Am I the only one a little "blah" about the HF-1?
Sep 10, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #31 of 208
I'd be all for seeing a SE Sennheisser as well, even though I wouldn't get it. But the way I see it, it's like Microsoft vs random linux distro. Respectively Sennheisser vs Grado. Senn is going to keep pumping out quality products to appeal to the masses, and I'm guessing Headfi represents less than .25% of it's purchasers, and they're making good money. Now Grado being the smaller company is going to try and tailer something to the people every now and then, give interviews, leave feedback, etc.

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #32 of 208
No interest here. It looks like yet another different paint job and hub-caps on a design that does not work for me. That said, I think it is fun that everyone gets so worked up over it. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm for a hobby.

gerG

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #33 of 208
The Grado sound just isn't for me. I've demoed various pairs on various pads and simply put, it doesn't wow me or anything.

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #34 of 208
after knowing that it is a partial woodie, sr225, it really didn't intrigue me all that much. but of coz, it was all exciting when nobody knows exactly what it was yesterday morning
biggrin.gif
and I have decided to pick up a pair of ms-2i(299shipped), which i concluded that it was sonically more superior than the 225, it really makes no sense for me to pay around $215-225 to get the hf-1. So I didnt jump on the bandwagon, but might get it when they appear @ fs/ft for around 170shipped
smily_headphones1.gif
but nonetheless, the HF-1 is a good opportunity for ppl who have decided to get the 225 around this time
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #35 of 208
I thought it was a nice gesture, but i tried the ms-2is and banned the whole line from my ears a while back like some other folk, so it is a bit of a moot point. I dunno if i woulda started a thread about it though
biggrin.gif

I thought they were a bit pricey to for a can under the 325i, wood or no I wouldn't go backward like that. I am amazed that so many folks are lining up to buy them frankly.

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #36 of 208
This would be a no-brainer for me if I didn't already own a pair of woodified 225's. Seeing as how my current cans are already a smoother, more balanced Grado... DAMMIT!
very_evil_smiley.gif
I might pick up a pair anyway, just for the collectibility factor. I'd be donating again to Head-Fi either way, so that's not even an issue.

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
I thought it was a nice gesture, but i tried the ms-2is and banned the whole line from my ears a while back like some other folk, so it is a bit of a moot point. I dunno if i woulda started a thread about it though
biggrin.gif

I thought they were a bit pricey to for a can under the 325i, wood or no I wouldn't go backward like that. I am amazed that so many folks are lining up to buy them frankly.

which is pretty much what I thought too.....

Ms2-i = $299
HF-1 = $215-225
my hd650 = $300+

if I were to pay 200 bucks extra for the HF-1, I'd rather sell everything and get the RS-1 once and for all
icon10.gif
(if there is....."once and for all"
tongue.gif
)

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 208
I liked the sr-225s when I had them. I actually regret selling them. This is the main reason I'm getting the HF-1. I'ts also nice to have a can made for us head-fiers. Plus I could care less that the whole thing isn't woodied because I'm gonna have larry at headphile fix that anyways.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #40 of 208
Just my luck, bad timing. Just ordered MS-2's this week so I am BLAH about the HF-1's or I would have called Todd 2day and ordered a pair.

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #41 of 208
Edit: Nevermind. This was a response to something that has already been worked out very nicely between the two members involved. I should have read the entire thread before posting.

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #42 of 208
I nearly bought a pair of HF-1, but then after letting it settle for a while I realized that I really can't afford them. $200 is about what I pay for food every month and I still have many more bills to pay.
plainface.gif

Plus I've never heard a Grado before, so $200 for a pair of headphones no one has reviewed (and many have not even seen yet) seemed too risky. I'll settle back into my original plan of buying the sr60 (or sr80, ms1) when I get a little more money. Until then I'm happy with the hd280, ksc75 and e2c.
280smile.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #44 of 208
Any wooden headphone for $200 is an absolute bargain.

I know a lot of people who buy ATH-W100/ATH-W1000 just to look at them.

Although I'll probably be using UE-10 over this, it will look good on the banana hanger in my room and provide sentimental value. It will also alllow people who are not in the know to get a taste of hi-fi sound.

For all that it provides, it is an absolute bargain.

-Matt

Sep 10, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #45 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Any wooden headphone for $200 is an absolute bargain.

I know a lot of people who buy ATH-W100/ATH-W1000 just to look at them.

Although I'll probably be using UE-10 over this, it will look good on the banana hanger in my room and provide sentimental value. It will also alllow people who are not in the know to get a taste of hi-fi sound.

For all that it provides, it is an absolute bargain.

-Matt

Matt really nails it (IMHO)

It is an ABSOLUTE STEAL!!!

Im involved with other audio related forums... Termpro (car audio), Kramer guitars are my favorites. They do have promotional, Limited runs for various events and such. Just like the HF-1, a sign up sheet is circulated, serial numbers are issued and the celebrated items are serialized and shipped.

The catch here is, in those other forums you typically spend 3-4 TIMES what the "regular" item costs. So, by those unwritten rules we should be paying $500-$600 for the HF-1. The fact that its no more than the regular SR225 makes it a bargain in my book.

The other thing to consider is that its tweeked by John Grado himself... The result of hours spent in his garage tinkering with his beloved "hobby"... IMHO that more than anything else is what I am paying for. I could spend 100's of hours in my garage (like I always do
biggrin.gif
), tinkering with an SR225 and I still would not be able to "mod up" to that level of performance.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back