ALL OF YOU ARE INSANE
Mar 13, 2008 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

bluegender03

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've lurked on this site for a couple of days and first of all let me tell you that ALL OF YOU ARE INSANE about headphones/amps, spending almost thousands of dollars, and fretting over the tiniest of minute details in sound reproduction. What I love about all of you though is your passion.

So anyways, why headphone amps? I'm searching for some kinda FAQ on them but this site is like a labyrinth to me right now. If someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction. I'd like to learn more about the advantages of using amps with your mp3 players.

God damn it. I already see myself getting hooked and being homeless in the street listening to the Rolling Stones, all thanks to my first pair of Shure headphones, the $100 E2c's. What a difference from stock headphones!

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure whether I should be offended or flattered...

Personally I'm thinking I little of both right about now. I mean.. OK so we like Headphone amps. It's not cuz were nuts. It's cuz the EQ and DACs in the iPods aren't all that hot..

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegender03 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALL OF YOU ARE INSANE about headphones/amps, spending almost thousands of dollars

Not almost...
biggrin.gif

The benefits of an amp with the average mp3 player like an iPod? Cleaner sound, separation, much higher quality bass, and the ability to use a wider variety of headphones.

Have you heard of Patrick82 yet?
biggrin.gif
Oh please, please, search for him...

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 75
Just wait until you've been here awhile. At first, a few hundred is east to swallow. When a couple thousand begins to sound reasonable, you'll know you're in too deep. But this place is a terrific support group.
wink.gif

What kind of amp are you looking for? Just IEMs, or are the full-sized headphones looking interesting yet? If you like the e2cs, just wait until you hear the rest!

Be sure to consider tubes - they sound amazing and they're a lot of fun, too.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

Lol I'm only half serious about the insane part guys. My E2c's were deliciously chewed by my chihuahua
frown.gif
, so I wanna get some new headphones and I'm just doin some research.

Oh, oh, I see. Get the UE11.
wink.gif

Good luck with your search, I hope you never have to be sorry about your wallet.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 75
I don't really know what I want right now. At the moment I am overwhelmed. Open headphones, closed, amps, cables, haha ERS paper (Patrick82). For now I will probably look into in-ear headphones like the E2c's I had (LOL for now...). I found the Buyer's Guide and for the ~$160 price range the E4c's sound promising? I'm gonna look into dozens of other options, but all I want is maybe some info on amps to feed my curiosity. For example, being a novice musician myself, I assume amps can save battery life?

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 75
Ah- the glorious, idealistic newb days...when I still had money. Don't sweat it- your already on your way to being just like us. The endless merry-go-round of matching sources,amps, interconnects, and headphones according to personal taste. Good luck.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #13 of 75
Most I've spent on interconnects was 50 bucks, but hey anythings better than the ones that come with the cd changer HEHE.

Seriously, it is an awesome hobby, not just headphone audio but audiophilia in general!

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

I don't really know what I want right now. At the moment I am overwhelmed. Open headphones, closed, amps, cables, haha ERS paper (Patrick82). For now I will probably look into in-ear headphones like the E2c's I had (LOL for now...). I found the Buyer's Guide and for the ~$160 price range the E4c's sound promising? I'm gonna look into dozens of other options, but all I want is maybe some info on amps to feed my curiosity. For example, being a novice musician myself, I assume amps can save battery life?

I think I would look to the etymotic er4p compared to the e4c at the price range (serious). The only Shure IEM that ever sounded like it was worth the money compared to competitors in its price range was the SE530. Maybe thats more because its in my tastes to get a little quality bass (well, maybe a bit more then a little
smily_headphones1.gif
). But look at the ER4P. Its a stellar value IEM at any account.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

ALL OF YOU ARE INSANE

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When a couple thousand begins to sound reasonable, you'll know you're in too deep.

Once again the great uncle speaketh the truth.
biggrin.gif

cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back