ALO The Continental
Feb 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #376 of 456

Quote:
following what i am saying take look at 9'25:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KZQ6B6W4MM

One more point of interest from my comparisons....listening to the ALO Continental v2 compared with the HP-P1.  I compared the sound level out of my HD800 using the HP-P1 and the ALO on low gain. These are essentially the same levels.  When I say that I seem to go back to listening to the ALO, note that I am using the low gain which defeats the extra power that is available with the ALO in comparison with the HP-P1 which to me suggests that it is not an issue with power but the type of sound profile that the ALO provides me when compared with the amp in the HP-P1.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #377 of 456

Quote:
One more point of interest from my comparisons....listening to the ALO Continental v2 compared with the HP-P1.  I compared the sound level out of my HD800 using the HP-P1 and the ALO on low gain. These are essentially the same levels.  When I say that I seem to go back to listening to the ALO, note that I am using the low gain which defeats the extra power that is available with the ALO in comparison with the HP-P1 which to me suggests that it is not an issue with power but the type of sound profile that the ALO provides me when compared with the amp in the HP-P1.

maybe the tube sound which is unique in terms of musicality. focused on the music not on the sound on itself

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #378 of 456

Quote:
maybe the tube sound which is unique in terms of musicality. focused on the music not on the sound on itself

I do suspect it is the tube sound that I am enjoying in the ALO...

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #379 of 456
We had a mini meet a little while back and had a chance to drive the HE-6 with both the SR-71b balanced and single ended from the Continental V1.  The Continental seemed to have as much, if not more, headroom driving the 6 which surprised me. It was quick meet listening conditions, but the Conti was holding its own for sure.  I don't own the 6 so my impressions are limited, but if you were trying to find a portable to use with them, it seemed like the Continental is another possible choice, one that Jude might not have considered because he was comparing amps he owns.  That said, the 6 is so hungry my guess is you're just not doing them justice with a portable, no matter which one.

The owner of the headphones who is more familiar with their sound when properly driven was pretty impressed with how both amps handled the HE-6.

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #381 of 456

Quote:
I compared the sound level out of my HD800 using the HP-P1 and the ALO on low gain.

Are both of them on low gain? (Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but It sounds like you are comparing the HP-P1's normal gain to the Continental's low gain to me.)

If so, do you mean that they have the same level of output power with different sound signature(typical SS vs. tube)?

Feb 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #382 of 456

Quote:
Are both of them on low gain? (Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but It sounds like you are comparing the HP-P1's normal gain to the Continental's low gain to me.)..............exactly what I was doing....

If so, do you mean that they have the same level of output power with different sound signature(typical SS vs. tube)?

No, not different sound sigs with different gain for the same amp.  Just comparing the power levels of one amp to the other amp with different gain setting hopefully to establish that the sound profile difference that I was hearing is not attributed to the ALO inherently being more powerful.   This was an attempt on my part to establish the SS vs Tube sound difference was real between them.  For myself this is clearly demonstrated and that I enjoyed the tube sound especially with the DT1350 while not being so clearly better with the Senn HD-25-1.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #383 of 456

Quote:

No, not different sound sigs with different gain for the same amp.  Just comparing the power levels of one amp to the other amp with different gain setting hopefully to establish that the sound profile difference that I was hearing is not attributed to the ALO inherently being more powerful.   This was an attempt on my part to establish the SS vs Tube sound difference was real between them.  For myself this is clearly demonstrated and that I enjoyed the tube sound especially with the DT1350 while not being so clearly better with the Senn HD-25-1.

Well, I just want to know if those two have the same level of output power or not.

I take it that the Continental holds more power than the Fostex's built-in amp then.

Thanks for the clarification, slwiser.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #384 of 456
slwiser,

how does the continental compare to ttvj millet portable hybrid? 
its been a while since i checked portable amps and just wondering what i'm missing..

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #385 of 456

Quote:
slwiser,

its been a while since i checked portable amps and just wondering what i'm missing..

Can't say since I don't have the TTVJ any longer.  The ALO does not have the ping every once in a while the TTVJ did before the fix is applied.

Steve

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #386 of 456
Even though ALO is my least favorite company due to several bad customer service experiences, I was able to listen to a continental last week. It is an extremely rich and smooth, detailed sound. Great for certain genres. Very 'vinyl-like' sound. It works very well for classical, jazz, folk... for rock obviously there are amps that are better for it. If I had better suited headphones for it I would get, but my headphones are all rock/metal/prog oriented..

People were saying the MK3 is better overall but I think that is just pre release hype. I don't think Continental can be compared to other amps, because it provides a tube sound you can't find anywhere.

Feb 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #387 of 456
Matter I just received the Continental V2 today. Right out of the box it is better than the SR-71B. I am using the Westone E5 and Cypher Labs. The Ray Samuels was too warm with the Westones. The V2 brings them to life. Does anyone know if the Continental needs much break in time.

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #388 of 456
slwiser,

We did a quick compare after hours at the recent Bay Area Meet using the Hd800. Both were similar, but we found the TTVJ to offer slightly more clarity, the Conti seemed a bit more rounded off, which some might hear as smoother...

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #389 of 456

Quote:
We did a quick compare after hours at the recent Bay Area Meet using the Hd800. Both were similar, but we found the TTVJ to offer slightly more clarity, the Conti seemed a bit more rounded off, which some might hear as smoother...

thanks!
glad to hear ttvj is still holding its own. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #390 of 456

Quote:
People were saying the MK3 is better overall but I think that is just pre release hype. I don't think Continental can be compared to other amps, because it provides a tube sound you can't find anywhere.

Really ?

http://jaben.net/shopping2/PortaTube.html

Not trying to reopen old wounds, but its still for sale whether ALO like it or not - others mentioned the (much) older Millet Hybrid, and I'm sure there are DiY portable designs out there somewhere that have a tube in the circuit. I'd check my facts before making sweeping statements - thats the kind of thing that fuels the 'hype' you refer to. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back