Altec Lansing iM616 (rebadged ER6i) $20 shipped
Nov 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally got mine, but so far am loving them. It is odd that they only come with 2 sets of tips, although I am not complaining. tstarn, like you I have access to a bunch of tips. Which would you recommend of these 3 (I plan to do my own testing, but thought I would get your opinion): Sonys, Shure Olives, or Klipsch gels?

I was seriously thinking of picking up another set of ER4Ps before I saw this and now I feel like my Ety needs have been met, so thanks again to the OP!!

I'd say Shure olives, mainly because these are deep insertion IEMs, and the Klipsch gels and Sony hybrids, to me, are more for phones that don't need to go deep, like the ADDIEMs, Image S4s, etc. But hey, I could be wrong. Since I have the UM56s on the 616s right now, give me a chance to try all three (I have all three) and PM you with the best results. Won't take long.

Update:

Of the three, the Olives deliver the best SQ in my view, using the Sony A818 with Clear Bass boosted to 3+ (my preferred DAP with the 616s). Next are the Sony hybrids (I used large single flange, the light blue tube) and the gels third (also large single flange). The Sonys have a larger sound tube, so that could be the difference. Oh, I used medium olives. If cost is an issue, you could get the hybrids ($10 for all sizes, unfortunately).

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #62 of 82
Right now I am using the small gels, the medium gels were too uncomfortable getting the insertion needed. Comfort wise I am pretty happy using the Klipsch but I will try the others to see if there is any improvements.

Thanks...

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #63 of 82
Update... I passed on the olives due to them being to hard to get on. The Sony's are def a nice tip. I got 3 prs with a set of Sony IEMs I picked up at the airport (they are actually nice, but that is for another thread). The smallest is def. the right size for me, wish I had all 3 prs in small.

Thanks for the info tstarn!

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #64 of 82
No problem. I did have to wrestle the olives on, but did manage to get them on without breaking anything. Now, if you only had a nice pair of UM56 customs, the SQ of the 616s would blow you away. But after trying those three sleeves, it's not bad as is ... but to me, it does need EQ. I may even get out the old E3 I have and see how that sounds. I need to get an E5 or even the new E7 when it comes out. No amps here right now, other than the Amp3, which I use as a DAP.

I still can't believe it cost 17 with shipping. LOL. It's light years better than the budget-fi phones I have heard.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #65 of 82
I'll be using them with my iPhone - so no EQ. Def. a very sterile sound, but the iPhone has pretty good space which helps to open them up. I am a pretty big fan of both the new iPod's SQ and the Ety house sound so I am happy.

I think after further tinkering I will go with the Sony tip- the small one. Comfort and SQ is great for both.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #66 of 82
Just read the title, the IM616 is not a re badged Etymotic 6. Just to clear things up if no knows....

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #67 of 82
The title says "er6i" not "er6" and they are different Ety models. Anyway, all I ever said was it has drivers made by Ety. And in the original 2005 PC Magazine review, the 616 was compared favorably to the ER4P.

I posted it earlier, but here it is as an FYI. And again, I paid $17 shipped, lower than 3 pair of Comply foamies. I bought even bought a second, backup pair for $18 from another ThingFling buyer who didn't like them. In fact, the mailperson just dropped them off. Happy camper here.

Altec Lansing inMotion IM616 - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #68 of 82
After owning just about all the Ety's from the ER4P down, I have no doubt that this IEM falls somewhere in the family. That sound signature is very specific.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #69 of 82
No doubt, and while it may not be a rebadged Ety anything, there is little doubt they used one of their existing drivers in the im616 and im716s. Which ones did they use? We'll never know (unless someone at Ety tells us). So it's sort of a moot point. They certainly didn't create new drivers for Altec-Lansing, who obviously farm out the innards to their IEMs (the 336s are SF3s, no?). No matter. It certainly is a very economical way to enjoy the Ety sound.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #70 of 82
Actually, I've decided to go for another IEM. The Meelectronics M9. Love it so far. It's about as opposite from the iM616 as you can get, so if you didn't like these, you might like the M9s!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #71 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt, and while it may not be a rebadged Ety anything, there is little doubt they used one of their existing drivers in the im616 and im716s. Which ones did they use? We'll never know (unless someone at Ety tells us). So it's sort of a moot point. They certainly didn't create new drivers for Altec-Lansing, who obviously farm out the innards to their IEMs (the 336s are SF3s, no?). No matter. It certainly is a very economical way to enjoy the Ety sound.

Oh, and someone from AL did state that the iM616 and the iM716 have the same drivers. Which I don't get.
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #72 of 82
Why don't you get it? Because the 716s cost more? Either way, it all worked out.

Edit:

So I got the little E3 amp out of the drawer and hooked it up to the Clip+ with a high-end mini to mini from Whiplash audio, and wow, just the right amount of bass boost, sounds great. Another bargain-fi piece added to the mix. So now I have $115 UM56 sleeves on $14 phones with a $9 amp and the Clip+. Interesting combo, but it works.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #74 of 82
Having owned both, I guess I don't agree with the overwhelming majority then. To me, they were pretty close, and the pod was annoying. But even when I had mine depodded (they were $20 from newegg), it still needed an amp, much like the 616 (or at least a heavy bass EQ).

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #75 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title says "er6i" not "er6" and they are different Ety models. Anyway, all I ever said was it has drivers made by Ety. And in the original 2005 PC Magazine review, the 616 was compared favorably to the ER4P.

I posted it earlier, but here it is as an FYI. And again, I paid $17 shipped, lower than 3 pair of Comply foamies. I bought even bought a second, backup pair for $18 from another ThingFling buyer who didn't like them. In fact, the mailperson just dropped them off. Happy camper here.

Altec Lansing inMotion IM616 - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine

Yes i now there is a ER6 and 6i, i said Etymotic "6" to eliminate both of them. The IM616 is closer to the ER4 than the 6. But no matter, they are fantastic earphones in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back