ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
May 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #242 of 1,147
Also, the volume is on 10 o'clock (high gain setting) for full volume. Plenty of power to spare.
Great to hear! I see you have a pair of LCD-2s as well--does the Pan Am the HD800 as well as it does the LCD-2?

May 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #243 of 1,147
I received the external battery pack from Anker (Model Astro Pro 14400 mAh) and I'm confirming that it's powering the PanAm quite well. I've only listened for 20 minutes so it's too early to report any differences.

May 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #244 of 1,147
Quote:
I received the external battery pack from Anker (Model Astro Pro 14400 mAh) and I'm confirming that it's powering the PanAm quite well. I've only listened for 20 minutes so it's too early to report any differences.

Oooo please post updates when you can.  I see it's on sale for $60 from Amazon and would pick this up over the Passport/Gateway if possible.

May 29, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #245 of 1,147
I noticed that the tubes don't glow as brightly with the Passport as they do the Gateway, so I would guess less power is being supplied.

We had a mini-meet on the weekend and the surprise match was the Passport (with Mullard tubes) and the Shure SH-1840. Plenty of comments on how good the DAC is in it.

May 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #248 of 1,147
I have a Pan Am with the gateway. I've been on the fence about the passport ever since I even first contemplated about getting the Pan Am. 200 for a battery is a bit steep and the Pan Am was staying on my desktop. But since getting the amp and using it I've always wondered whether I was missing out on sound quality. I mean, I'm perfectly happy with it right now. I just can't help but wonder.

May 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #249 of 1,147
Quote:
I have a Pan Am with the gateway. I've been on the fence about the passport ever since I even first contemplated about getting the Pan Am. 200 for a battery is a bit steep and the Pan Am was staying on my desktop. But since getting the amp and using it I've always wondered whether I was missing out on sound quality. I mean, I'm perfectly happy with it right now. I just can't help but wonder.

[size=10pt]I actually think that Gateway is better with LCD2s than Pan Am/Password or at least at the same level... [/size]

May 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #250 of 1,147
ALO's Josh just responded back to me with this:

"If you are not planning on using the portable capabilities of The Passport, The Gateway is really a great option and it sounds quite good. The Passport will sound better if you have noisy AC in your place, but if the AC is fairly clean you'll get a nice, quiet experience out of your Pan Am with The Gateway. I mainly use the Gateway as I use my Pan Am here at my desk and it works very well for me. 

At this time we do not have a replacement program for The Passport, we haven't had any trouble with the batteries so far :) 

Let me know if you have further questions, I'm happy to help."

Guess I'll go for the Passport since my house is a bit old and I'm sure AC source isn't clean.  Or I'll get the Model Astro Pro 14400 mAh as twinster posted earlier.

May 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #251 of 1,147
I have an LCD-3, but no LCD-2. I actually prefer the HD800 with the Pan Am, although the LCD-3 does well with it too.
Very interesting! I just assumed LCD-2 from the tiny, pixelated avatar pic on my iPhone.

May 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #252 of 1,147
I have an LCD-3, but no LCD-2. I actually prefer the HD800 with the Pan Am, although the LCD-3 does well with it too.

I must revise this a bit. Today I listened to the LCD-3 with the Cifte tubes, and it was just as nice as it was with the HD800. Different, but equally enjoyable. The LCD-3 bass is stronger but still very detailed. Overall, the LCD-3 has a warmer, smoother presentation, but all of the detail is there, and the soundstage is similar to the HD800 (medium-wide for lack of a better description). Both headphones are very good with the Pan Am, certainly with these tubes.

May 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #253 of 1,147
I must revise this a bit. Today I listened to the LCD-3 with the Cifte tubes, and it was just as nice as it was with the HD800. Different, but equally enjoyable. The LCD-3 bass is stronger but still very detailed. Overall, the LCD-3 has a warmer, smoother presentation, but all of the detail is there, and the soundstage is similar to the HD800 (medium-wide for lack of a better description). Both headphones are very good with the Pan Am, certainly with these tubes.

Thanks for the updated impressions. As much as a fan of Audez'e I once was, I now prefer the sound signature of the HD800s.

May 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #255 of 1,147
Went out and listened to the HD700s yesterday. Let's just say I was disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back