ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews
Sep 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #796 of 1,147
Yes I read reviews about that transportable amp being capable of handling any headphones with authority

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #798 of 1,147
:D yes pan am !!!

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #800 of 1,147

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #801 of 1,147
Just compared again Voskhods with Sylvanias. When I put Sylvania in right channel and Voskhod in left I didn't hear much difference between left and right, so the difference must be in low low and high high where human ear would not distinguish.

Played same song (Tomcraft - Pulsar) again and again and I found again same thing - both tubes are almost the same, where Voskhods are tinny bit louder, and they have stronger low-low and high-high ends, but then Sylvania show much cleaner presentation, it definitely is more detail, but I wouldn't be able to distinguish, the thing I do distinguish, and why I know Sylvania is playing is feeling of "Presence" of the music.

Weird... I thought I would be more on bass-headed side, but surprisingly more detail is something that makes me listen and listen and listen and listen again, sane and same and all over the same song. I guess human hearing self-adjusts and you can get bassy feeling in bright headphones as well, but what brain cannot do is to increase amount of detail. Actually detail makes brain think things are real, while less detail automatically makes your brain know sound is fake. You can't help it - this is your brain :D

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #802 of 1,147
I have had a few days to really get to know the PanAm better, and I have to say it does not disappoint, I am only trying to get funds together to get some Mullard tubes for this DAC/Amp unit, and only thing I do not care for so far is not having a RCA out and or preamp option for when I would like to use a Solid state amp, for better pairing with certain headphones. I have been steadily using this unit along with the Gateway psu alongside the HD600's and the ER4PT( I have listened a bit with them being that I am newer to in ear monitors, but they actually pair really well) Both sound great with the amp which is a exceptionally good tube amp. Being that there is a warmth but not overly warm with the tubes so far, to where I am losing out in detail. I would say that the DAC is a fairly good one at that, on par with the ODAC as far as clarity and clean conversion of my flacs and other tracks. The fact that I can use low gain to drive both the HD600s and the Tenore zero IEMs and get no hiss or static that I can hear to my ears really impresses me. I actually find this amp and dac suited to being versatile with many phones and Iems alike. Granted this is subjective, but I think that I am overall happy with the single set up for my desk setup. I am selling the Fournier HTA-2 which in it's own right is fantastic, giving a realism and rare energy to music I have yet to hear done from even more expensive units. In that same thought though I am not upset that I am using the PanAm's amp because it is equally as fantastic, and sounds very accurate with still have some warmth and especially life and musicality. 

EDIT: I have a pair of ZMF X Vibro's that I am going to try out on the way should be here by the weekend. And hopefully the T70's that were suppose to arrive but have not been(I swear I will lose it if USPS loses another package) And I will be trying out both of those with the PanAm and let you guys know how I feel about the sound. I am hoping the ZMF will sound good with this, and be able to be drive with authority, from what I have seen and read about phones that are good mates to the Panam give me hope

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #803 of 1,147
Okay so I feel the T70p come to life in a fantastic way with the PanAm, detail level was already great with the hp, but with the French RTA tubes the air and treble is fantastic for a closed can to feel this spacious kind of blows my mind. It feels like I am listening to a better extended DT880s, with less Brightness but more resolution detail and depth in bass. Fantastic.

Been using the Vibro with it too and I was more concerned with this one, but I am satisfied because taking the Vibro's excellent realism and midrange and just multiplying it with this DAC/Amp is basically what happens. It drives them very well considering they are harder to drive then my HD600s. I am very satisfied in this regard. Only thing I am on the fence with is no ability to use another amp with the unit has me second guessing keeping this unit, not to say the amp is not fantastic, because is. It is spacious, detailed with great power and versatility. I love the sound and clarity it gives for having tubes it is quite impressive. But i also do like solid state amps....

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #804 of 1,147
I agree
The pan am being so small, on my Pc set up I have 2 amps using Usb
One tubes and the other SS
You just need 2 headphones :D

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #806 of 1,147
I wanted to ask if anyone here has listened to the HE560 or HE400i with the PanAm? And I would definitely Like to hear their impressions, so far the PanAm, with the HD600s, was a very nice mixture of midrange, good bass clarity(more so that with the M-stage) and with the RTC French tubes I feel like the HD600s Treble sounded better extended with more clarity. I was surprised I liked the PanAm with the ZMF X Vibro but not surprised with the T70p. The Vibro already has nice bass impact with lovely and realistic midrange, some of the best I have heard in a headphone yet, but it really brought out the highs and with slight eq i am totally smitten with the headphones via PanAm. The T70p was a headphone I was not certain I would enjoy, and boy I keep plugging it in more and more straight from the rockbox ipod 5.5 I have it actually sounds great, but with the PanAm the detail and openness just catches me off guard for they are closed headphones. I would really like to hear that the PanAm pairs very well with both the HE400i and 560

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #808 of 1,147
Just received my new Hd 800 and love the sound with it !!!!!!!

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #810 of 1,147
Waiting for some AEG but right now the Russians are very good sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back