ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Jan 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #901 of 1,147
Hi everyone,

thanks to tontonjok I ve bought one of the last panam sold in france and I am very happy with it!!!

It made me sold my audio gd master 8 much biger, maybe more detailed but much more expensive and not sound tuning thank's to tubes.

Now in electro dynamic and ortho I on an he400i i drive with raytheon and I am very happy with it. I have found pair of national electric I drive with happyness my hd600.

I tried on it hd800, lcd2 rev 2 and fazor, lcd3 (soon lcdx), ZMF blackwood he400 and everything is drived very well with a deep image of sound, strongness but smoothness of tubes.

I really love this amp much better than the more modest ember from garage project.

I was surprised to see that they stopped production of the panam. Maybe to do a better product ??

For the price I think i is a very very good amp but the dac is not really good to my ears (I much prefer my hex but not same cost range)

Happy to share my experience and in the same time trie to improve my english...

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #902 of 1,147
  Hi everyone,

thanks to tontonjok I ve bought one of the last panam sold in france and I am very happy with it!!!

It made me sold my audio gd master 8 much biger, maybe more detailed but much more expensive and not sound tuning thank's to tubes.

Now in electro dynamic and ortho I on an he400i i drive with raytheon and I am very happy with it. I have found pair of national electric I drive with happyness my hd600.

I tried on it hd800, lcd2 rev 2 and fazor, lcd3 (soon lcdx), ZMF blackwood he400 and everything is drived very well with a deep image of sound, strongness but smoothness of tubes.

I really love this amp much better than the more modest ember from garage project.

I was surprised to see that they stopped production of the panam. Maybe to do a better product ??

For the price I think i is a very very good amp but the dac is not really good to my ears (I much prefer my hex but not same cost range)

Happy to share my experience and in the same time trie to improve my english...

Welcome to the PanAm club. Did you purchase a Passport or Gateway power supply to go with the amp unit?

Fot tube rolling it is hard to better the NOS mullards - excellent tubes.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #903 of 1,147
Welcome Olivier :wink:

You'll get yourself a Lcd X also ???, you'll finish owning every headphones around :D

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #904 of 1,147
No I own one allready as you know but indeed it is david sylvain i lend my lcd3f before sell it to flo (all fro tellement nomade ) who let me try the lcdx on the panam.

I'll make you a return on it. I tried allready the lcdx on a audio gd sa31 se and a super7 from EC.

Tonton you know I have found sokets to change tube for cheap if you need one let me know.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #905 of 1,147
No just the panam. I tried quickly gateway of tontonjok but didńt heard differences.

I got Rca sovteck mullard, raytheon and national electric tubes.
The two last are my favorite and raytheon wins almost all the Times.

Good synergy with hd800 and he400i especialy.

With hd600 i préfér a bit the NE.

I dońt really like other ones.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #906 of 1,147
No just the panam. I tried quickly gateway of tontonjok but didńt heard differences.

I got Rca sovteck mullard, raytheon and national electric tubes.
The two last are my favorite and raytheon wins almost all the Times.

Good synergy with hd800 and he400i especialy.

With hd600 i préfér a bit the NE.

I dońt really like other ones.

It was the passport battery not the gateway, got the gateway later on

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #912 of 1,147
I checked on ebay those Raytheon 6ak5 and I see yellow red and grey ones :rolleyes:

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #914 of 1,147
I checked on ebay those Raytheon 6ak5 and I see yellow red and grey ones
rolleyes.gif

Is there a particular flavour of Raytheon tube I should be looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back