Am i being stupid or do headphones sound better at night?
Apr 8, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 63
sensitivity, of course. world's silence, fewer impulses from the external environment that can infringe the listening session.

assume you just came in the worst smelling room of all times. in the first phase, the smell is no doubt beyond all bearing. then your smelling receptors get tired and you become used to it since the receptors send less impulses to the nerves.

during the day, your audio nerves are harassed much more frequently by various impulses and so more exhausted; this is why they are less responsive, as well.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 63
Maybe..*cue the lions and ferocious beasts*..we are predisposed to sleeping lightly with more acute hearing from a genetic standpoint allowing us to survive the night in our "caves" as a curious earlier hominid.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #18 of 63
Lol the darwinian approach to headphones.. that is a new outlook
icon10.gif
maybe so, who knows but it seems not just me notices the difference between listening in the day and night, must be some reason
confused.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My headphoens defo sound better at night, esp after I've had a few.

Team "Gin Drinkers' slurs and nods in understanding (;-}

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #21 of 63
I'm doubting it has anything to do with power lines...thought I guess it could...

I doubt this because my iPod sounds better at night as well as my stereo. I also remember this time I worked until 2 in the morning, and on the ride home, my car radio sounded absolutely amazing and it was just a piece of junk ("My Generation" was playing on the local classic rock station). That was about 5 years ago and I still remember; it was that enjoyable. I think having your mind/ears tired or more relaxed just makes for better listening - just about anything, including compressed radio music - sounds good.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #22 of 63
I notice a big difference when i'm in a completely dark room. But that's because i'm not seeing anything, so i'm not distracted and all my brain concentration goes to my audiable sensitivities and the sound sounds a lot better. Nothing to do with day or night ...

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #24 of 63
If I may offer some totally unscientific opinion...

Yes, like the earlier posts mentioned, it could be due to the lessening of electrical interference.

I don't know if it happens with headphones, but I used to own pair of cheap speakers and whenever a call or an SMS to my cellphone comes in, there will be a pulsating buzz.

Having a relaxed mind at night helps too.

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. I suspect that most of us close our eyes while listening intently. I know I do.

That was my theory. When I really want to enjoy the music I close the blinds, turn off the lights, and close my eyes. The music sounds better when there are no distractions at all. If there is any light at all, I put something over my eyes because I can tell when a light is on when my eyes are shut. It could be that you are more sensitive to sound at night but I prefer to think it is because it is peaceful and I do not have that awful light shining in my window through my blinds. Close one sense and the others heighten. I just need to find a way to turn off my sense of touch, taste, and smell when I am listening to music.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #26 of 63
I think psycho-acoustics should be mentioned here. Also, just as closing your eyes makes your ears more engaged with the music, so does it being dark. The reason being that as you shut out one sense, you broaden another. An example of this comes through in blind musicians (ray charles, for example), or the way blind and/or deaf people have a peak in other senses. Blind people hear/feel better, deaf people have more sensitive tastes/smelling capabilities, etc...

jeff

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe your ears are more sensitive to sound towards the end of the day when are your are a little tired?

Yep... ever try listening to music with headphones as soon as you wake up? funny the level you had it at when you went to bed now seems too loud.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #28 of 63
Everything sounds better after you get laid.

For speakers the explanation could be that sound travels further at night. You may notice this when you play a soft tune on your computer and head down for a cup of milk and you realise that all the way down stairs you can hear that song playing. The heat distribution of the air around causes the sound waves to refract more preferably at night, allowing it to travel further (and better?)

I learnt about this "phenomenon" 4 years ago, I could be bullcrapping you right now and you wouldn't know, but it is a reasonable explanation.

It's quieter at night too, yeah.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 63
It's the dao, the way, the zen of head-fidelity. We speak of the blackness of no sound in audiophilia. Night for the mind is the counterpart, the whiteness of no thought. At night, when your mind is shutting down, turning off the constant processing of information, when you approach nothingness, zero energy flow, the sound comes to you, pure, unfettered by your consciousness, expectations, thoughts, concerns, biases, fears, dreams, whatever. You're totally relaxed. None of your muscles are working. You've let go. Your ego's out of the way. You're out of the way. You're nothing. Total tabula rasa. Your mind, like a baby's. Completely open. You just are. You and the music just are. One.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Exactly. You are used to quietness at night; very few sounds you hear compared to daytime, so when you listen to music, by then your ears have become "sensitive."

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back