ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International"
Jan 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #17 of 202
Quote:

Yes Shigzeo, do tell! On the page it doesn't say anything about iDevice support. Is this a properly Apple supported device (i.e. supporting iAP)? I didn't think this supported Apple products.

Well, it's not a DAC like the CLAS is for ALL iDevice products. Rather, its USB DAC works with jailbreaked products (at least) and 30 pin iPads at the very least. I just need to find a lightning to mini usb cable and I'll tell you. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 202
Very interested in seeing how this stacks up against the rsa Intruder...

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #22 of 202
Got a reply from ALO about iDevice support. They're not officially support iDevice. With USB camera adaptor on ipad, you can get digital out but it's probably won't work on iphone or ipod unless jailbreak. Right now, I'm leaning toward HiFi-M8 (M8 is probably 100$ more than the international).

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #25 of 202
looking forward to the comparison betweeen this and the glacier.no 3.5mm headphone jack tho.....

I second that as i just ordered a glacier for my s3 and then stumbled upon this thread thinking i pulled the trigger too early?

What Cirrus chip does the Apex Glacier use?

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #27 of 202
How about the 30-pin to USB cable that came with the CLAS-dB? Would it work with the International?

Could try but I'm going to guess you're going to get the "too much power required" with a stock iPad. Even with a JB iPad, you'll need the Cydia Camera Connector app.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #28 of 202
Could try but I'm going to guess you're going to get the "too much power required" with a stock iPad. Even with a JB iPad, you'll need the Cydia Camera Connector app.

Well we'll have to use another DAP then xD

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #29 of 202
With iPad you don't need to jailbreak. You also don't need extra power.

iPod touch has enough juice if you go from camera connector and are jailbreaked.

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #30 of 202
Quote:
With iPad you don't need to jailbreak. You also don't need extra power.

iPod touch has enough juice if you go from camera connector and are jailbreaked.

Is that a general statement about USB DACs or specifically about the International? I can say that if you're on iOS 4.2 and above and you want to use a USB DAC via the CCK, you'll at minimum will need the jailbreak and the Cydia camera connector driver and even that's not guaranteed to work with all USB DACs.

With the International, I don't know as I don't own one. But since it's been explained it's not an Apple supported device, I'm therefore treating it as a standard USB DAC. If this is not the case with the International, how is this USB DAC different from other USB DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back