Am I the only one a little "blah" about the HF-1?
Sep 11, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #76 of 208
OT, but I think you mean the flat pads, and there was a long period where you couldn't get them anyhere. But head-fiers viciously threatened the lives of joe, john, and todd, then viola!

Quote:

TTVJ has a 30 day money back guarentee, at the loss of shipping. So the prudent Head-Fier selling his/her HF-1's would sell them with a discount of at most the shipping cost ($6 in the US).

I don't expect the sell rush to happen that quick (if it does), maybe a lil over a month, perhaps two. Wait for the couple dozen "this is the s**t!" threads to end, followed by the "this is an okay phone with flaws" type.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #77 of 208
Nobody in their right mind expects these to sound like RS-1s. At most, the HF-1 has the potential to sound close to an RS-2 because of same size driver housing, both wood driver housing, and tweaking by Grado.

I just compared the SR-225 and RS-2 side by side with a Meridian G08=>Rega Couple IC=>HR-2 and the main advantages of the RS-2 over the SR-225, to my ears, IMHO, etc. are: a) fuller sound, b) more bass, and c) overall cleaner/smoother sound. Todd reported that the HF-1 has fuller sound and more bass than the SR-225. Making me believe that the HF-1 has the potential to sound like an RS-2 without the looks. If so, the HF-1 at $200 is a way better deal than the RS-2 at $500.

Even if the HF-1 sounds similar to a stock SR-225, it is still a good deal as the SR-225 is an outstanding headphone for the price and probably the best deal in the Grado line up.

I do agree, however, that if you hate the Grado sound, the SR-225 is not exactly your cup of tea, or are not into collecting headphones, then the HF-1 is not for you. Surely, there will be some in the FS forum after the 30 day money back guarantee period is over.

---Pat

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #78 of 208
Im looking at it as though its an upgraded SR225. Tweeked by John to give a slightly different presentation than the standard SR225.

Im not into this as a collectable. Im gonna bust it open burn em in and enjoy them. Its really more of an " SR225i ", than anything else IMHO

Garrett

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #79 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Nobody in their right mind expects these to sound like RS-1s. At most, the HF-1 has the potential to sound close to an RS-2 because of same size driver housing, both wood driver housing, and tweaking by Grado.

I just compared the SR-225 and RS-2 side by side with a Meridian G08=>Rega Couple IC=>HR-2 and the main advantages of the RS-2 over the SR-225, to my ears, IMHO, etc. are: a) fuller sound, b) more bass, and c) overall cleaner/smoother sound. Todd reported that the HF-1 has fuller sound and more bass than the SR-225. Making me believe that the HF-1 has the potential to sound like an RS-2 without the looks. If so, the HF-1 at $200 is a way better deal than the RS-2 at $500.

Even if the HF-1 sounds similar to a stock SR-225, it is still a good deal as the SR-225 is an outstanding headphone for the price and probably the best deal in the Grado line up.

I do agree, however, that if you hate the Grado sound, the SR-225 is not exactly your cup of tea, or are not into collecting headphones, then the HF-1 is not for you. Surely, there will be some in the FS forum after the 30 day money back guarantee period is over.

---Pat

Isn't the RS-2 pretty much 95% of the RS-1?

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #80 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Maybe I am alone, but I didn't buy them for the limited production aspect.

You aren't. I hope enough of these are made that every head-fier that wants them can get them. I think that was the idea anyways. Only as many made as there are head-fier's, that is the limit of the production.

People that buy things solely for 'collectibility' (read: profitabiltiy) bother me. If you are only buying these limited edition phones so you can sell them at a profit you are taking advantage of Todd & John who did all the work. Just my opinion.

If you buy the phones for other reasons and just happen to one day sell them at a profit that is cool by me. Like anybody needs my approval
rolleyes.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #81 of 208
My first reaction to the HF-1:

Cool. The headfreaks will have another excuse to empty their wallets for something "new" and "wooden". And it's a "limited edition".

::moves on::

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #82 of 208
My 2nd reaction-

"If these ever hit ebay, the first one is going to sell for $1K if there is no info in the general public about it hehe."

My 3rd reaction-

"I wonder how many folks will register here, buy one, and leave? Especially the big non-headfi headphone communities once they get wind of this.

My 4th Reaction-

"I wonder if anyone is going to tell any of the audio mags. This makes for a nice story and good exposure."

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #83 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Isn't the RS-2 pretty much 95% of the RS-1?

No. They have different sonic signatures, ie. the RS-2 is more upfront sounding while the RS-1 is more laid back and has a bigger soundstage.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #84 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
No. They have different sonic signatures, ie. the RS-2 is more upfront sounding while the RS-1 is more laid back and has a bigger soundstage.

I concur, that pretty much nails it on the head. The RS2 sounds more like the 325 than the RS-1, its kind of in-between with it leaning more towards the 325 sound than the RS-1 sound.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #85 of 208
It seems like a great deal to me, even though I'm not a grado fan I'm giving them some serious consideration. I almost put in an order "just in case" because I didn't think I'd have the opportunity to hear reviews or see pictures, but hopefully this means that I will have a chance to do just that. Luckily there are quite a few head-fiers whose opinions I respect in the top 25, I'd like to hear how they compare to the RS-1, which is the only grado phone I really like (and its certainly not 700$ of like). Oh yeah, I like the PS-1, too, and would probably love the hp-1000 series if I had ever heard them.

Maybe todd should keep them limited edition but increase it to 500 or so.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #86 of 208
I wonder if people would still be "blah" about the HF-1 if John inverted the materials to have a wood outer shell and a plastic driver housing. Then we could separate the people who care more about the looks versus the people who just care about sound.
biggrin.gif

I guess I would be "blah" about the HF-1 if I already owned a higher end Grado like the RS-1/RS-2/PS-1. But I don't and I cannot afford those models so I am happy to buy this headphone and give back to head-fi at the same time. It's that simple.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #87 of 208
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I wonder if people would still be "blah" about the HF-1 if John inverted the materials to have a wood outer shell and a plastic driver housing. Then we could separate the people who care more about the looks versus the people who just care about sound.
biggrin.gif

I guess I would be "blah" about the HF-1 if I already owned a higher end Grado like the RS-1/RS-2/PS-1. But I don't and I cannot afford those models so I am happy to buy this headphone and give back to head-fi at the same time. It's that simple.

Yep - as amazing as the MS-2i and SR325i sound (and look!) for the money, with improved drivers and bigger housings- they still have plastic mounts for the drivers- the interior chamber. Having wood mounts with SR225 drivers should really sound cool - I can't wait to hear one someday and read impressions asap!

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #90 of 208
The driver housing is the only part that affects the sound right? And in the HF-1 that's going to be wood, so Mr. Grado has already taken care of the hard part - anyone can make a ring out of wood, right?

So could we make our own woodies or is it more complicated than that?
icon10.gif

P.S.: I am definitely not trying to disrespect Larry of Headphile. He makes the driver housing and the outer part out of wood, right? Whatever the case, I don't doubt it takes much talent and skill - I'm just talking about the outermost ring.

If I'm totally wrong please tell me and I'll gladly shut my stupid mouth and delete this post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back