Am I the only one a little "blah" about the HF-1?
Sep 11, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #61 of 208
the more i thought about it, the more clear it is to me that i shouldn't waste more money for the HF-1.
but that's just because i'm getting a pair of RS-2..
rs1smile.gif

having MS-1 and RS-2, i couldn't possibly justify HF-1.
if there's just no way it's going to sound better then the RS-2, what is it for then?

for those who already have RS-1 or RS-2 and still put in an order for HF-1, can you please share your thought on this?

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #62 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
I'm interested in why John would semi-woody them. That is, he actually has to make two different pieces for the housing instead of just making one. One would think making it all wood or all plastic would be easier.

My thought is this:

The wood housing is not going to be made of the expensive curled mahogony. So it will not be as pricey (charge less, more people will buy). Second, they must have 100's of SR 'caps' or cups from production, since they use them on the SR-60 -> SR-225, and even the MS-1. So these are cheap because they are already made, just as is the SR-225 driver. So basically the only "new" item being produced is the inner wood chamber. I assume they are even using the tabs from the RS-1/2 for these, just with HF-1 routed into them instead.

Definately an interesting phone compared to everything else Grado has ever made (that I know of at least). None have had only the inside made of wood, and all those made of wood are a once piece housing, with the only access being from driver removal.

Pics to help explain idea:

RS-1 all wood housing-
woodv.jpg

How HF-1 will be setup-
HF-1.jpg

This was interesting enough for me to order them!

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #63 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Update:

It has been confirmed by another member that the supply will meet the demand. So it doesn't look like there will be a limited production run after all.

Nice find, where was this confirmed?

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #64 of 208
Search either Jahn's post or the official post in the other forum.

I personally spoke with Todd on the phone and he said the exact same thing to me, that if the demand went over 250 he could easily get some more.

----

Edit: Personally, I can think of some reasons why one wouldn't buy the HF-1's.

- This seems like it WILL NOT be a limited production run. Unfortunately, this is the main reason I purchased these; so I would have a true collectors item.

- To refute the aesthetics of wood, note that the HF-1 will only have a wooden button. The wooden housing for the driver will be covered by the bowl pads, and the outer shell will still be a plastic one. This has also been confirmed with on the phone with Todd.

- To claim that this is "a bargain" for a wooden headphone; again, this is not going to be a complete wooden headphone. Although wood may affect the sound signature, it might not be the same quality of wood as the RS-1's. However, I do recall Todd saying that the wood was to be made out of mahogany, but I am not sure what type.

Now my laptop is almost out of batteries. Goodbye!

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #65 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Us grado fanatics will stand by the RS-1 no matter what
rs1smile.gif

I definately second this. I will stand by my pair as long as I am alive.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #66 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Search either Jahn's post or the official post in the other forum.

I personally spoke with Todd on the phone and he said the exact same thing to me, that if the demand went over 250 he could easily get some more.

----

Edit: Personally, I can think of some reasons why one wouldn't buy the HF-1's.

- This seems like it WILL NOT be a limited production run. Unfortunately, this is the main reason I purchased these; so I would have a true collectors item.

- To refute the aesthetics of wood, note that the HF-1 will only have a wooden button. The wooden housing for the driver will be covered by the bowl pads, and the outer shell will still be a plastic one. This has also been confirmed with on the phone with Todd.

Same thing was told to me by Todd. However, I can order RS-1's from Ebay and I can get other Grado's at school. The book store carries them at a reasonable price. However, I will never be able to get the HF-1 anywhere else. This is reason enough to get them. As one of the first 100 buyers, I would love for these to not go over 250. That would make them a collectors item IMHO. I also mainly purchased them for the collector value and the fact I love the Grado sound so I hope this is truly a limited run. It would be cool if the plastic or wood were made to match.
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #68 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
What would be the point if these weren't a limited production run? In that case they might as replace the current SR-225 and sell them with wood drivers as well.

Maybe I am alone, but I didn't buy them for the limited production aspect.

My purchase was based on a recent interest in upgrading from my SR-80's, combined with the fact that I loved the sound of my friend's RS-1's(wood). I figured that maybe that that wood might help bring some of the RS sound signature to the SR-225 driver. This was further supported by the descriptions of more bass and smoothed out upper end, again something I wanted out of a Grado.
This combined with the fact these are in a sense cheaper than the SR-225 ($25 is going to Head-Fi) and they are a "new" Grado product, sealed the deal. I guess I was also worried that there was a limited number and they might sell them all before I made an order. Still I don't care if they are limited, as long as I have some. I never plan on selling phones. They are good to have around.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #70 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Im not getting one because:

* It is not a true woody
* I dont think the SR-225 is all that "special"
* I would have liked an all woody SR-225 - THAT is a 225 I would go for at $200.00

Exactly my sentiments. As I stated in another thread I'd like to see an HF-2 or HF-3 combining 325i drivers in a full woody or PS-1 drivers in a 325i shell. I don't have much interest revisiting the SR225s. It does seem like a great way to raise money for Headfi though.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #71 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Maybe I am alone, but I didn't buy them for the limited production aspect.

My purchase was based on a recent interest in upgrading from my SR-80's, combined with the fact that I loved the sound of my friend's RS-1's(wood). I figured that maybe that that wood might help bring some of the RS sound signature to the SR-225 driver. This was further supported by the descriptions of more bass and smoothed out upper end, again something I wanted out of a Grado.
This combined with the fact these are in a sense cheaper than the SR-225 ($25 is going to Head-Fi) and they are a "new" Grado product, sealed the deal. I guess I was also worried that there was a limited number and they might sell them all before I made an order. Still I don't care if they are limited, as long as I have some. I never plan on selling phones. They are good to have around.

I didn't buy them due to being limited either, I used to own SR-225 that I sold a few days ago since I didn't have much time to use them. But if people can order wood driver SR-225 whenever they want, why not have this replace the current plastic SR-225? I'm sure in the long run SR-225 sales would improve

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #72 of 208
I'm personally not gonna get my pants in an uproar. Getting one has crossed my mind few times, but . . . eh. I like the idea of supporting the site and whatnot, but this IS a headphone, and I'd rather wait for lots of impressions/reviews from reputable members. Or even better, try one myself. If it comes becoming a hell of a good deal in phonedom, then the people will the be winners!

It is scary seeing the whole fotm thing happening though, I've no doubt in a few weeks you'll be able to get em in the FS forum barely used. Then is when some shall pounce . . hehe

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #73 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
What would be the point if these weren't a limited production run? In that case they might as replace the current SR-225 and sell them with wood drivers as well.

The Grado HF-1 is technically not a limited production run. Meaning, for anyone who goes to this site or just tells Todd that they want an HF-1, they will get it.

To help illustrate, consider the Grado flat pads. Although they are technically expired and no longer used on Grado headphones, they may improve the sound quality of the headphones. Therefore, they aren't limited edition, but moreso "exclusive to TTVJ." Analogously, you may consider the HF-1 to be the same. Yes, he may only have 250 on him right now, but there is nothing stopping him from getting more. Likewise, it is unrealistic to assume any vendor has more than 1000 of a headphone on hand at the moment. When the demand goes high, there is money to be made (in particular, money to be donated to Head-Fi).

This is what first ran through my head when Todd posted in the other forum that you should "order right now to get a low serial number." If it were limited edition, Todd, as a salesperson after all, would use it as a selling point. Instead, the low serial number is used as a selling point. <sarcasm>So order now to ensure you're in the first 100 ever made!</sarcasm> (I know I did
rolleyes.gif
) I hope this helps clarify my point.

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #75 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
It is scary seeing the whole fotm thing happening though, I've no doubt in a few weeks you'll be able to get em in the FS forum barely used. Then is when some shall pounce . . hehe

TTVJ has a 30 day money back guarentee, at the loss of shipping. So the prudent Head-Fier selling his/her HF-1's would sell them with a discount of at most the shipping cost ($6 in the US).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back