Altec Lansing iM616 (rebadged ER6i) $20 shipped
Oct 30, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my shipping invoice this morning also.

Me too, and then at 4pm, astonishingly, I found the iM616s sitting in my mailbox!

When I looked closer at this morning's e-mail, it said the package had shipped four days ago:
"Date shipped: 10/26/2009 12:00:00 AM
Shipped Via: FedEx SmartPost"
(I live in New Jersey, home of ThingFling, so others may not experience anything as quick as my four-day delivery.)

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #48 of 82
Yup, I got the same email... and 2 replies as well.

Told me it shipped 26th via FedEx... tracking shows 28th. In NJ right now, will arrive the 8th. Would have been faster, and likely cheaper, to ship it with USPS.

Oh well, hey at least they're actually coming.

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #49 of 82
Smartpost is some sort of weird combo between Fedex and the USPS, so it's technically not just Fedex (don't you love the name?). Hence, the slower delivery. Glad to hear you are getting them. If anyone has custom tips, try them out.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #50 of 82
Got mine today. Bass isn't to my liking. It's there, but lacking. Trying to EQ it makes it thumpy, and adds distortion. Maybe they'll open up after some break-in. If not, check the FS threads :p

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #51 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by cam94z28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine today. Bass isn't to my liking. It's there, but lacking. Trying to EQ it makes it thumpy, and adds distortion. Maybe they'll open up after some break-in. If not, check the FS threads :p

My impression as well. Bass is lacking. Clarity and instrument separation/sound stage is quite nice, but without the amount of bass I like this are not listenable.

I'm also surprised to see such a lack of included tips considering these things used to sell for over $100. Triple flange which hurt my ears and some crunchy cheap foam tips that are just awful. The case that's included is also quite bulky and illogical. A simple zippered nylon case would be more than sufficient for these earphones. I can see why they're being cleared out like this.

Considering they're BA, I don't think any amount of burn-in will change the sound to my liking.

I'm going to see if I have some other tips that will fit, possibly the Sony Hybrids. I tried some Klipsch eargels (large) and the bass just about disappeared, which is a bit odd.

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #52 of 82
I'll gladly take them!
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #54 of 82
No bass problems with the Sony A818 and Clear Bass at +3. Not thumpy or distorted at all. I also am using the UM56 custom sleeves with the 616s, and they sound very nice. Not as good with other DAPs, but very, very good with the Sony. Anyone not wanting theirs can PM and I will take them off your hands for $14 plus reasonable shipping CONUS (first class is good enough).

Update: After some added random listening to the 616s with the UM56s and the A818, I only wish those of you not liking the 616s could hear this combo. Goes to show you how much tips, player and phone factors can really have an impact with the right combination.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My impression as well. Bass is lacking. Clarity and instrument separation/sound stage is quite nice, but without the amount of bass I like this are not listenable.

I'm also surprised to see such a lack of included tips considering these things used to sell for over $100. Triple flange which hurt my ears and some crunchy cheap foam tips that are just awful. The case that's included is also quite bulky and illogical. A simple zippered nylon case would be more than sufficient for these earphones. I can see why they're being cleared out like this.

Considering they're BA, I don't think any amount of burn-in will change the sound to my liking.

I'm going to see if I have some other tips that will fit, possibly the Sony Hybrids. I tried some Klipsch eargels (large) and the bass just about disappeared, which is a bit odd.

The 616/716 case was notorious for its baffling design, but PM me if you want to sell those phones. Sony hybrids might help, but sounds like they are not your cup of tea.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree on the mids/highs, they're really nice for a single BA.

The triple flange won't fit me at all. I had to use the comply foams, so the high end is probably suffering some. I haven't tried the sure E2C olive tips yet (bought for my ADDIEMS), but I'll let u know if those fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got mines today, despite fedex projection that it would come on thursday. A bit dissapointing coming from the im716. seem to be lower in sq than the sf3.

Same with me, they were estimated as the 4th, but were already in Orlando last night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No bass problems with the Sony A818 and Clear Bass at +3. Not thumpy or distorted at all. I also am using the UM56 custom sleeves with the 616s, and they sound very nice. Not as good with other DAPs, but very, very good with the Sony. Anyone not wanting theirs can PM and I will take them off your hands for $14 plus reasonable shipping CONUS (first class is good enough).

I am driving them from a 5.5G iPod with rockbox. I corrected the thumpy bass by using a -5dB precut, and a +4dB bass boost. It's still lacking though. With some phones I have to play around with the combination to avoid bass distortion.

Now I'm even more disappointed I missed todays $20 deal on the UHP336's on amazon.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 616/716 case was notorious for its baffling design, but PM me if you want to sell those phones. Sony hybrids might help, but sounds like they are not your cup of tea.

hehe,
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll gladly take them!
biggrin.gif

sorry dude, i would have but i sold them to tstarn06 since he sent me his S4 case.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #58 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by cam94z28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree on the mids/highs, they're really nice for a single BA.

The triple flange won't fit me at all. I had to use the comply foams, so the high end is probably suffering some. I haven't tried the sure E2C olive tips yet (bought for my ADDIEMS), but I'll let u know if those fit.

Same with me, they were estimated as the 4th, but were already in Orlando last night.

I am driving them from a 5.5G iPod with rockbox. I corrected the thumpy bass by using a -5dB precut, and a +4dB bass boost. It's still lacking though. With some phones I have to play around with the combination to avoid bass distortion.

Now I'm even more disappointed I missed todays $20 deal on the UHP336's on amazon.

I had that same deal on the 336s awhile back, but they are huge, clunky, and though they sound decent, don't beat yourself up over it. No big loss. You should sell your pair to LeonWho.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #59 of 82
I finally got mine, but so far am loving them. It is odd that they only come with 2 sets of tips, although I am not complaining. tstarn, like you I have access to a bunch of tips. Which would you recommend of these 3 (I plan to do my own testing, but thought I would get your opinion): Sonys, Shure Olives, or Klipsch gels?

I was seriously thinking of picking up another set of ER4Ps before I saw this and now I feel like my Ety needs have been met, so thanks again to the OP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back