All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Feb 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #76 of 106
Sorry guys for the delay. I was jail breaking my iPhone and iPad Mini. ADL (Alpha Designs Ltd) have a mfi certified lightning cable that works straight from the iPhone 5 etc to a DAC. I took a photo of the brochure page. If you need more info let me know.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #77 of 106
Quote:
Sorry guys for the delay. I was jail breaking my iPhone and iPad Mini. ADL (Alpha Designs Ltd) have a mfi certified lightning cable that works straight from the iPhone 5 etc to a DAC. I took a photo of the brochure page. If you need more info let me know.

Are you sure it will allow digital out to any dac?  Looking at their catalog (http://www.adl-av.com/pdf/adl_catalog.pdf), this just appears to be an Apple approved regular lightning cable; meaning I still wouldn't be able to send digital out to my Leckerton UHA-6 b/c that dac is not a mfi device.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #79 of 106
That is indeed just the ADL version of the standard Lightning cable. I have the 30-pin version. If you have one of the Apple approved DACs with a USB-A socket then all the recent iDevices can be used as digital transports.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #80 of 106
Hey guys!
Might be kinda off topic but i just chopped my stock cable like attached and it works fine.

Due to the authentication chip,i assume it will be difficult to make a lod cable,and would be easier to just get the 30pin converter.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #81 of 106
Does anyone have a picture of how the four wires from the cable connection attach to the Lightning Connector?  I have a connector where the wires pulled loose and would like to try re-soldering them but need to know what order to connect the wires to the connections is.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #83 of 106
Hey guys!
Might be kinda off topic but i just chopped my stock cable like attached and it works fine.

Due to the authentication chip,i assume it will be difficult to make a lod cable,and would be easier to just get the 30pin converter.

Unfortunately there is no way to currently make a Lightning LOD without modifying a lightning plug, and in this case, you end up with the same sized connector as the 30pin LOD.

Here is one i made for personal use, although i don't make them for sale.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #84 of 106
I've seen up on Taobao some DIY Lightning plugs that claim to be an audio line out specific plug.  They're on their way, we'll see if they really are what they say they are.  I'd be amazed if they were, but they insist.

Sep 16, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #85 of 106
The unfortunate thing about any line out with the iPhone5 is that it's not going to be a superstar DAC/output stage that's producing the signal.  The best way to do it is with an external DAC like the CLAS anyway.

May 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #86 of 106
Damn, I read the thing about right angled lightning connectors, got really excited until I noticed toxic was asking $90 for it lol...

Anywhere else I can find this? Just bought the Cayin c6, probably one of the cheapest iDevice compatible dacs. So I'd like to have a connector similar to the L9, but for lightning, obviously.

Basically this:

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #87 of 106
Thanks.  This very useful for a product I am involved in.  As for the power (V+) I would see if it is connected to the one or more of the devices on the PCB.  The lightning connector is essentially two USB interfaces.  the devices on board could be a power switch to and a USB switch to prevent confusion inside the apple device that is driving them, as well as telling the apple device which USB port to drive.  there are extra pins on each 'side' of the Lightning connector that Apple uses as an ID of sort.  I am thinking of purchasing a cable to dis-assemble and reverser engineer myself (my background is electronics hardware design/engineering).  I will let you know what I find.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #88 of 106
New here, so I hope you'll pardon if I break any posting protocols.
I don't know if this helps or not but on a whim I connected my iPhone 5 to an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter, giving it a USB female port. I plugged one of the inexpensive USB 7.1 Sound Card dongles into that and was pleased to see it actually worked, giving a boost to both volume and audio quality (at least as heard through my Sennheiser PX200). Better than the amplification I got through my Fiio Rocky E02i or my Fiio E11. Sucked battery very quickly (about 10% in a half an hour), but appears to be a Lightning Cable DAC solution for under $25, depending on where you shop. Here's some eBay links to the same hardware I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-Lightning-to-USB-Camera-Adapter-MD821ZM-A-For-iPad-And-Mini-New-/111458769386?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_USB_Host_Adapters&hash=item19f375d9ea
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-External-7-1-Channel-3D-Virtual-Audio-Sound-Card-Adapter-PC-Buy-2-Get-1-Free-/400460458738?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item5d3d4daaf2

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #89 of 106
@jmichaelpinc Yup, we call that adaptor the "Camera Connection Kit" or "CCK" for short. Depending on the iDevice, it will at least work with USB DACs that use use some conventional USB audio chipsets (eg: PCM2706/2707) and don't try and draw too much power.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #90 of 106
so are there still no lightning to microusb available??? man.. lightning has been out for so long and no company has tapped into this market?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back