ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International"
Feb 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #61 of 202
Quote:

Nope :p. That was my first test when I tried it - clean as a wistle!! Having said that, I tried the Rx Mk3 next to it and there little to no pot scratch either.

Now I'm wondering when I first got my Rx Mk3 last year if there was pot scratch free and developed over time or if it was always like that.

Well we cant all have imagined it lol

mine still makes the scratching noise but only when I turn the volume up/down

Might buy the AK100 + DB2 + this puppy (or use my RX3B)

your thoughts? Do you have that combo already? 

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #62 of 202
Quote:
Kind of saying that my RXmk3 is obsolete? :/

Certainly no. The RXMK3 overall is a higher performing amp than the International is. The International is the pinnacle of utility and space, but the RX is and always has been about performance. That comes first. It stands toe-toe with L3, FiQuest and a few other big hitters. The International is a great amp/DAC, but its target is everything. It's a great jack of all spades. The Rx lacks a DAC but its output circuit is the queen of spades. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #63 of 202
Quote:

I've not tried the AK100+DB2. Rudi or his friend has the DB2. To me though I'm personally happy enough with the AK100 DAC so I'd just use the AK100 with an external amp.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #64 of 202
Quote:
Certainly no. The RXMK3 overall is a higher performing amp than the International is. The International is the pinnacle of utility and space, but the RX is and always has been about performance. That comes first. It stands toe-toe with L3, FiQuest and a few other big hitters. The International is a great amp/DAC, but its target is everything. It's a great jack of all spades. The Rx lacks a DAC but its output circuit is the queen of spades. 

So it's spades then, aimed squarely.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #65 of 202
Quote:

I've not tried the AK100+DB2. Rudi or his friend has the DB2. To me though I'm personally happy enough with the AK100 DAC so I'd just use the AK100 with an external amp.

Quote:

AK 100 stock + ibasso DB 2 via optical cable + alo Rx 3 B or the intruder is one if the best AK 100 stock combo 

overal : more clear , more detail , has better tonal balance and better bass impact and very
             Clean deep bass.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #66 of 202
Quote:

Yes it is true shigzeo 
i am totally agree with your explanation above 

between international vs intruder I want hear by my self sometime in this week .
i think Dac section international has plus point 
but for the amp section i must try by my self 

for fair A and B comparison :
DAC section : 
source : iMac or pc
Dac : Use these two  DAC from international and intruder 
Amp : use only one amp for example international 

amp section :
source : iMac or pc
Dac : use one Dac from these two Dac either from international or intruder 
Amp : use these two amps 

with this above methods is fair A and B comparison

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #67 of 202
Re: Clas Solo db + International combination

To clarify I asked Audiohead on their International review comments section what difference was heard between using single ended vs balanced connecting the Clas Solo db + International together. You can read the brief conversation yourself. Nothing more than a point of interest.

Not at all a case of the International being the best external amp to pair with the Clas solo db, I certainly have no clue. Accordingly for iDevice users, which of: (1) Solo db + International, or (2) Solo db + RXMK3, or (3) Solo db + xxx amp is better is yet to be determined.

By "determined" I mean a general consensus forming from many professional and amateur reviews and comparisons. So we all look forward for those impressions as they come in
cool.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #68 of 202
I've been trying to find out some info about this DAC/Amp. Does anyone know if this is fully balanced? I have read from the ALO page that they use the Burr Brown DRV134 which takes SE and balances out (thereby phase splitting) but presumably that means using SE from an external DAC.

However, what happens when it's used :-

1) as a USB DAC? Does it phase split or is it fully balanced throughout? One of the pros of the CLAS -dB+Rx Mk3 combo is that it's fully balanced back-to-front
2) [and more importantly to me] when used with the CLAS -dB with balanced IC, would the circuity be fully balanced too back-to-front, like the Rx Mk3?

This info seems hard to come by. Anyone has any info about this is greatly appreciated.

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #69 of 202
My review is pretty much finished. I have just to finish a final stress test (loud volumes to check distortion with several headphones) that will take me most of tomorrow morning. So far, the International seems to pack the best of the National with some of the great stuff of the Pan Am, but in a portable package. Layout is better than either in some ways; size is a big plus, but the front panel array is perfect. In terms of driving resolution, the International and the National seem to be pretty even if not a dead heat, so you get excellent power and control for a huge range of headphones. IEMs are best served by the Rx, but apart from that, I'm not sure what to say other than this thing is pretty damn good. The volume control (when used with weak line-level sources such as iPods) is great for IEMs and the crisp midrange sounds wonderful.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #70 of 202
By the way, the International has passed the Sleek Audio CT7 test with colours. CT7 is a VERY sensitive earphone. Still, noise is low, balance is good at lowest usable volume level and there is more than one hour (on the pot) of tuning space before the earphones become too loud. This is on LOW gain.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #71 of 202
It seems to be a bit unfair to compare this amp to the Rx MK3 because of the price difference.

This looks very nice, even though I don't really need portable, it seems very tempting as an upgrade from my Ibasso D7, even though something desktop sized might offer better performance for the $.

It looks current limited in balanced mode with low impedance cans BTW.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #72 of 202
It performs similarly to The National with low Ω earphones, but has a much lower noise floor. In fact, its noise floor is almost Vorzuge level. It betters IEM-specific amps from hippo and GoVibe in terms of black backgrounds. Lots of power (same as The National) for full sized headphones and the DAC works great with iOS iPad and iOS5 iPhone/iPod touch.

Feb 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #73 of 202
Quote:
It performs similarly to The National with low Ω earphones, but has a much lower noise floor. In fact, its noise floor is almost Vorzuge level. It betters IEM-specific amps from hippo and GoVibe in terms of black backgrounds. Lots of power (same as The National) for full sized headphones and the DAC works great with iOS iPad and iOS5 iPhone/iPod touch.

Hi shigzeo
For the iPhone5, will it has to be jail-broken?

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #74 of 202
All iOS5 devices seem to work with The International's USB output. iPad units do not have to be jailbreaked. iPhone and iPod touch units do. However, iPhone 5, and all non-iPad devices updated to iOS6 seem to not work with BigBoss Camera Connector app and consequently, the Camera Connector accessory shows up as "Device is not supported by this [iDevice name]". However, you can access analogue line outputs of your iOS6 devices easily with a lightning to 30 pin connector. I've not tried lightning -> 30 pin -> 30 pin camera connector yet. 

It's just iOS 6 that doesn't seem to recognise camera connector accessory via iPod touch and iPhone. Again, that is only digital out. Analogue works flawlessly.

NOTE: The International isn't designed for iOS or smartphone devices specifically. It is a plug and play USB DAC. That's it. But, since its DAC draws its power from the internal battery and not from USB, it works without hassle with all pre-iOS 6 iDevices (30 pin iPod touch and iPhone) plus iPad and iPad mini of any generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back