ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #961 of 1,380
Ha! SE output of Audio-gd balanced gear is just one half of the circuit. You might ask Kingwa if it is safe to use XLR to RCA adaptors with the R28. Given the R28 is on the "warm" side (though I haven't tried the very latest firmware with it yet) it would probably mate nicely with some of the more clear and lively tubes available for the Studio Six, such as the better GE tubes.

Hey Currawong - I emailed Kingwa and he stated that there would be no problem using the XLR to RCA cables, but that the RCA still only connects the hot of the XLR... so still only 1/2 circuit. I guess it doesn't really matter using RCA outs or XLR outs. I will update the thread once the SS gets to me and I play around with it a bit. Thanks again to everyone fo their help!

Aug 23, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #962 of 1,380
@Currawong I routinely use not XLR-to-RCA, but XLR-to-6.3mm TRS cables for balanced-monaural line inputs on a PEAVEY® FX2-32 at OMS Japanese Christian Church (Walnut Creek, CA, USA) in order to isolate wireless-microphone receivers against frying from the +48VDC phantom power system intended for internally-preamplified condenser microphones and active direct boxes. The positive-hot on the XLR goes to the 6.3mm tip, the negative-hot to the 6.3mm ring; the Ground pin goes to the 6.3mm sleeve.

Aug 25, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #963 of 1,380
Hi, I just acquired a nearly new Studio Six and it sounds lovely from the get go. I've so far switched the driver to Sylvania 6sn7w metal base and the rectifier to Mullard GZ34. Love it.

I have a question. Can the GEC U52 rectifier be used in the Studio Six? I already have that rectifier and would love to try it, if it can be used.

Aug 25, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #964 of 1,380
GEC U52 rectifier works. :)

Tubes used (L to R):-
  • 1 x Sylvania 6sn7w metal base
  • 2 x Brimar CV511 (6V6 equivalent)
  • 2 x Stock OB2
  • 1 x GEC U52 rectifier
IMG-3350.JPG

Aug 26, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #965 of 1,380
This amp is crazily good. The micro details you hear, the bass when the music presents it. It's ultra quiet for a tube amp, like a solid state amp.

Now using:-
Mullard ECC33
RCA 6V6gt
Ratheon OB2
Mullard GZ34

The Raytheon OB2 was flashing red fire. I thought it's going to be on fire. Then it settle down to a very nice glow. Very nice colourful glow.

IMG-3354.JPG

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #966 of 1,380
just got my SS in today and if I plug the headphones all the way in to the jack only the right side plays, but if I back off a bit when plugging in both channels come on... but it's hissy and grainy. Any idea what could be wrong?

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #967 of 1,380
I'm no such problem with my SS. Any of the 4 headphone slots that I use gives me perfect stereo output. Just loving the SS more and more with each passing day. Loving it with the Verite, HD800 and LCD-3f. Such a polished and powerful performer. It's very quiet too.

Sounds good even with the stock tubes !

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #968 of 1,380
I'm no such problem with my SS. Any of the 4 headphone slots that I use gives me perfect stereo output. Just loving the SS more and more with each passing day. Loving it with the Verite, HD800 and LCD-3f. Such a polished and powerful performer. It's very quiet too.

Sounds good even with the stock tubes !

I may have just figured it out... I let it burn for about 20mins and found that the left 6v6 tube wasn't warm or on at all. I guess it either burned out or was damaged during shipping. I switched the tube from the right side to the left and only the left channel plays, so I ordered some new 6v6gt tubes and hope that in a few days I will be up and running.

Aug 27, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #969 of 1,380
Glad to know it's just a faulty 6v6. Hope your new tubes get in soon. When I bought the amp from another audio enthusiast, I also bought his entire tubes collection of 4 pairs of 6v6gt at a cheap price - Brimar, RCA grey glass, 2 pairs of Philips ECG one with green and the other with blue lettering. All great sounding tubes.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #970 of 1,380
Well, based on a recommendation from another Head-Fi member I went ahead and placed an order with Upscale Audio for some new tubes earlier in the week. I have to say that the group over at Upscale is fantastic. I had called them to inquire about their stock of Philips 5R4GYS for the SS, but the kind guy on the other end of the phone stated that they were saving their remaining stock for customers of theirs that had purchased a PrimaLuna from them. While that sucks, I do appreciate that they are keeping a stash of those for their customers.

any way... I went ahead and purchased the following tubes from Upscale:

• Pope 6v6GT x2
  • Early Russian 6H8C/6SN7 - "Kevins Stash"
  • PrimaLuna 5AR4

I am now up and 100% functional on my SS. I can't say that I can compare these tubes to anything else, as the left 6v6 was DOA, but this setup through my 1266 is just amazing. I am using the AudioGD R-28 as a source and at this point I would not change a single thing. I thought for fun to throw my old reliable set of HD600 on this setup and oh boy was that just a magnificent treat. I am only going by memory here, but I do not remember the HD600 sounding so good out of my old Bottlehead Crack. What an absolute treat this amp is, and I have already reached out to Periapt to see if they can make an adapter cable to run speakers off of this. I can only image holy magical that could be for some bookshelf speakers. I would love to try it with a pair of Studio 530's that I have currently doing TV work.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #971 of 1,380
What an absolute treat this amp is

I can't agree more. I have owned several OTL amps but the Studio Six is the first transformer coupled amp that I've owned. The workmanship is just first class. The sockets are top quality, similar to Yamamoto's sockets. What's more impressive is the quietness of the amp when the tubes are powered up. I don't hear any tube hum or noise. Just black background. Very impressive. The first listen is equally as impressive with the 6sn7 in the driver's seat and 6v6 as powers. What a lovely tone. Polished, refined and power on tap. I try all 3 of my headphones with it - HD800, LCD-3f and ZMF Verite. I had stunning results from HD800 and LCD-3f. Best I've heard from them in any amp. Only the ZMF Verite seem to sound better on my other Glenn OTL amp but it was still very very good on the Studio Six.

Switching the various 6v6, 6sn7 and rectifiers brings a smile to my face. Such a versatile amp for tube rolling. Using some of my best tubes just takes the magic to another level.

So you're getting good result using your Abyss 1266 with the Studio Six? That's really good to know.

I wonder if the Studio Six is still in production @KB (Ken Ball)? On the ALO Studio website, it says currently out of stock - unavailable.

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #975 of 1,380
A few words about driving loudspeakers with a Studio Six:

Yes, the Studio Six can drive relatively sensitive/efficient loudspeakers to satisfying SPLs in a modest-sized listening room or in a near-field listening arrangement.

Loudspeakers using full-range or wide-range drivers and/or minimal crossovers are tend to work the best.

Even loudspeakers of moderate 87-90dB W/M sensitivity can sound good, as long as one is listening relatively closely, and not expecting to pressurize the room to a discotheque-like SPL. Again, the selection of speakers without crossovers, or utilizing relatively simple, easy to drive crossovers is crucial.

Some of the currently available sensitive and efficient loudspeakers (93dB W/M or more) can actually play very powerfully with the Studio Six. Case in Point: The 'Lore' series of floor-standing two-way loudspeakers by Tekton Design. I used a pair of standard Tekton Lore's for over two years. The 1-Watt per-channel of the Studio Six can sound massive through those speakers. The bass quality and extension, the dynamics, etc were superb. The Lore's would play loud, cleanly, to an SPL which was too high for my tastes 95% of the time (in my modest/average listening room).

I am presently listening mostly with a pair of 'Compact Alnico Monitors' by Omega Loudspeakers. Though not quite capable of matching the SPL, bass extension or dynamic punch of the Tekton Lores, they nonetheless reproduce music of all types in a very lively, engaging and organic way. In my modest listening area, I find them ideal for my tastes. I listen to a wide variety of music including classical, jazz, blues, classic rock, progressive rock, 80's alternative, electronica etc... Note: the Omega Compact Alnico Monitors sound great by themselves, but I also have an Omega 'DeepHemp 8 subwoofer' which adds good heft and weight on the bass end down to about 30Hz when desired. Much of the time I listen to the monitors alone, with the subwoofer turned off.

The above is given simply as food for though, based on recent personal experience.

Omega and Tekton are certainly not the only companies offering high-quality, sensitive, "tube friendly" loudspeakers at reasonable price points these days. There are a good number of other manufacturers which are also worthy of exploring.

Have Fun!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back