Am I getting decent enough sound from my other equipment for my 'phones?
Jun 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

red sky

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.  I was just pondering whether or not my equipment is producing a decent enough signal to get almost the most from my headphones.  I have a pair of Grado SR80is. Presently, I use my DROID X, Zune HD/120, and my Dell Studio 1747 to play media.  The only headphone amp I have is the FiiO E5.  I don't have any DAC or anything else. 

I know the SR80is are low impedance, as are all Grados, so I'm wondering if I really have much to gain from spending a good bit of money to buy a DAC and a desktop amp.  I'm trying to get honest opinions here on how much I will really gain from it.  If it won't be that much because my headphones aren't all that great, that's good.  However, if there's some secret excellence I'm missing out on because the rest of my gear sucks... well then I guess I'll have no choice but to upgrade some things over the course of the summer.

So thanks to anyone who has experience with these headphones and can offer some insight. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hello everyone.  I was just pondering whether or not my equipment is producing a decent enough signal to get almost the most from my headphones.  I have a pair of Grado SR80is. Presently, I use my DROID X, Zune HD/120, and my Dell Studio 1747 to play media.  The only headphone amp I have is the FiiO E5.  I don't have any DAC or anything else. 

I know the SR80is are low impedance, as are all Grados, so I'm wondering if I really have much to gain from spending a good bit of money to buy a DAC and a desktop amp.  I'm trying to get honest opinions here on how much I will really gain from it.  If it won't be that much because my headphones aren't all that great, that's good.  However, if there's some secret excellence I'm missing out on because the rest of my gear sucks... well then I guess I'll have no choice but to upgrade some things over the course of the summer.

So thanks to anyone who has experience with these headphones and can offer some insight. 

Hello red sky,

Am I getting decent enough sound from my other equipment for my 'phones? IMHO, No. It can be improved significantly (maybe immensely), without punching holes in your wallet.
Though, how 'decent' depends on how much you perceive the difference, and how you put value into headphone equipments.
I think, upgrading headphones will yield far better results than adding in a new amp.
I haven't researched the DACs utilized by the DroidX/Zune/Dell Studio 1747, I don't know if they are decent.
When I was using my SR60i + Xonar DG (sub par DAC with built in AMP), the difference for me was quite big. I was using SR60i + Creative SB Audigy before then.
When I got my iBasso D6, my SR60i levelled up, able to pursue more difficult quests.
When I got my MS2i, the SQ improvement was borderline hysteria, for me.
When I got my Xonar Essence ST, my MS2i became an epic level ?? World Boss <Hostile>.
Hope this helps.
Sorry for the WoW reference.
gs1000.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 5
The WoW reference is fine.  I am a fan of gaming.  Thanks for the reply.  The thing is, I just bought these headphones a few months ago and don't really want to go through the path of upgrading them right now.  I'm hoping to wait a few years for that, so I don't burn my wallet.  Based on what you said in your experience with the Xonar DG, it seems that it would be in my interest to get a DAC.  Thanks again.

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
The WoW reference is fine.  I am a fan of gaming.  Thanks for the reply.  The thing is, I just bought these headphones a few months ago and don't really want to go through the path of upgrading them right now.  I'm hoping to wait a few years for that, so I don't burn my wallet.  Based on what you said in your experience with the Xonar DG, it seems that it would be in my interest to get a DAC.  Thanks again.

I highly suggest that if possible, you bring your own lossless source and headphones, audition them with the candidate DACs. Which is what I did before deciding on the D6 and ms2.

If it isn't, there are always a ton of reviews here.

Good luck on your endeavors.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back