ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #931 of 1,380
Could any one share what are the recommended current production tube combinations for the ALO studio Six?

I have a modest suggestion:

I'd tend to stick with the stock JJ 5AR4 rectifier. It's about as good as any current production 5AR4/GZ34 on the market, and so there is little room for improvement. All gas regulator tubes available today are NOS, and there is no appreciable improvement with any selections other than the stock tubes. And so I would not bother to try and find "better" gas reg tubes --almost nil sonic improvement/difference to be had.

This leaves us with the 6V6 output tubes and the 6SN7 input tube. Different makes/brands/issues of these tubes *will* provide very different, contrasting subjective results.

As a good baseline, as a current-manufacture improvement over the stock tubes in the Studio-Six, I would recommend both the 'Tung Sol' reissue 6V6GT tubes, and 'Tung Sol' reissue 6SN7GTB tube.

There are a few brands of exotic new-production 6SN7 tubes available, but they are extravagantly expensive.

BTW: 1940's-1960's quality manufacture NOS tubes (RCA, GE, SYLVANIA, BRIMAR, PHILIPS, etcetera...) will generally provide a much higher subjective quality of sound than virtually *any* current manufacture 6V6 or (IMO) 6SN7 type tubes. If you shop around, you should be able to find some nice NOS 6SN7 and 6V6 tubes for maybe $20 to $60 apiece. Some NOS tubes are much more expensive, but not always actually superior to moderately priced NOS tubes.

ALSO: A number of experienced Studio-Six owners in this thread have had good results with NOS Philips ECG JAN 6V6GT Tubes. I believe these military-spec tubes were manufactured as late as the 1980's. They have blue lettering. These 6V6GT tubes can be found at quite reasonable prices online.

My two cents...

I hope that helps

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #932 of 1,380
Thanks Tom - yes the hum is equal in both channels with the volume turned right down, To be fair I’ve only just purchased the Utopias so may have been overly sensitive to it. I’m currently listening to music as I type and to be honest the sound is the best I’ve ever heard... I loved the HEK v2’s (and still do) but the Utopias on the Studio 6 are just another level (to my ears). Guitar music and vocals are just scarily life like with not a hint of sybillance or treble harshness which is what I was worried about.
Not normal.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #933 of 1,380
Question : is the Studio 6 as refined headamp ?
I owned several Cavalli, which to me are refined.
I listen mostly to classical and don't care for in-your-face power.
Thougths ?

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #934 of 1,380
The Studio Six can definitely hang with the Cavalli amps. Given that the Cavalli's are no longer made, though Alex is still around, you would have to find a used one. The Liquid Glass would be the equivalent amp. You win either way between the Cavalli or the S6.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #935 of 1,380
The Studio Six can definitely hang with the Cavalli amps. Given that the Cavalli's are no longer made, though Alex is still around, you would have to find a used one. The Liquid Glass would be the equivalent amp. You win either way between the Cavalli or the S6.
Thx. I own a Liquid Glass. Is the ST6 decisively superior ?

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #936 of 1,380
No. Both amps are wonderful and both offer interesting tube rolling opportunities. I love my S6. it is the best tube amp I have ever paired with my HD800's. However the LG is also terrific. The S6 is strictly single ended but can drive 4 pair of cans at the same time. Plus it can drive the ALO Audio phono pre-amp as a power supply. For most MM and average output MC's it is a sweet sounding phono pre.

At this level there may be a certain nuance that appeals more to you but these are both reference level tube headphone amps.

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #937 of 1,380
Thanks.
I'm looking for more flesh and more space. I like the LG very much, but wondered if the ST6 could be as refined with more body and a larger soundstage.
If not the ST6, what amp could bring this ?

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #938 of 1,380
When paired with the HD800's there is a huge soundstage.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #940 of 1,380
Your call. They are both TOTL amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back