All things ZMF!
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 63
Seems like an okay place to post, but starting to track what my next headphone target will be, and ZMF is top of the list… what would be an upgrade from the LCD-2C if I am looking for a similar tone, but more clarity?

Based on how you like HD660S and Letshuoer s12, and also based on how I quite lke LCD-2C as well, I think ZMF Verite will give you good time.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 63
Here's The Headphone Show's year-end review of LOTS of headphones. ZMFs are covered starting at 1:40:00.
Spoiler alert - after lots of B, C and D rated headphones, the ZMFs score very well! (Of course, we knew they would!)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #18 of 63
General Question - what has been your experience on burn in for the ZMF Atrium Closed? Just received mine today.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 63
General Question - what has been your experience on burn in for the ZMF Atrium Closed? Just received mine today.
I felt like they changed quite a bit during the first 100 hours. I noticed very strong, almost overpowering bass with the stock Lambskin Caldera Thin pads at first. I changed to Bokeh Suede pads at first, then went back to stock pads after 50-75 hours of use and found the bass more balanced. Now I can switch between the stock, Caldera Suede, Auteur Suede Solid, or Bokeh Suede pads and like them all. I am currently sticking with the Caldera Suedes as I find them the most balanced for all types of music. It's still fun to switch to the stock pads from time to time though!

All that to say, I feel like burn-in is either pretty drastic on these drivers or my brain just took a while to process the level of bass they put out.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #20 of 63
I felt like they changed quite a bit during the first 100 hours. I noticed very strong, almost overpowering bass with the stock Lambskin Caldera Thin pads at first. I changed to Bokeh Suede pads at first, then went back to stock pads after 50-75 hours of use and found the bass more balanced. Now I can switch between the stock, Caldera Suede, Auteur Suede Solid, or Bokeh Suede pads and like them all. I am currently sticking with the Caldera Suedes as I find them the most balanced for all types of music. It's still fun to switch to the stock pads from time to time though!

All that to say, I feel like burn-in is either pretty drastic on these drivers or my brain just took a while to process the level of bass they put out.
I am starting out with the Caldera Suede pads as that seems to be more frequently recommended to start.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #21 of 63
I am starting out with the Caldera Suede pads as that seems to be more frequently recommended to start.
That's a good idea. I don't think you can go wrong with the Caldera Suede pads on the AC.

Jan 31, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 63
I listened to my ZMF Atrium Closed under 30 min when I first received it in Dec. I found the bass to be as overpowering as others have mentioned. I kept myself from getting discouraged knowing that everybody has said they need a long burn in. I connected them to my Schiit Asgard 3 & a Sony blu-ray player and played various music on repeat for approximately 168 hrs. I set up in a basement workout room and had the volume on Asgard 3 about 1-2 o'clock range. I rotated between a SACD of Beethoven's 9th, a miscellaneous Metal compilation CD and the Transatlantic-The Final Flight blu-ray concert. I listened very little, probably less than 15 min, until the end of the 7 burn in days. I personally didn't care about the changes along the way, just the outcome.

The ACs are just what I was hoping for regarding the bass response and overall music presentation at the end of the burn in time. I tried to rule out "getting used to them" while listening and went for the big bang after burn in. At some point I'll try the Caldera Suede pads to check out how that changes the presentation, but that is quite a few months out since I want to really get to know the stock sound (I have the natural cherry wood & ZMF OFC cable.)

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #23 of 63
I listened to my ZMF Atrium Closed under 30 min when I first received it in Dec. I found the bass to be as overpowering as others have mentioned. I kept myself from getting discouraged knowing that everybody has said they need a long burn in. I connected them to my Schiit Asgard 3 & a Sony blu-ray player and played various music on repeat for approximately 168 hrs. I set up in a basement workout room and had the volume on Asgard 3 about 1-2 o'clock range. I rotated between a SACD of Beethoven's 9th, a miscellaneous Metal compilation CD and the Transatlantic-The Final Flight blu-ray concert. I listened very little, probably less than 15 min, until the end of the 7 burn in days. I personally didn't care about the changes along the way, just the outcome.

The ACs are just what I was hoping for regarding the bass response and overall music presentation at the end of the burn in time. I tried to rule out "getting used to them" while listening and went for the big bang after burn in. At some point I'll try the Caldera Suede pads to check out how that changes the presentation, but that is quite a few months out since I want to really get to know the stock sound (I have the natural cherry wood & ZMF OFC cable.)
That’s very helpful info. I’m glad you also noticed the bass becoming less overpowering after burn-in. I switched pads quite a bit within the first 100 hours, so that made it difficult to decide what was actually burn-in and what was just me acclimating to the sound.

I’d never have the self control to wait that long to listen to a new set of headphones like you did. Your experience does reassure me that I’m not crazy, and the bass truly did become more balanced over time.

Feb 16, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #24 of 63
I would like opinions on your favorite ZMF headphone for classical music and why.
I'm thinking about getting back into tube amplification for this so if you have an amplifier recommendation along with the ZMF headphone, that would be fantastic.
Thank you.
I can highly recommend the Verite C's if closed-back is an option. They have a very pleasing, warm (but not muddy) sound that is my go-to for analogue/tube (Woo Audio WA33) listening. They have a reasonably wide soundstage for closed-backs. I also have used Focal Stellia's and Abyss 1266 Phi TC's , primarily for Rock and "serious" hi-res listening, respectively, but the ZMF's are my favorite laid-back, relaxed listening choice.

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #25 of 63
I would like opinions on your favorite ZMF headphone for classical music and why.
I'm thinking about getting back into tube amplification for this so if you have an amplifier recommendation along with the ZMF headphone, that would be fantastic.
Thank you.
I mostly listen to Classical Music and love my Atrium Closed along with my Decware Tube Amp (not the one from the ZMF site but purchased directly through Declare - the older Taboo MKIII). The soundstage is wide and the instruments are very crisp and distinguishable. There is something very warm and ethereal about listening via a Tube Amp. For my taste, I have solid state Amps but they do not compare to the Tube Amps.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 63
Anyone had a chance to try the new Grand Palladium cables yet (Standard or Silver)?
Hey, fellow ZMFer's - per this post, I did go ahead and purchase the Grand Palladium Silver cable for my Verite C's. Absolutely LOVE it, but one small problem - turns out I scrimped on the length for my setup (4.5 ft). I've tried improvising, but I've finally gotten to the point where I just want to pull the trigger and pay for the 6 ft length. So, I will be selling this 4.5 ft cable, but before I put up a Classified ad, thought I'd give anyone here a chance that would like to nab a like-new, 10/10 condition, GP at a great deal. (ZMF Tiny XLR/4-Pin XLR/Coffee Color Connector/No Sheathing) Current list is $499 - I will consider reasonable offers and throw in shipping for free (and of course, no sales tax). Please send me a direct message if you have a serious interest, I'll give this about 2 weeks before I start posting to the Classifieds.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #27 of 63
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 1, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #28 of 63
Does anyone have experience with the Verite Open, Verite Closed, Atrium Open, and Atrium Closed?

I have a pair or Auteurs (the original version) which I finally fell in love with when combined with my first-ever tube amp (a Schiit Folkvangr I recently picked up).

I had a chance to hear the Verite Closed recently combined with the Sparkos Gemini Tube Hybrid amp and I was super impressed by how punchy and detailed it was. I’d always worried the upper midrange dip on it would make it sound dull, but that wasn’t the case at all, they sounded exciting and dynamic.

I’m not in love with the current VC wood option, but that Atrium Closed cocobolo is absolutely gorgeous, as is the Atrium Open zebra wood option.

Do the closed versions of both the Atroum and Verite have a more punchy sound and more/deeper bass, or do the open versions keep up?

What are the big differences between Verite sound and Atrium sound?

For anyone who’s heard both, is the Atrium Open significantly different or a noticeable upgrade over the Auteur OG?

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #29 of 63
Hey all - don't know how I missed this thread! Any questions ofcourse ask away. I am also doing a Seminar about "How to Start a headphone business" at CanJam coming up, I'll try to at least drop the slides, or an accompanying video or something in here.

Here's a thread also on the LTD releases and other stuff this spring: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf...ule-for-caldera-closed-and-bokeh-open.971900/
Hey there! Thanks for the quick service in shipping my Decware OTL. I'm floored by how it plays with the Atrium!

Decware OTL 2.jpg

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #30 of 63
Hey there! Thanks for the quick service in shipping my Decware OTL. I'm floored by how it plays with the Atrium!

Decware OTL 2.jpg
Awesome setup! And that Atrium.... so amazing looking. I'd be curious to know how well the Oor compares to the Decware. I cannot find a solid state amp that truly satisfies, but quite a few ZMF owners have raved about the Oor for theirs. If you just had one amp, would it be tube or solid state for the Atrium?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back