ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Nov 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #872 of 1,147
May be I'm wrong be I feel like there is a bigger soundstage and good bass anyway

Nov 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #873 of 1,147
Really interested in picking one of these up; fingers crossed ALO discounts the Pan Am and accessories even further for Black Friday. Is it likely that they're phasing the Pan Am out completely, or could it be replaced with another unit in the same space?

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #874 of 1,147
New tube impressions:

NOS Telefunkens 6ak5: Bigger space than mullards, but midrange is a little less clear. Congested maybe? Still very fun. 

NOS Amperex 5654: Super dynamic and crisp. Mullard low end with Voskhod upper end. Loving these guys so far!

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #875 of 1,147
  Really interested in picking one of these up; fingers crossed ALO discounts the Pan Am and accessories even further for Black Friday. Is it likely that they're phasing the Pan Am out completely, or could it be replaced with another unit in the same space?

I spoke with ALO over the weekend, the Pan Am is being discontinued. They will continue to support it, but are not producing more. There's no immediate direct replacement, but I was told they are working on some exciting things for later in 2015. ALO said the Pan Am was more popular than they thought it would be, but since it has been out for a couple of years, they need to start looking at updated options.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #876 of 1,147
Got some RCA NOS tubes with my Pan Am,
Just couldn't resist and had to post to tell everyone how amazing they are!
Just burnt in 10 hours.
I use AKG K702 65th as my daily HP and also tried with a friend's HD650.

Sounded even better than my Russian and Mullard tubes which I originally enjoyed!!

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #877 of 1,147
Just burnt in 10 hours.

Sounded even better than my Russian and Mullard tubes which I originally enjoyed!!

Can you describe its sound signature and how is it better than mullards and russians? :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #878 of 1,147
  Can you describe its sound signature and how is it better than mullards and russians? :)

Its the RCA square coil 6AK5.
In the AKG K702 Annies, they bring out more warmth (I like warmer sounds),
and makes the gave the highs a sparkle that gave it even more musicality (the K702 Annies was know for this already),
better than the Russian which had a overpowering bass and the Mullards that did not have such a refined high.

The HD650 was similar,
the bass was not as overpowering on the RCA compared to the Rissian,
yet it was still relatively tight compared to the Russians and Mullards.
But the Mullard did have a better mid on HD650,
but the Mullard sounded a bit too thick on the HD650 overall.

Loving my RCAs!!!!
What other headphones would you recommend for the Pan Am other than what I have or LCDs and Beyers?
I am keen to know since I have to return my HD650 soon,
and want another pair of HP to mix it up with my K702 annies.

I have some French RTC and SYLVANIA's coming in next week as well.
Will post on here as well if they are anything special.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #879 of 1,147
Just burnt in 10 hours.

I have a pair of these on the way via EBarf - if they beat the Mullards they will be very good indeed
tongue_smile.gif

I would like to try the Telefunkens, but they seem harder to find than albino unicorns.

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #880 of 1,147

I have a pair of these on the way via EBarf - if they beat the Mullards they will be very good indeed
tongue_smile.gif

I would like to try the Telefunkens, but they seem harder to find than albino unicorns.

Hope you enjoy the RCAs as much as I do!!
And hopefully you find the perfect HP paring for them too!

I know where to find telefunkens, its just that they are in shops in Hong Kong and they are freaking expensive!!

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #881 of 1,147

I know where to find telefunkens, its just that they are in shops in Hong Kong and they are freaking expensive!!

I'm using IEMs (SE535) and find the Mullards a very good match (I like a little darkness in my music).

I might pass on the Telefunkens - I already have a stack of other EF95s to try.

That's the great thing about tube rolling with the PanAm - an "expensive" set of EF95s is (typically) well under $50. Try tube rolling 300Bs and watch your bank account vaporise before your eyes.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #883 of 1,147

I probably got them from this ebay seller from HK
Real big nice sound

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #885 of 1,147
In case anyone is interested, I have two socket savers for the 7 pin tubes than the Pan Am takes for sale. Socket savers for 7 pins are hard to find and for anyone who wants to extend the life of their PA's sockets, this is a no brainer. PM me if you are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back