All things Metrum Acoustics
May 12, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #332 of 1,451
I will keep an eye on it :)

Cees: I also hate to see you go, as CEO. My first ever Metrum purchase was a hex, which I bought second hand from another Head-fier. However, after three years of use, it was still strong and sturdy enough to be traded up against an Onyx, with a credit of $1300 (ironically, that is even more than I paid for the Hex to the previous owner who had taken excellent care of it). Now that is what I call a well-engineered, and durable piece of equipment, and thanks for your contributions in giving us that wonderful product.

Currently I have the Onyx, along with an Ambre which I purchased less than a year ago. The Onyx is working normally and beautifully as expected. The Ambre too was working well, and had quickly become my favorite internet streaming Roon endpoint, until last month, when it stopped showing up in Roon (or I should say, when Roon stopped recognizing it). It powers up normally, and the green internet Lan LED lights up on it. But the green Music Led indicator does not light up as expected, and the blue "On" light flashes endlessly as if it is stuck in permanent search mode.

I reported the problem toward the end of last month to Metrum customer service, and to my relief, Anjo de Heus immediately responded with this reassuring message:

From Anjo De Heus
To Patrick ....
Cc Sunder Palanivel, Maria Eleftheriadou
Date 2019-04-26 20:55

Attachments
Message Body

Hi Patrick

how are you doing? As for the Ambre, this is a typical update issue. There has been a change in Roon, causing the Ambre not to update immediately. Both Sunder and Maria do have a little explaination on how to resolve. I am pinging them so you can continue to enjoy your ambre!

Kindest Regards

Anjo De Heus
CEO

Unfortunately the follow-up from either Maria and Sunder was not coming, and this is where things started to get a little weird. After waiting a few days without hearing a word from them, I sent a reminder, at which point Sunder responded with the following question to which I responded in the affirmative:

From Sunder Palanivel
To Patrick .....
Cc Anjo De Heus, Metrum Acoustics
Date 2019-04-30 03:11

Message Body

Hello Patrick,

Does the computer to which the ambre is connected has internet connection ?

Thanks
Sunder

Sadly, I regret to say I have not heard from either Sunder, Anjo, or Maria again, since that last question of April 30th from Sunder, and my Ambre is still no longer seen nor recognized by Roon, although it powers on normally. I sent them another reminder of my problem yesterday, but I have not received any response.

I have to say that I was expecting this to be resolved very quietly in private, since it appears to be a minor technical issue, with which Metrum is familiar, according to Anjo's response. However, it is the combination of the strange and inexplicable "radio silence" of Anjo, Maria, and Sunder, as well as the announcement you have just made that you're no longer with Metrum that have got me a little troubled, and made me decide to air this piece of "minor dirty laundry" (as I still see it) here on this forum.

I am happy and relieved you have joined us here, but I am also a little sad to be the first to ask you to help with finding a solution to an existing problem. Still, I'd really appreciate your help in resolving this issue, if it isn't too much trouble.

I really want my Ambre back working properly again, and shall do whatever Anjo, Sunder, and Maria want me to do with it, including even shipping it back to Metrum, if that is required, although I do not expect it to come to that. I presume shipping it back won't be required if we're indeed only faced with some kind of software or firmware update problem.

Thanks for you kind offer to help.

May 13, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #333 of 1,451
Cees: I also hate to see you go, as CEO. My first ever Metrum purchase was a hex, which I bought second hand from another Head-fier. However, after three years of use, it was still strong and sturdy enough to be traded up against an Onyx, with a credit of $1300 (ironically, that is even more than I paid for the Hex to the previous owner who had taken excellent care of it). Now that is what I call a well-engineered, and durable piece of equipment, and thanks for your contributions in giving us that wonderful product.

Currently I have the Onyx, along with an Ambre which I purchased less than a year ago. The Onyx is working normally and beautifully as expected. The Ambre too was working well, and had quickly become my favorite internet streaming Roon endpoint, until last month, when it stopped showing up in Roon (or I should say, when Roon stopped recognizing it). It powers up normally, and the green internet Lan LED lights up on it. But the green Music Led indicator does not light up as expected, and the blue "On" light flashes endlessly as if it is stuck in permanent search mode.

I reported the problem toward the end of last month to Metrum customer service, and to my relief, Anjo de Heus immediately responded with this reassuring message:

From Anjo De Heus
To Patrick ....

Attachments
Message Body

Hi Patrick

how are you doing? As for the Ambre, this is a typical update issue. There has been a change in Roon, causing the Ambre not to update immediately. Both Sunder and Maria do have a little explaination on how to resolve. I am pinging them so you can continue to enjoy your ambre!

Kindest Regards

Anjo De Heus
CEO

Unfortunately the follow-up from either Maria and Sunder was not coming, and this is where things started to get a little weird. After waiting a few days without hearing a word from them, I sent a reminder, at which point Sunder responded with the following question to which I responded in the affirmative:

From Sunder Palanivel
To Patrick .....

Message Body

Hello Patrick,

Thanks
Sunder

Sadly, I regret to say I have not heard from either Sunder, Anjo, or Maria again, since that last question of April 30th from Sunder, and my Ambre is still no longer seen nor recognized by Roon, although it powers on normally. I sent them another reminder of my problem yesterday, but I have not received any response.

I have to say that I was expecting this to be resolved very quietly in private, since it appears to be a minor technical issue, with which Metrum is familiar, according to Anjo's response. However, it is the combination of the strange and inexplicable "radio silence" of Anjo, Maria, and Sunder, as well as the announcement you have just made that you're no longer with Metrum that have got me a little troubled, and made me decide to air this piece of "minor dirty laundry" (as I still see it) here on this forum.

I am happy and relieved you have joined us here, but I am also a little sad to be the first to ask you to help with finding a solution to an existing problem. Still, I'd really appreciate your help in resolving this issue, if it isn't too much trouble.

I really want my Ambre back working properly again, and shall do whatever Anjo, Sunder, and Maria want me to do with it, including even shipping it back to Metrum, if that is required, although I do not expect it to come to that. I presume shipping it back won't be required if we're indeed only faced with some kind of software or firmware update problem.

Hi Patrick

This is a very sad story but hopefully easy to solve. All what we have to arrange is to send you a new SD card. Please use the following email address for sending me your address details: info@acelec.nl Next I will inform the production facility (which is another company) so they can ship this card directly to you. All what you have to do is removing the cover and put the new card in. When starting up you have to wait until the flashing light is steady. Never switch it off during flashing as it can damage your new card.

May 13, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #334 of 1,451
Hi Patrick

This is a very sad story but hopefully easy to solve. All what we have to arrange is to send you a new SD card. Please use the following email address for sending me your address details: info@acelec.nl Next I will inform the production facility (which is another company) so they can ship this card directly to you. All what you have to do is removing the cover and put the new card in. When starting up you have to wait until the flashing light is steady. Never switch it off during flashing as it can damage your new card.
Cees: you ROCK!
:)

Can't wait to receive my Pavane.

:L3000::L3000::L3000:

May 13, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #335 of 1,451
Hi Patrick

Dear Cees:

This is a fantastic favor you're doing me, and I don't know how to start expressing my gratitude. I have sent my shipping and contact information to the e-mail address you have indicated, and shall look forward to receiving the SD card. If there are any further related questions, kindly let me know.

Your assistance is highly appreciated, although this must sound like the understatement of the year.

May 13, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #336 of 1,451
Dear Cees:

This is a fantastic favor you're doing me, and I don't know how to start expressing my gratitude. I have sent my shipping and contact information to the e-mail address you have indicated, and shall look forward to receiving the SD card. If there are any further related questions, kindly let me know.

Your assistance is highly appreciated, although this must sound like the understatement of the year.
Hi Patrick
The order for the SD card is already sent to the factory :)

May 13, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #338 of 1,451

From Anjo De Heus
To Patrick ....

Attachments
Message Body

Hi Patrick

Kindest Regards

Anjo De Heus
CEO

From Sunder Palanivel
To Patrick .....

Message Body

Hello Patrick,

Thanks
Sunder

Hello sahmen
I have changed my microsd card on amber.
I have flashed the microsd card with picoreplayer. On my imac i have installed logitech media server.
Now , i can use streaming service without roon. I can play locally stored files as well.
It sounds better than ropieee which is installed on stock card.

Check out this website for latest changes in firmware and mods on amber.
http://patatorz.com/

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #339 of 1,451
Hello sahmen
I have changed my microsd card on amber.
I have flashed the microsd card with picoreplayer. On my imac i have installed logitech media server.
Now , i can use streaming service without roon. I can play locally stored files as well.
It sounds better than ropieee which is installed on stock card.

Check out this website for latest changes in firmware and mods on amber.
http://patatorz.com/

Cool tips. Please check your PM.
Hi Patrick
The order for the SD card is already sent to the factory :)
Fantastic. Thanks.:)

May 19, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #340 of 1,451
Guys who all dealers here in US. Looking to get Onyx

May 19, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #341 of 1,451
I may be putting my excellent Onyx up for sale in the next week or two, so keep an eye out for it on US Audiomart. I’m 1mark there and on Audiogon.

It’s a year old, and I am the orig owner; excellent condition, works perfectly. Still deciding whether to hold on to it or not. It truly is an excellent DAC, but since I recently went with a class A SS amp, I have an itch to try a tubed DAC, which I’ve not had before. Decisions, decisions!!

May 19, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #342 of 1,451
I have my endgame system now with Ambre-Pavane to V281 and Abyss AB1266 Phi CC/Audeze i4. Any additional increase in sound quality has reached the point where it's not worth it for me to upgrade or it will cost me more $$ for slight improvements. I'm out of any future audio purchases.

Now, back to the music...

May 20, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #343 of 1,451
I have my endgame system now with Ambre-Pavane to V281 and Abyss AB1266 Phi CC/Audeze i4. Any additional increase in sound quality has reached the point where it's not worth it for me to upgrade or it will cost me more $$ for slight improvements. I'm out of any future audio purchases.

Now, back to the music...

Hello cj3209
How is pavane/amber?
Which connection are you using...AES/i2S??..

May 20, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #344 of 1,451
Hello cj3209
How is pavane/amber?
Which connection are you using...AES/i2S??..
Hello @lithiumnk: I always appreciate your informative posts and especially about your setup which led to my current system and I think our ears are similar.

I have the Ambre connected to the Pavane via AES - later on I may upgrade to IS2 but the current system is so good; it's like a drug...lol. My Pavane isn't even broken in yet but it still sounds wonderful with a black background and that 'you are there' experience. It's insane.

I also purchased the little tube amp: Oriolus BA-300s which I've connected to my SP1000 and V281 and it sounds great too but the Pavane is better still.

Music sounds so good right now and I am thankful for everyone's posts that helped me get to where I am now.

Gratitude.

:smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #345 of 1,451
Hello @lithiumnk: I always appreciate your informative posts and especially about your setup which led to my current system and I think our ears are similar.

I have the Ambre connected to the Pavane via AES - later on I may upgrade to IS2 but the current system is so good; it's like a drug...lol. My Pavane isn't even broken in yet but it still sounds wonderful with a black background and that 'you are there' experience. It's insane.

I also purchased the little tube amp: Oriolus BA-300s which I've connected to my SP1000 and V281 and it sounds great too but the Pavane is better still.

Music sounds so good right now and I am thankful for everyone's posts that helped me get to where I am now.

Gratitude.

:smile_phones:
I am glad you liked it. You will be surprised how much pavane improves after 500-600 hrs.
I have done few mods on Amber and its surprising how much the sound has improved.
I will share after completely analysing the change in sound.

Attachments

• 20190516_135916.jpg
    20190516_135916.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back