Headfi donation.

Of course its not really an SR225... but one tweeked by John Grado. Rumored to have more bass, probably as a result of different earcup geometry and materials (which is a good thing IMHO).

Garrett

Exactly.

However, the thing that is preventing me from returning my purchase is whether or not this will indeed be a limited production run or not... it depreciates the value if anyone who wants to get one can get one when they want one...

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #18 of 208
Whether or not they are a Head-Fi exclusive,if you don't like the Grado sound,which I don't(no offense to the members),it's a complete waste of $175.Yes,having a limited edition set of cans is cool,but how can anyone honestly say that it's not throwing money away if they'll never get used(save for the money that goes to Head-Fi).Please guys don't get me wrong,I'm really anxious to hear these phones and I hope they change my mind,but I've heard them all from PS-1's down so I'm waiting to hear a set before jumping the gun.I may lose out if the supply dries up too quickly,but that will be my loss.Gary.

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I don't have enough money to be excited about the HF-1.

Word...

Much as i'd like to get one of the exclusive HF1s.. I just don't have the green... I'm going to be on Ramen this month as it is, let alone having to sell my parents to fund a new headphone purchase...

There is always the used market in a few months...

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by RooX
in reply to guss2:

im not sure what your point is then.. if you dont like grados, then ignore them? what are you proving by rattling off about your dislike for th egrado sound?

Negative opinions can be just as useful as positive ones. If all we heard in this forum was grado love, that would be a poor representation of reality.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 208
What's your problem Roox,my response was to the original posters question as to who was'nt that excited about them,that's all.I even mentioned that I hope they sound good,because I would also like to own a Head-Fi only can.The original poster mentions their up front sound,which is my same feeling.If they sound good,I'll buy them,period.Let's not turn this into a pissing contest,allright.Gary.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 208
All those who bring up Sennheiser...don't you understand they are a huge company and would NEVER cater to something like this. That is why they are what they are, a big business. They can offer a good product at a good price, with no real face to go with it. On the other hand Grado is a small business, willing to get it's face into the picture for it's customer (or possible customer) base. That is why John was willing to do this.

Sennheiser could car less about Head-fi, they just want money. Obviously John needs money to keep his buisness alive, but as you have read, he cares more about his family and his life outside of his business. So maybe he doesn't have the money to drop in R&D work every year to bring out new products that don't necessarily improve upon previous products...but he can make speciality products.

I might just have to order some HF-1's.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #24 of 208
Roox, Did you read the title of this thread?
wink.gif
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Guss2 was responding to why he is not that excited about the HF-1s.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 208
chalk my bitch fest up to a grumpy morning and reading guss2's post a bit wrong. i came off to harsh, my apologies.

on a semi related note.. torrential rain sucks.. not sure my basement is going to recover.

continueon boys and girls. i wont complain anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
All those who bring up Sennheiser...don't you understand they are a huge company and would NEVER cater to something like this. That is why they are what they are, a big business. They can offer a good product at a good price, with no real face to go with it. On the other hand Grado is a small business, willing to get it's face into the picture for it's customer (or possible customer) base. That is why John was willing to do this.

Sennheiser could car less about Head-fi, they just want money.

Ummmmm, did Sennheiser not create 18 extra pairs of a limited edition headphone because of demand partly (mainly?) exhibited through this site?

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #28 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
All those who bring up Sennheiser...don't you understand they are a huge company and would NEVER cater to something like this.

Speaking for myself, I just said I wished it was Sennheiser, purely because I like the sound of Sennheisers. I won't buy headphones as a decorative item, and since I don't like the Grado sound that's essentially what they'd be.

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #29 of 208
Im not getting one because:

* It is not a true woody
* I dont think the SR-225 is all that "special"
* I would have liked an all woody SR-225 - THAT is a 225 I would go for at $200.00

I support the site via donations etc. so that is not a selling point as far as I am concerned.

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #30 of 208
Personaly i'd love a pair, Not just because they have been constructed for 'us' but because i've heard a heap of good things about the 225's... Alas though, after my recent splurge on the HD650's - the 'phone coffers will be bare for a month or so
frown.gif
Now if they were going to be available for a longer time...
evil_smiley.gif
[size=xx-small](Put a pair under the desk for me Todd!)[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back