ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Dec 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #886 of 1,147

I spoke with ALO over the weekend, the Pan Am is being discontinued. They will continue to support it, but are not producing more. There's no immediate direct replacement, but I was told they are working on some exciting things for later in 2015. ALO said the Pan Am was more popular than they thought it would be, but since it has been out for a couple of years, they need to start looking at updated options.

The Pan Am I am betting will be in demand for years.  What a great unit and I wish I had kept mine.  

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #889 of 1,147
Odd decision from ALO to can it without a replacement. Great little amp+DAC combination. I can't believe it hasn't sold well.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #890 of 1,147
  Odd decision from ALO to can it without a replacement. Great little amp+DAC combination. I can't believe it hasn't sold well.

ALO stated to me that is sold very well for them, much better than they ever expected. But they just felt it was time to shutter it and pursue new products for 2015 and beyond.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #891 of 1,147

ALO stated to me that is sold very well for them, much better than they ever expected. But they just felt it was time to shutter it and pursue new products for 2015 and beyond.

So a replacement is likely to be in the works - good to know
smile.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #892 of 1,147
Anyone know of a good transportable source device for the PanAm. I want something that I can plug into the PanAm via USB and have the PanAm happily suck the binary data from the device, using its own DAC for the digital -> analog conversion.

Any ideas?

I am using my work laptop right now in the office, but would prefer to use my own device.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #893 of 1,147
Anyone know of a good transportable source device for the PanAm. I want something that I can plug into the PanAm via USB and have the PanAm happily suck the binary data from the device, using its own DAC for the digital -> analog conversion.

Any ideas?

I am using my work laptop right now in the office, but would prefer to use my own device.

X5? DX50/90?

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #895 of 1,147
Hi guys I just bought The Gateway and I use it to charge the passport, my question is will the gateway turn its light indicator to green when passport is fully charged?

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #896 of 1,147
:biggrin:: edit

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #897 of 1,147
Ok nevermind it turned green now :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #898 of 1,147
So the PA has been getting lots of love this holiday season. A few thoughts for you gentlemen:

1. Socket savers/test sockets = a must. The 7-pin miniatures are becoming harder to find, so pick some up wherever you can. 
2. My HE500s love the PA. I've grill & Fuzzor modded mine and replaced the stock with Focus pads. Excellent combo.
3. Tube Rankings:
  • Mullards
  • Telefunkens
  • Voskhods
  • Amperex
  • Yugos

Just some thoughts to 1. help you out and 2. inject some life into this thread! Happy listening!

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #899 of 1,147
Could be interested in a pair of socket saver but we live far far away, it looks easy to switch tubes

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #900 of 1,147
I'm sure socket savers are a very good idea, but I can just now barely fit the Pan Am into the ALO zipper case (made for the Pan Am + Passport - I use it portably) with the tubes left in.  With savers, no go.

I'm banking on ALO being able to fix/replace the sockets after I screw them up 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back