All things Metrum Acoustics
May 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #301 of 1,451
I find the Onyx to sound "restrained", more mid focused with lesser top and bottom extension and impact. I am not sure if it's a matter of it not being resolving enough or that is the sound characteristics of the Onyx.

I listen to live music most of the time, and the difference becomes more evident.

What material did you listen to when you arrived at this conclusion? Compressed, CD/redbook, or hi-res, if hi-res what sampling rate and bit depth?

May 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #302 of 1,451
I owned an Onyx before the Adagio and that wasn't my finding. All Metrum DACs are as neutral as neutral can be; there is no colour or restrained sound. If that's what you think you're hearing then the DAC isn't responsible.
I agree that onyx/pavane have neutral sound signature. I have tried both and kept pavane. It also depends upon the downstream components which may alter/color the signal. One should have a dead neutral amp to really hear what NOS DACs are capable of.
Lack of treble extension is a common misinterpretation with NOS DACs. Listen to an instrument without any mic.. close by ... then compare it on a OS & NOS DAC ... Difference is so obvious ..
(Btw i sold my hugo2 after listening to onyx)

May 6, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #304 of 1,451
I found the L1 Pavane to be somewhat colored. The punchy fat low end and forward mids is a tell tale. It is not overdone and pleasant, so I guess it can be a good thing. Interestingly the Musette is more neutral but also less resolving. No experience with the Onyx or other Metrum DACs that use the latest modules, if I were to guess the new modules should be more transparent as it is easier to match 2 ladders on a single module during manufacturing than to use 2 separate modules and external FPGA and then match them by hand when a board is assembled.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #305 of 1,451
I'm expecting a DAVE in a short while, which will be overlapping with my Pavane L3 in my system for some time, so I'll plan to post something when I have an opinion formed about how the two compare with regards to tonality and the rest.

May 6, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #306 of 1,451
I'm expecting a DAVE in a short while, which will be overlapping with my Pavane L3 in my system for some time, so I'll plan to post something when I have an opinion formed about how the two compare with regards to tonality and the rest.

The DAVE remains the single DAC that I like the most. I always pop by my local audio shop to listen to it, hoping that one day I could bring it back with me.

May 6, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #307 of 1,451
I had compared hmsDave vs Ambre/Pavane. It comes to sound preference at the end and price as well.
Both stood their ground. I went for NOS sound which i felt was more natural, realistic and transients were better reproduced. Btw hms is a must for Dave imho coz it really helps the dave in taming the digital sound signature. YMMV
I had tried these setup with susvara, abbys phi, ADX5000, Headtrip, v281, lumin U1 etc.
20190223_140744.jpg

At my friend's place.

May 6, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #308 of 1,451
I love the Pavane and don't find it lacking in any areas. The audiophile nerds who have listened to my setup for any length of time have also had nothing but favorable impressions.

I've only listened to the DAVE briefly, but found it very compelling, so figured I'd give it a try for fun. Also, my ears may be ready for a change of pace. Knowing myself, I'll need an extended period to understand what I like about each in relation to each other (more than just a week or two), and I know I'll have a blast through the course of the process.

The only outcome which I'll find to be unacceptable after having them both in my system for a little while is if I feel like I need to keep them both!

May 6, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #309 of 1,451
I find the Onyx to sound "restrained", more mid focused with lesser top and bottom extension and impact. I am not sure if it's a matter of it not being resolving enough or that is the sound characteristics of the Onyx.

I listen to live music most of the time, and the difference becomes more evident.

If I understood your impressions correctly, I think the Onyx rolls off treble, so that it does not carry enough spatial information which is noticeable in live music.
Also, the Onyx rolls off sub bass, so bass does not thumb as much as mimby.

May 6, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #310 of 1,451
I had compared hmsDave vs Ambre/Pavane. It comes to sound preference at the end and price as well.
Both stood their ground. I went for NOS sound which i felt was more natural, realistic and transients were better reproduced. Btw hms is a must for Dave imho coz it really helps the dave in taming the digital sound signature. YMMV
I had tried these setup with susvara, abbys phi, ADX5000, Headtrip, v281, lumin U1 etc.

At my friend's place.

Have you guys tried the M-Scaler into the Pavane?

May 7, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #311 of 1,451
Have you guys tried the M-Scaler into the Pavane?
We tried connecting single BNC(from mscaler) to Pavane but there was no sound output though.

May 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #313 of 1,451
If I understood your impressions correctly, I think the Onyx rolls off treble, so that it does not carry enough spatial information which is noticeable in live music.
Also, the Onyx rolls off sub bass, so bass does not thumb as much as mimby.

I believe that the sonic differences are not caused by roll-off but rather by how different companies tune their DACs.
E.g. my Mimby hits harder and seems to have more air than any of my OS D/S DACs.

May 8, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #314 of 1,451
Well, my Pavanne has been delayed due to 'facility issues.' Not sure what that means but they did respond promptly.

May 10, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #315 of 1,451
Do a charge back if you used a credit card or if paypal, start a dispute. I guarantee you they will respond.

Thank you @cj3209 for your timely and brilliant suggestion that I was able to a PayPal dispute before it was too late, and I eventually got my money back from PayPal.

Now, the unacceptable part:

Metrum Acoustics had finally replied, after I have started the PayPal dispute and wrote them the "ultimatum" (which I have shared earlier on this thread), with a short line saying that "later this week we do the refund".

At first I was excited of the prospect of an amicable closure, only to realize that the "later the week" time-frame coincided with the deadline PayPal had given Metrum Acoustics to sort it out. The fact that Metrum Acoustics did nothing implied that they had intended to wait it out to see if my dispute case would fail.

So, it has become clear to me that right from the onset, Metrum Acoustics had orchestrated the return of the product without the intention to refund the money.

Thank goodness for PayPal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back