ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #977 of 1,380
Hi @TomSix glad you’re still showing up on this thread.

Where can I buy the cable to drive speakers from the Studio Six.

ALO did make a *very limited* number of 1/4" stereo plug to L/R speaker lines dongles awhile ago, but I don't know if these were ever formally offered as a retail sale item. You might inquire with Ken Ball.

I'd suggest finding a local tech enthusiast make you a dongle consisting of a 1/4" stereo plug and perhaps a 4 to 6 foot run of cable to a small cast metal project box with a pair of L/R speaker binding posts affixed. The stereo plug could be inserted to a jack, and the cable looped underneath the Studio Six, so that the speaker binding post connection box would be out of sight somewhere behind the amplifier, and thus separate speaker cables of your choice could be connected and run to the speakers

Perhaps not an entirely elegant arrangement, but quite pragmatic and practical.

One could also install a good toggle switch on the dongle terminal box to facilitate easy on/off switching of the loudspeakers without the necessity of inserting/removing the phone plug.

I hope these suggestions help

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #978 of 1,380
A few words about driving loudspeakers with a Studio Six:

Yes, the Studio Six can drive relatively sensitive/efficient loudspeakers to satisfying SPLs in a modest-sized listening room or in a near-field listening arrangement.

Loudspeakers using full-range or wide-range drivers and/or minimal crossovers are tend to work the best.

Even loudspeakers of moderate 87-90dB W/M sensitivity can sound good, as long as one is listening relatively closely, and not expecting to pressurize the room to a discotheque-like SPL. Again, the selection of speakers without crossovers, or utilizing relatively simple, easy to drive crossovers is crucial.

Some of the currently available sensitive and efficient loudspeakers (93dB W/M or more) can actually play very powerfully with the Studio Six. Case in Point: The 'Lore' series of floor-standing two-way loudspeakers by Tekton Design. I used a pair of standard Tekton Lore's for over two years. The 1-Watt per-channel of the Studio Six can sound massive through those speakers. The bass quality and extension, the dynamics, etc were superb. The Lore's would play loud, cleanly, to an SPL which was too high for my tastes 95% of the time (in my modest/average listening room).

I am presently listening mostly with a pair of 'Compact Alnico Monitors' by Omega Loudspeakers. Though not quite capable of matching the SPL, bass extension or dynamic punch of the Tekton Lores, they nonetheless reproduce music of all types in a very lively, engaging and organic way. In my modest listening area, I find them ideal for my tastes. I listen to a wide variety of music including classical, jazz, blues, classic rock, progressive rock, 80's alternative, electronica etc... Note: the Omega Compact Alnico Monitors sound great by themselves, but I also have an Omega 'DeepHemp 8 subwoofer' which adds good heft and weight on the bass end down to about 30hz when desired. Much of the time I listen to the monitors alone, with the subwoofer turned off.

The above is given simply as food for though, based on recent personal experience.

Omega and Tekton are certainly not the only companies offering high-quality, sensitive, "tube friendly" loudspeakers at reasonable price points these days. There are a good number of other manufacturers which are also worthy of exploring.

Have Fun!
Building an insert cable for 6.3mm should be simple enough, but wouldn't the ultimate test for speakers for the Studio Six be a pair of restored Western Electric® 555 compression drivers, each driving a replica of the WE 15 horn? The 15 was one of the first loudspeakers developed for theatres and cinema houses, and it was full range for the late 1920's. The WE 16 was intended to require less space than the 15 while still delivering full-range performance from the 555.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #979 of 1,380
ALO did make a *very limited* number of 1/4" stereo plug to L/R speaker lines dongles awhile ago, but I don't know if these were ever formally offered as a retail sale item. You might inquire with Ken Ball.

I'd suggest finding a local tech enthusiast make you a dongle consisting of a 1/4" stereo plug and perhaps a 4 to 6 foot run of cable to a small cast metal project box with a pair of L/R speaker binding posts affixed. The stereo plug could be inserted to a jack, and the cable looped underneath the Studio Six, so that the speaker binding post connection box would be out of sight somewhere behind the amplifier, and thus separate speaker cables of your choice could be connected and run to the speakers

Perhaps not an entirely elegant arrangement, but quite pragmatic and practical.

One could also install a good toggle switch on the dongle terminal box to facilitate easy on/off switching of the loudspeakers without the necessity of inserting/removing the phone plug.

I hope these suggestions help

Yes thanks. I might get someone to make those cables for me though I've several stereo amps to drive speakers already.

I just want to say thanks for the Studio Six. It's quite an incredible headphone amp. So well executed and the quality of construction is top notch. SQ wise, it has kept me up several nights listening to music. It's that good.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #980 of 1,380
Building an insert cable for 6.3mm should be simple enough, but wouldn't the ultimate test for speakers for the Studio Six be a pair of restored Western Electric® 555 compression drivers, each driving a replica of the WE 15 horn? The 15 was one of the first loudspeakers developed for theatres and cinema houses, and it was full range for the late 1920's. The WE 16 was intended to require less space than the 15 while still delivering full-range performance from the 555.

The Studio Six, having very low hum and noise levels, would be a very good match for high sensitivity/efficiency horn-loaded loudspeaker systems.

One modestly priced option would be one of the back-loaded horn kits presently offered by Madisound. The BK-12, BK-16 or BK-20 cabinets accommodate 4", 6" or 8" full-range Fostex drivers respectively.

I've personally owned and used the BK-16 horns paired with Fostex T90 horn supertweeters, and results were excellent. The reproduction of transients/dynamics was particularly noteworthy. Such horns are limited in bass extension, and so a quality 'fast' sealed-cabinet subwoofer to fill in from maybe 80Hz and below would likely work well.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #981 of 1,380
Yes thanks. I might get someone to make those cables for me though I've several stereo amps to drive speakers already.

I just want to say thanks for the Studio Six. It's quite an incredible headphone amp. So well executed and the quality of construction is top notch. SQ wise, it has kept me up several nights listening to music. It's that good.

Thank you

It's my pleasure, to hear of your gratifying results and personal enjoyment

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #982 of 1,380
Here's a picture of the Studio Six in my listening station. Agreed that the Studio Six have very low noise level and tubes that exhibited some hum in other tube amps, have been silent in the Studio Six. That's quite amazing.

IMG-3385.JPG

Oct 2, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #983 of 1,380
The Studio Six has met with universal acclaim so I bought one today (thanks Olumm). It should arrive in the next week or two. In addition to the stock tubes, it comes with the following:
6SN7 - Early Russian 6H8C / 6SN7 (Select Grade: Kevin\\\\\\\\'s Stash, Cryogenic Treatment)
6V6GT - Pope 6V6GT (Cryogenic Treatment)
OB2 - 2 RARE MINT 1960s RAYTHEON 0B2 (purchased from eBay)
5AR4 - PrimaLuna 5AR4​
Would love to hear any views on this set of tubes. I listen to a wide range of music primarily alternative but ranging from folk, jazz, a little classical to recently metal (thanks to Tool's Innoculum).

I'll be using it with a Tidal, Chord M Scaler, Chord Hugo 2 and Focal Utopia. I may well move it into my 2-channel room on occasion in which case I'll use it with my Roksan turntable and Teddy Pardo preamp.
It seems that Audeze are the most common pairing with the Studio Six. Would like to hear from anyone running Utopias with theirs.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #984 of 1,380
It’s a great amp. Mine’s about 1.5 months old now. My headphones sounds great with it. I’m using ZMF Verite and HD800.

I’ve a bunch of NOS tubes too including rectifiers.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #985 of 1,380
If I should hunt Euro equivalent tubes for the types used in the ALO Audio Studio Six, would these types be acceptable substitutes?

For 6SN7GT and/or 6SN7W/VT-231: Sovtek® 6N8S (Cyrillic: 6Н8С), EMI® CV1988, Mullard® ECC32.
For 6V6G and/or 6V6GW/VT-107B: EMI® VT196, Mullard® CV509, Bofors® 552D, Sovtek® 6P6S-U2/6P11S (Cyrillic: 6П6С-У2/6П11С).
For 5AR4: Mullard® GZ-34.
For 0A2: EMI® 150C2.

Oct 3, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #986 of 1,380
If I should hunt Euro equivalent tubes for the types used in the ALO Audio Studio Six, would these types be acceptable substitutes?

For 6SN7GT and/or 6SN7W/VT-231: Sovtek® 6N8S (Cyrillic: 6Н8С), EMI® CV1988, Mullard® ECC32.
For 6V6G and/or 6V6GW/VT-107B: EMI® VT196, Mullard® CV509, Bofors® 552D, Sovtek® 6P6S-U2/6P11S (Cyrillic: 6П6С-У2/6П11С).
For 5AR4: Mullard® GZ-34.
For 0A2: EMI® 150C2.

I can only answer for a few.

For 6SN7GT and/or 6SN7W/VT-231: Sovtek® 6N8S (Cyrillic: 6Н8С), EMI® CV1988 - Yes.
ECC32 is not a 6sn7 direct replacement so not sure. However ECC33 is ok and sounds brilliant on my SS.

For 5AR4: Mullard® GZ-34. - Yes.
I use a Mullard GZ34 made in UK Blackburn factory and it sounded very good. However my favourite rectifiers in the SS are the GEC U52 and Cossor 53ku fat boy. These 2 are very good but also very expensive.

For 6V6G: You can use Mullard CV509. I use this pair of Fivre 6V6G / CV509 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6V6G-CV509-FIVRE-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE-/311574587793

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #987 of 1,380
I am selling my 9.5+/10 black Studio Six if anyone is interested. Would trade for Auris Nirvana.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #988 of 1,380
Are you replacing it with anything?

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #989 of 1,380
Yes and no. I was running Utopia with the SS which was fabulous. I just switched to Abyss 1266 TC which i'm running off my TT2. The 1266 needs power. I'd have loved to have kept the Studio SIx Utopia combo, but I'm not made of money :gs1000smile:

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #990 of 1,380
Makes sense. The Abyss will take all the power you can give them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back