ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Dec 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #721 of 1,084
Just received my RXMK3-B+. Started the burn-in process. But listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories on my LCD-2s. The soundstage is awesome. You can listen to every instrument with the right depth in the sound. Listening to "Giorgio by Moroder" feels like I am in a Discotheque :beyersmile:

I tried using the SE 846, in balanced mode with the Amp, and sure enough, there was bit of back ground noise. From initial impressions, I feel its manageable. I am expecting my JH Audio Roxannes next week. It will be interesting to hear what the noise will sound like on those IEMs.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #722 of 1,084
In addition whilst the RxMk3 was warming up, I spent most of my time listening through my new FitEar TO GO! 334 too. So possibly another variable changing there. As such, the aforementioned huge pinch of salt comment. The only exception is the last tracks where I put on my already burnt-in UM Merlins.
jnS1AF

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #723 of 1,084
I received the Mk3+ and immediately went into shock with the power this amp packs this is a major upgrade to anything I own have only listened for a couple hours with Cypher Labs Solo dac and Ipod using lossless files 2 cans so far Ultrasone Ed 8  and Senn HD25 cant wait to try the HiFiman 400 when I get home from work. This amp hits hard !!  

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #725 of 1,084
  Will the Green Line balanced adapter allow any headphone with a mini jack connector to plug into it ? I've asked ALO but they haven't gave a response if it does is it worth the money ?  

This question is hard to answer simply - do you have balanced headphone cables on your Ultrasone, Senn or Hifiman?  If so, depending on the termination to the cable (XLR3, XLR4, rsa, miniXLR, hirose) there is probably a Greenline adaptor, so you can plug the phones into a single-ended amp or player.  If you have stock single-ended cables on your `phones then the only reason to plug them into a balanced adaptor is to access a balanced-only output; no balancing of the signal will occur.  You can plug 3.5mm single-ended `phones directly into the MK3; using an adaptor to access the RSA output with single-ended headphone cables achieves nothing (I think - others may disagree, and they may very well be correct)

The green line system is really well made (I had a good look at it at the Tokyo show recently) - very professional quality, like my ALO amp .  But it is just a series of connectors soldered together on ends of wire, and to me it looked like the stock Oyaide wire one can buy in any electronics shop here in Tokyo (it is very good wire).  So you would be paying for the convenience of all that fine-detailed, PITA soldering and heat-shrink wrapping.  I think it`s worth it.  But more for simplicity and convenience and aesthetics than for sound-quality boost. IMO

But first you`d need balanced cables on your headphones. ...

Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

d

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #726 of 1,084
Thank you very much that is EXACTLEY what I was asking ! Do you feel a balanced system is a significant change in the audio signal or is it like the bass knob on the MK3 and very subtle ? I only plan to go balanced with 1 set of cans and can't decide between the HiFiman 400 or the Senn 650 I really enjoy them both mellow with the Senns and fast with the 400's I wasn't that impressed with the 400 tell I hooked them up with the MK3 now WOW they hit hard and fast if balanced can improve that I'm in !!

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #727 of 1,084
Thank you very much that is EXACTLEY what I was asking ! Do you feel a balanced system is a significant change in the audio signal or is it like the bass knob on the MK3 and very subtle ? I only plan to go balanced with 1 set of cans and can't decide between the HiFiman 400 or the Senn 650 I really enjoy them both mellow with the Senns and fast with the 400's I wasn't that impressed with the 400 tell I hooked them up with the MK3 now WOW they hit hard and fast if balanced can improve that I'm in !!

I've balanced 3 of my headphones and the results varied from subtle to significant.  I think the stock cable quality plays a role.  My HD25s had an awful quality steel cable, and my mind was blown when I went to balanced silver plated copper.  My HD650s were only a mild improvement, but still an enjoyable experience.  If your headphones have good synergy with the Mk3, I would always suggest making the move to balanced.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #728 of 1,084
Hallo.
My name is Ciro and the city of Torino in Italy
(Sorry my English is not very accurate ..)
I bought a Astell & kern Ak120 modification RedWine (RWAK120-S)
How to use headphones of Akg551.
What to choose?
AloAudio RxMkIIIB + or Vorzuge Pure II?
Point out that this system will use ONLY in mobility (train, plane, subway ...)
The headphones Akg551 have a slight deficiency in the low range. For my taste in music is not a defect excessive. The purchase of the amplifier would need to 1) optimize the Ak120 2) to improve the low range.
Thanks

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #729 of 1,084
If I were you, use the ALO Rx. Also, invest in some better headphones if you already own an AK modified by Redwine. Get some LCD-XCs and really get that AK and ALO Rx to be incredible :)

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #730 of 1,084
I have been thinking of purchasing a balanced cable for my universal Heir iems [4 and 350] am running a brick with ipod MK3+ and Cypher Labs Solo, Will there be a significant difference in sound signature especially since the DAC is not balanced ? If the difference is as subtle as the bass boost on the MK3 I'm going to save the money and purchase either the Stage Diver 3 or the Noble 6
 Thanks in advance

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #731 of 1,084
  I have been thinking of purchasing a balanced cable for my universal Heir iems [4 and 350] am running a brick with ipod MK3+ and Cypher Labs Solo, Will there be a significant difference in sound signature especially since the DAC is not balanced ? If the difference is as subtle as the bass boost on the MK3 I'm going to save the money and purchase either the Stage Diver 3 or the Noble 6
 Thanks in advance

I upgraded my cable for my heir audio 5 to the Whiplash 8 RSA balanced for my ALO MK3 and the difference from the stock cable was like night and day. 

I couldn't believe a cable could make such a difference but it did this time.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #732 of 1,084
  I upgraded my cable for my heir audio 5 to the Whiplash 8 RSA balanced for my ALO MK3 and the difference from the stock cable was like night and day. 

I couldn't believe a cable could make such a difference but it did this time.

I also the same setup except for my iem's are the 5 instead of the 4

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #733 of 1,084
Great ! I'm ordering one today just wasn't clear on the Cypher Lab Solo dac being single ended in the middle of the stack but if it improves the sound it will be worth it. I about pulled the trigger on the Heir 5 then Noble Audio came on the scene so now I'm saving for a Noble 6 DAMN this hobby [lol]

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #734 of 1,084
I highly recommend going fully balanced; input to output.
CLAS-dB+>RxMk3+ is a great setup especially with the LCD-XCs

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #735 of 1,084
I'm writing tonight and am currently listening to this Japanese jazz band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6yckPTDNw

on my MBA>Audirvana>CLAS-dB>RxMk3 and my LCD3s 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back