All about the new Apple Lightning cables/plugs...UPDATE: the plot thickens!
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #61 of 106
Is there any aftermarket Lightning -> Micro-USB adapter out there yet?
I'd love to go iPod -> Pico USB DAC/Amp!

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #65 of 106
Quote:
It's better to email me, but prices start at £65.

Nevermind, just figured out that non-MFi devices won't work through lightning...

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #66 of 106
Finally, an inexpensive black one that looks almost stock, and is 4 feet long.

http://www.boxwave.com/usb-lightning-cable-for-apple-devices/bwpd/ccw/?gclid=CISHjbKL_rQCFWaCQgodTTYA0g

For $12.50, seems like a great deal (or a two-pack for $18.95).  I've never purchased from them though, so I cannot personally vouch for the quality.

I'm a little tired of Apple releasing black products and never having black cables or black docks to go with them.

And I won't even get started on what a pile of sh** the iPhone 5 is in at least 50 different ways.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #67 of 106
Quote:

And I won't even get started on what a pile of sh** the iPhone 5 is in at least 50 different ways.

I would never claim that the iPhone 5 is perfect, but then nothing is perfect. The iPhone 5 is still in many(mine included) peoples opinions, the best smartphone on the planet. The rest just have even more problems

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #68 of 106
Quote:
Finally, an inexpensive black one that looks almost stock, and is 4 feet long.

http://www.boxwave.com/usb-lightning-cable-for-apple-devices/bwpd/ccw/?gclid=CISHjbKL_rQCFWaCQgodTTYA0g

For $12.50, seems like a great deal (or a two-pack for $18.95).  I've never purchased from them though, so I cannot personally vouch for the quality.

I'm a little tired of Apple releasing black products and never having black cables or black docks to go with them.

A good bit cheaper than the official Apple one.  Did you end up ordering one?  I keep seeing bad reviews on many of the aftermarket lightning cables that come up so I haven't ordered one yet. 

I also have a black iPhone 5 and wish there were more black accessories for it. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #69 of 106
Quote:

I would never claim that the iPhone 5 is perfect, but then nothing is perfect. The iPhone 5 is still in many(mine included) peoples opinions, the best smartphone on the planet. The rest just have even more problems

My preference would be for an iPhone 4S with an iPhone 5 screen size
wink.gif

Have you guys heard about the rumored iPhone Pro? A 4.5 or 4.7" screen edge2edge, with a 3D camera.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/02/iphone-pro-concept-features-4-5-inch-edge-to-edge-screen-and-dslr-lens-mount/
http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/25/report-claims-ipad-5-with-ipad-mini-like-design-set-for-october-release-offers-new-details-on-upcoming-iphones/

Personally, I haven't committed to the iPhone platform yet, although I finally succumbed to iOS in the form of an iPad for practical reasons. I have an iPhone but am not convinced I need a smartphone, with the internet always in my pocket. I like my Nokia quite a bit, great music player and camera and if I really need to it has wifi. The upcoming phone that does pique my interest in the one from Firefox that's supposedly being beta'd as we speak.

A bit off topic I guess
redface.gif

I guess I won't need a lightning cable anytime soon!

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #70 of 106
Hi all. 
Hope everyone is well.
Brief background: Due to my job and research, I am fully-invested in Mac software on my iMac, iPad, and iPhone (4s).  I will likely upgrade to the iPhone 5 or 6 (I read the 6 will be available in multiple sizes - kinda cool).  The new lightning port has me worried.  My iPad mini uses it, and my next  iPhone will likely use it as well, unless Apple decides to pull another switcharoo on us 
confused_face_2.gif

For a portable setup using either iPad mini or iPhone 5+, will I have to use an external dac in the chain, or should I expect to see adapters that carry analog out directly to an amp?

If iPhone 5+ users will be forced to involve a dac in the chain, or worse, rely on a certified amp/dac combo, affordable  portability will be severely limited.  I have been considering this scenario, rather than simply enjoying a fun amp with some decent cans and an iphone, I would likely need a more expensive certified amp/dac combo that would be best paired with a balanced connection, and then i would need to upgrade to balanced cables, and then my face will do this 
eek.gif
 as I count the $'s in my head.

Thanks in advance for the counsel!

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #71 of 106
I was at the Sound & Vision show at Bristol and came across a lightning cable that allows USB out to a DAC even working with the iPhone 5. I will post more info soon.

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #73 of 106
Quote:
I was at the Sound & Vision show at Bristol and came across a lightning cable that allows USB out to a DAC even working with the iPhone 5. I will post more info soon.

Waiting to hear more!   

Feb 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #74 of 106
I won't upgrade my ipod touch 4th gen to anything lightening until there is at the very least a compact one piece LOD available, but I am really holding out for a lightening to usb host adapter to drive my portable dac/amp directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back