ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jun 2, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #196 of 1,084
Had a mini meet with Kremer930's new iPod/CLAS/RX3B setup today and I took my DX100.

Have to say the iPod/CLAS/RX3B (balanced) rig was very impressive and powerful to say the least. I have previously owned a CLAS/SR71a (sold) but I couldn't remember it sounding as good as Kremer930's rig.

I couldn't really pick the difference between the DX100 v the DX100/RX3 Single Ended using my IE8's although we were in a cafe conditions.

I could definitely hear the SQ gain using the DX100>RX3 balanced out and was actually taken back but how powerful the RX3B is. I did conclude that the DX100 is pretty good stand alone compared to a three x stack rig however the balanced headphones sounded good but IMO would be possibly be the only reason on why you would buy the RX3B on top of the DX100.

If I was starting fresh and $ was not an option and you were ok with iTunes then Kremer930's rig is really that good. If portability is an issue and you're not partial to iTunes the DX100 is definitely no slouch.

I heard the channel imbalance at low levels with my IE8's but hardly heard it with Kremer's DT1350's but it didn't annoy me or get in the way of normal listening levels however if you suffer from OCD it might.

One thing we did notice is my DX100 is a little more mellow sounding stand alone compared to Kremer930's rig.  All up if you are contemplating the iPod/CLAS/RX3B you will not be disappointed 
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #197 of 1,084
Quote:
Had a mini meet with Kremer930's new iPod/CLAS/RX3B setup today and I took my DX100.

Have to say the iPod/CLAS/RX3B (balanced) rig was very impressive and powerful to say the least. I have previously owned a CLAS/SR71a (sold) but I couldn't remember it sounding as good as Kremer930's rig.

I couldn't really pick the difference between the DX100 v the DX100/RX3 Single Ended using my IE8's although we were in a cafe conditions.

Exactly what I thought as well.

I could definitely hear the SQ gain using the DX100>RX3 balanced out and was actually taken back but how powerful the RX3B is. I did conclude that the DX100 is pretty good stand alone compared to a three x stack rig however the balanced headphones sounded good but IMO would be possibly be the only reason on why you would buy the RX3B on top of the DX100.

Single ended the DX100 does compete with the Rx3 for me, at least out of the box before it settled down after burn-in. My Mk3 still has only a few hours on it.  Less than 100 right now.

If I was starting fresh and $ was not an option and you were ok with iTunes then Kremer930's rig is really that good. If portability is an issue and you're not partial to iTunes the DX100 is definitely no slouch.

Agreed.

I heard the channel imbalance at low levels with my IE8's but hardly heard it with Kremer's DT1350's but it didn't annoy me or get in the way of normal listening levels however if you suffer from OCD it might.

Never noticed it but I am sure some do because this issue comes up so often.

One thing we did notice is my DX100 is a little more mellow sounding stand alone compared to Kremer930's rig.  All up if you are contemplating the iPod/CLAS/RX3B you will not be disappointed 
biggrin.gif

Yes I would call it slightly warmer sounding but you have it right the DX100 amp is a bit more mellow sounding than the Mk3.

My primary setup is the DX100 and Mk3 using the DT1350, Westone ES5 both balanced and sometimes the remainder of my portable stuff: HD25, Westone 4r, ATH-ESW10JPN when I want to hear something different.  I have not found that using my iBasso DB2 between the DX100 and Mk3 adds anything. The DX100 DAC single ended is as good as the balanced DB2 and probably better.

My most portable setup and it sounds very good is to use my iTouch with my ES5 alone.  Not as good as the DX100 and Mk3 but still very good.

Thanks for the write-up.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #198 of 1,084
Quote:

My primary setup is the DX100 and Mk3 using the DT1350, Westone ES5 both balanced and sometimes the remainder of my portable stuff: HD25, Westone 4r, ATH-ESW10JPN when I want to hear something different.  I have not found that using my iBasso DB2 between the DX100 and Mk3 adds anything. The DX100 DAC single ended is as good as the balanced DB2 and probably better.

My most portable setup and it sounds very good is to use my iTouch with my ES5 alone.  Not as good as the DX100 and Mk3 but still very good.

Thanks for the write-up.

Okay so you guys got me all confused.

One says balanced will reduce the noise floor and eliminate(?) channel imbalance with their ES5.

The other says balanced will not cure the problem.

I really don't know whether I should get a balanced adapter for the JH11s then. I can't really use my JH11s Single-ended-ly at the moment with the MK3 because the noise floor is excessive, and the channel imbalance between 1 to 2 or 2:30 o'lock is just crazily bad. By the time I eliminate the channel imbalance by turning it up higher (probably to 3 o'clock-ish), then it is way too loud for me already.

Since I am buying cables for my HD700s, too, I am thinking whether I should add in the order for the balanced adapter for my JH11s, and hopefully I can get a conclusion within the next day or so.

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #199 of 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't really use my JH11s Single-ended-ly at the moment with the MK3 because the noise floor is excessive, and the channel imbalance between 1 to 2 or 2:30 o'lock is just crazily bad. By the time I eliminate the channel imbalance by turning it up higher (probably to 3 o'clock-ish), then it is way too loud for me already.

mcee.. If I were you I would return the amp to Ken and have him reduce the gain settings to suit your IEMs

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #201 of 1,084
I wonder if Ken could provide some test data and commentary around the affect of reducing the gain in the low mode setting?

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #203 of 1,084
I think Ken was saying that the gain can definitely be lowered. This will definitely allow a greater range of volume adjustment but may not necessarily lower the noise floor.

I still think that it is the best portable amp overall that I have ever auditioned. That includes, RA1, iBasso D12 and PB2, RSA 71/b and Alo Rx2. My second place would go to the PB2 as it sounds great but is half the price and allows for sound tuning by opamp rolling.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #204 of 1,084
Further to the DX100 CLAS rig comparison, I thought that the DX100 may have been slightly more resolving but the CLAS was more musical and more analogue sounding. I found that the CLAS had more body to the sounds.

That said....if the DX100 gets the UI to be a bit easier to use and with larger internal storage then I would happily grab one.

You can't go wrong with either. It is like asking Lamborghini or Ferrari?

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #205 of 1,084
I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but i'm massively confused by the fact, that the Mk3 according to some can even drive the HE-6 half decently, and that it is the most powerful portable amp at the moment.... And then i read the specs that said 640mW @ 32ohm ...Compared to, say, the iBasso PB2 which has like 4 times that in max power settings... I'm really confuzzled by this, can anyone explain? :p

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #206 of 1,084
Quote:

To use your setup with a balanced input you need a cable with a 4 pin XLR to RSA connector made up for you.  I have a connector cable that I use for my iBasso DB2 output into my RSA SR-71B that Moon Audio made up for me using the IEM Silver Dragon wire. Obviously this one does not use the 4 pin XLR that you appear to need.   Your balanced DAC output connector will have to match what you are using if it is not the iBasso DB2 or DB1 as shown below.   Based on your wanting to use a 4 pin XLR connector it does not seem that you will be using your Mk3 balanced input when going portable.

This cable is providing a balanced input into the RSA SR-71B as shown and you need something similar for the Mk3.

What would I need to use it with DX100/HP-P1?

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #207 of 1,084
Quote:
What would I need to use it with DX100/HP-P1?

No since what was shown is a dac that is balanced providing a balanced input to the Mk3.  The DX100/HP-P1 can only provide a single ended output as an input to the Mk3.  You would only take one of those as a single ended output into your Mk3.  The only reason to use both is if your transport is your Apple device instead of the DX100.  I prefer the DX100 dac output single ended to my DB2 balanced output into the Mk3-b or SR-71b.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #208 of 1,084
Quote:
No since what was shown is a dac that is balanced providing a balanced input to the Mk3.  The DX100/HP-P1 can only provide a single ended output as an input to the Mk3.  You would only take one of those as a single ended output into your Mk3.  The only reason to use both is if your transport is your Apple device instead of the DX100.  I prefer the DX100 dac output single ended to my DB2 balanced output into the Mk3-b or SR-71b.

Finally it makes sense to me.  Thanks much for your help slwiser.  

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #210 of 1,084

Hi slwiser, do you mind posting a picture of this setup? I am contemplating going the same route but need to know how you connect between dx100 and db2? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back