All things ZMF!
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #31 of 63
Awesome setup! And that Atrium.... so amazing looking. I'd be curious to know how well the Oor compares to the Decware. I cannot find a solid state amp that truly satisfies, but quite a few ZMF owners have raved about the Oor for theirs. If you just had one amp, would it be tube or solid state for the Atrium?
Honestly, I have to say that Oor and Decware are more complementary. As with any SS vs Tube discussion, it comes down to what you enjoy in a sound signature. Atrium is really capable of capturing the detail that the Oor can give. Oor is a fairly neutral amp, yet it's presentation maintains a natural tonality (especially with Hypsos) while still delivering a lot of detail. The Decware with the Atrium is a beautiful match; dynamic, wonderfully textured bass, and buttery smooth mids with just enough sparkle in the treble. Honestly, one amp for the Atrium, it would be the Decware, although the Oor is what you would want for some of your other headphones, especially the Susvara. IMO

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #32 of 63
Honestly, I have to say that Oor and Decware are more complementary. As with any SS vs Tube discussion, it comes down to what you enjoy in a sound signature. Atrium is really capable of capturing the detail that the Oor can give. Oor is a fairly neutral amp, yet it's presentation maintains a natural tonality (especially with Hypsos) while still delivering a lot of detail. The Decware with the Atrium is a beautiful match; dynamic, wonderfully textured bass, and buttery smooth mids with just enough sparkle in the treble. Honestly, one amp for the Atrium, it would be the Decware, although the Oor is what you would want for some of your other headphones, especially the Susvara. IMO
Excellent comparison, thanks! I am looking for a compliment to my tube gear, but without going full neutral. I find most solid state to sound too clean and sterile for my tastes, but that's because i've now spent years on tubes with little solid state listening. I'm hoping to find a nice solid state that give you that nice controlled solid state response but with a touch of warmth to it. Not so neutral and squeaky clean, if that makes sense. Or i might have to face the fact that i just lost my taste for solid state haha. I'm still hopeful I can find something satisfying out there, and the Oor has been on the top of my to try list with the Homage.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 63
Excellent comparison, thanks! I am looking for a compliment to my tube gear, but without going full neutral. I find most solid state to sound too clean and sterile for my tastes, but that's because i've now spent years on tubes with little solid state listening. I'm hoping to find a nice solid state that give you that nice controlled solid state response but with a touch of warmth to it. Not so neutral and squeaky clean, if that makes sense. Or i might have to face the fact that i just lost my taste for solid state haha. I'm still hopeful I can find something satisfying out there, and the Oor has been on the top of my to try list with the Homage.
I'm sure you've seen them recommended numerous times before across the various ZMF threads but with that criteria the Violectric 2XX series seems like a good contender (202/222/226 or 281).

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #34 of 63
Hey there! Thanks for the quick service in shipping my Decware OTL. I'm floored by how it plays with the Atrium!

Decware OTL 2.jpg

I dig your guitar playing statue.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #35 of 63
I'm sure you've seen them recommended numerous times before across the various ZMF threads but with that criteria the Violectric 2XX series seems like a good contender (202/222/226 or 281).
I need to revisit the 200 series again. I had a V280 with my Atticus but struggled with it compared to my Bottlehead at the time. It sounded a bit dull and overdampened. But that was ages ago now, and my gear and ears have evolved significantly since then. I wouldn't mind snagging a used V200 on the cheap if I can find one.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:48 AM Post #36 of 63
How well do the Caldera EQ? I loved them at CanJam but would definitely want to add more power and slam to the bass. Do they eq as well as the LCDX?

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #37 of 63
How well do the Caldera EQ? I loved them at CanJam but would definitely want to add more power and slam to the bass. Do they eq as well as the LCDX?
They take EQ like a champ - I add a small sub-bass bump but pushed it when messing around and no issues.

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #38 of 63
They take EQ like a champ - I add a small sub-bass bump but pushed it when messing around and no issues.

I was assuming so, great to hear! I'll be buying ZMF gift cards in chunks over the next year until I can afford the Caldera as my end-game full size cans! First chunk will be most of what I sell the Meze 109pro shortly when I list them!

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #39 of 63
Would be quite interested in seeing people's rankings of their all-time favourite ZMFs. I've only had experience with the VC (extensive, long-term owner) and Atrium Open (tried a couple of times in store), but definitely keen to try more in due course.

In particular, I wonder which ZMF can people rate the highest for timbre?

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #40 of 63
Would be quite interested in seeing people's rankings of their all-time favourite ZMFs. I've only had experience with the VC (extensive, long-term owner) and Atrium Open (tried a couple of times in store), but definitely keen to try more in due course.

The best ZMF is the one you’re wearing.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #41 of 63
The best ZMF is the one you’re wearing.
Sounds about right.

Very keen to try more ZMFs but tbh the VC ticks so many boxes for me I don't see the need to swap it out really!

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #42 of 63
Sounds about right.

Very keen to try more ZMFs but tbh the VC ticks so many boxes for me I don't see the need to swap it out really!
Recommend trying the Caldera Closed if you prefer closed backs and want to add a planar to compliment the dynamic. ZMF will likely take some to the London CanJam.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #43 of 63
I need to revisit the 200 series again. I had a V280 with my Atticus but struggled with it compared to my Bottlehead at the time. It sounded a bit dull and overdampened. But that was ages ago now, and my gear and ears have evolved significantly since then. I wouldn't mind snagging a used V200 on the cheap if I can find one.
I have yet to acquire my first ZMF, but would recommend the V222 for a tryout. I currently have a few Vs at home and (so far) found this one the most punchy - and great value for money.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #44 of 63
Sounds about right.

I have heard the entire lineup, except for the CC and BO, and the VC's are still my favorite. That being said, I love them all.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #45 of 63

I don't have a good ear, I'm not a musician, and it's been entirely too long since I've heard acoustic instruments live, but I'd rank the ZMFs I've heard like this (all with some pad rolling but typically with the stock ones, from an Yggy A2 and DNA Stratus chain unless otherwise noted):
  1. Caldera: the most tonally convincing and realistic of the lineup. (Auditioned in my home system for 5 days)
  2. Auteur Classic: less resolving and not as good at textures as the Caldera, but this headphone's arguably the most neutral of the lineup and sounded glorious (to me) and likewise highly convincing. Nothing sounded off from it. (Again, auditioned in my own chain at home for 5 days)
  3. Atrium open: the emphasis in the upper-mids/lower treble made certain vocals and instruments sound overly forward in that region (e.g. the piano). I find that emphasis a bit bright and wince-inducing, so I use the solid mesh which makes for a noticeably darker tuning. Even with this darker tonality, lots of instruments sound compelling, if not entirely correct, and electric guitars and electric basses in particular sound great, as do brass and string instruments. (I own a pair).
  4. Vérité Open: this is the least convincing of the ZMF lineup I've mentioned so far because of the laidback tuning, which means that vocals and some instruments can sound a bit recessed in the upper parts of the midrange. With that said, it's a great headphone for jazz; double basses sound great (nicely woody and properly hollow), trumpets can be a bit piercing, but that's as they should be, and alto saxes are good, too. (I owned a pair for a few years).
  5. Aeolus: I've only heard them briefly at CanJam and they're not to my taste, being overly warm and lacking treble air and extension, which made them sound off to me. But my prejudices here mean you should see what others have to say about the Aeolus. I suspect they're great rock headphones.
Sorry, I've not heard any of the others! I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back