ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #946 of 1,380
Loving every moment with this amp!
This amp is able to drive any headphones I throw at it!

Currently using the following tubes:
Shuguang CV181-Z (6SN7)
Jan Phillips 6V6GT
Stock OB2
JJ GZ34

Headphones:
HD600, RS 1, Final Audio D8000, Final Audio Sonorous VI, Beyer DT990 Pro.
Still waiting for the Beyer DT1990

Attachments

• FAC11DC1-6A7A-4C8E-B8D9-8A7245CB0607.JPG
    FAC11DC1-6A7A-4C8E-B8D9-8A7245CB0607.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #947 of 1,380
Congratulations!

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #948 of 1,380
Loving every moment with this amp!
This amp is able to drive any headphones I throw at it!

Currently using the following tubes:
Shuguang CV181-Z (6SN7)
Jan Phillips 6V6GT
Stock OB2
JJ GZ34

Headphones:
HD600, RS 1, Final Audio D8000, Final Audio Sonorous VI, Beyer DT990 Pro.
Still waiting for the Beyer DT1990

Congrats! And i love the dt1990 with the s6. Lately I have been enjoying the s6 with the aventho

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #950 of 1,380
My Studio Six pairs great with Utopias, but not so much with my new Abyss Diana Phis. Has anyone found the Studio Six to work well with planar magnetics? Thanks!

Depends on sensitivity. The Diana are a bit low (91dB). What particularly isn't working well with them?

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #951 of 1,380
Depends on sensitivity. The Diana are a bit low (91dB). What particularly isn't working well with them?
Hi Currawong - Thank you for your help. I am not sure that I can accurately put into words what I am hearing, but I would generally describe it like this: when I increase the volume even modestly, things start to fall apart. (How's that for a technical description?) The soundstage becomes compressed, instrument separation is lost, grip and control - as I think of them - erode. The Diana Phis have a lovely tonality which essentially remains, but it sounds like the amp can't handle everything going on in the music, particularly when many instruments are involved. At the listening volume I like, the Utopias are in their glory whereas Diana Phis start to lose coherence. (For what it's worth, I am using a Chord Qutest with Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and power cords.) Thanks so much for your thoughts. Best, Cory H.

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #952 of 1,380
Hi Currawong - Thank you for your help. I am not sure that I can accurately put into words what I am hearing, but I would generally describe it like this: when I increase the volume even modestly, things start to fall apart. (How's that for a technical description?) The soundstage becomes compressed, instrument separation is lost, grip and control - as I think of them - erode. The Diana Phis have a lovely tonality which essentially remains, but it sounds like the amp can't handle everything going on in the music, particularly when many instruments are involved. At the listening volume I like, the Utopias are in their glory whereas Diana Phis start to lose coherence. (For what it's worth, I am using a Chord Qutest with Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and power cords.) Thanks so much for your thoughts. Best, Cory H.

What a shame. I guess it doesn't have enough power. Maybe something like a Chord Hugo TT 2 is in order?

Jan 21, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #953 of 1,380
What a shame. I guess it doesn't have enough power. Maybe something like a Chord Hugo TT 2 is in order?
Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines. My understanding is that the TT 2 hasn't yet reached our shores (this week, I am told) but it is on my list. Also, the Pass Labs HPA-1 might be worth trying. Still, the Studio Six is a lovely amp so I hope to find a better pairing for it, too.

May 2, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #955 of 1,380
Would buy a Studio Six used still be under warranty? Or does is void it completely?

You'd have to ask Ken directly. His profile is: KB

May 2, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #956 of 1,380
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 21, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #957 of 1,380
Hello all you wonderful people on this thread. I just recently went completely nuts after a few years of shifting around the mid-fi arena and over the last month have purchased some pieces of gear that I have heard, and saved for over the years. The AudioGD R-28, Abyss 1266 and HD800. I got the chance to purchase the Studio Six for a stupid savings, so I jumped on it. I couldn't believe that someone was willing to let go of this amp, so I could help myself, as I had heard it at a local Head-Fi meetup and fell in love with the way it played back music.

Here is my question to the educated members on this thread... I love the R-28 for it's natural playback of music, and the way it drives the pants off of the 1266. I have read through this thread extensively searching for the big question on if the R-28 dac will be able to support the SS well. I have to admit that I was not able to find that answer, so I am wondering if any of the owners have ever tried the R-28 with the SS before. I will have to call out Currawong for this, as I was convinced after watching his R-28 video to acquire it after I had the opportunity of spending several hours with the device. I wanted him to tell me that it was a massive waste of money, but sadly he didn't. :D In the end he was right, but this is all his fault. :D

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #958 of 1,380
We are all happy to blame @Currawong for a lot of things! :ksc75smile:

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #959 of 1,380
Hello all you wonderful people on this thread. I just recently went completely nuts after a few years of shifting around the mid-fi arena and over the last month have purchased some pieces of gear that I have heard, and saved for over the years. The AudioGD R-28, Abyss 1266 and HD800. I got the chance to purchase the Studio Six for a stupid savings, so I jumped on it. I couldn't believe that someone was willing to let go of this amp, so I could help myself, as I had heard it at a local Head-Fi meetup and fell in love with the way it played back music.

Here is my question to the educated members on this thread... I love the R-28 for it's natural playback of music, and the way it drives the pants off of the 1266. I have read through this thread extensively searching for the big question on if the R-28 dac will be able to support the SS well. I have to admit that I was not able to find that answer, so I am wondering if any of the owners have ever tried the R-28 with the SS before. I will have to call out Currawong for this, as I was convinced after watching his R-28 video to acquire it after I had the opportunity of spending several hours with the device. I wanted him to tell me that it was a massive waste of money, but sadly he didn't. :D In the end he was right, but this is all his fault. :D

Ha! SE output of Audio-gd balanced gear is just one half of the circuit. You might ask Kingwa if it is safe to use XLR to RCA adaptors with the R28. Given the R28 is on the "warm" side (though I haven't tried the very latest firmware with it yet) it would probably mate nicely with some of the more clear and lively tubes available for the Studio Six, such as the better GE tubes.

We are all happy to blame @Currawong for a lot of things! :ksc75smile:

At least people are blaming me now for making the right purchase decisions. :wink:

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #960 of 1,380
We have generally heard things the same way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back