Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
May 22, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #1,396 of 3,117
A colleague of mine has been informing me about every decision making step of his Shure e2c purchase, which has been -- if nothing else -- amusing! I lent him my MS-1s tonight just for a bit of amusement (for me!). He loved them, probably the best sound he's heard. They really are quite good.

May 23, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #1,397 of 3,117
Thanks to you guys, my order of MS-1's should be on their way to me. I have a question, I may have missed it somewhere but, what are the differences (physical or others) between the Alessandro and standard Grado's? I am guessing that they are made by Grado and somehow modified to become the Alessandro line. Any ideas or facts?

May 23, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #1,398 of 3,117
Oh yes I just got my MS-1s today from America and it only took 9 days since my order to arrive to Sydney
biggrin.gif
I am very pleased
smily_headphones1.gif
yay yay!

*edit* Oh no looks like i have to buy a 1/4 to 1/8 converter to test these out T_T damn should of done some more research before buying....

May 23, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #1,399 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to you guys, my order of MS-1's should be on their way to me. I have a question, I may have missed it somewhere but, what are the differences (physical or others) between the Alessandro and standard Grado's? I am guessing that they are made by Grado and somehow modified to become the Alessandro line. Any ideas or facts?

I suspect that the answers to your questions probably lie somewhere within the last seventy pages or so, but since even "I" wouldn't want to wade through all that good stuff, I'll give it a quick shot.

Yup; made by Grado for sure using the same materials as Grado uses for their own phones, but they are tuned to sound like the Alessandro house sound rather than the Grado house sound.

No buttons on Alessandros' though!

Anyway, the main difference is the sound, and from what I gather, the Alessandro sound is very similar between the MS-1,2i and Pro, but that the Grado line gives a greater variety of sounds throughout their range from the iGrado through the GS1k.

May 23, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #1,400 of 3,117
a bit off topic here but I'm just wondering... Will I notice a difference in sound if I use a 1/8" to 1/4" converter? and is there much of a difference between a Grado 1/8" to 1/4" converter to a cheaper $5 one?

May 24, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #1,401 of 3,117
I lived in Indonesia, George told me that it will takes 2-3 weeks for my MS-1 to arrive.

Right now I use Grado SR125, and want to try MS-1 because :
1. i use ipod all the time, and it's not comfortable to use big adapter (1/4 to 1/8)
2. i feel the 125's high too harsh for me

May 24, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #1,402 of 3,117
Mine just arrived today, a mere 8 days after ordering. Wasn't too pleased with having to pay €10 toll for the package, and the foam in the box is dumb, since there's no way to put the phones back in without squashing the cable. But what the heck, the headphones sound great. In fact I'm so pleased with the sound I think I'll just let them burn in as I listen, rather than letting them play overnight. After hearing horror stories about the leakage I was expecting them to be a lot louder than they are, but they are barely audible beyond a meter or two when playing at what I consider a comfortable volume. All in all a pleasant surprise, having them sound so great straight out of the box. Let's hope these things last!

May 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #1,403 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyramjet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hearing horror stories about the leakage I was expecting them to be a lot louder than they are, but they are barely audible beyond a meter or two when playing at what I consider a comfortable volume.

On days when I'd come back angry and put my MS1s on, I could put them on my desk, walk out of the room, close the door and still hear them going.

Yep, hearing loss is in my (near) future.

May 24, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #1,404 of 3,117
So I'm sitting here listening to my MS2i at a comfortable level and I pull them off and look at them about half a meter from my eyes and I can barely hear a thing!

....nice looking cans, though!

May 25, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #1,405 of 3,117
just want to say hi to all MS-1 owners out there.. I've been using mine for the last 1 1/2 months now, and all i can say is I'm very pleased with the sound quality of this headphones..though sometimes i find them bright in some recordings.. but overall iam very happy..

heres some pictures..
smily_headphones1.gif

100_0718.jpg

and my diy headphone setup.
100_0711.jpg

May 25, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #1,406 of 3,117
ah nice setup ferds
smily_headphones1.gif

I just bought a cheapo $4 1/4" - 1/8" converter for the time being until my Grado one arrives and am using a shoddy ass Creative soundblaster live value. Initially I wasn't so surprised but after listening to them properly for ~2hours I can say I'm in love <3 Now all I gotta buy is a new soundcard :]

Could someone link me or guide me on how to do quarter mod to the HD414 pads?

May 27, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #1,407 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone link me or guide me on how to do quarter mod to the HD414 pads?

It's really quite easy.

1. Get the yellow HD414 pads, and take them off the MS1's
2. Put them (with the flat side down on some sort of cutting board so you don't cut into the table and get in trouble :S
3. Get an American quarter and press down real hard on it in the centre of the HD414 pad. Make sure your pressing hard on it, otherwise the cut wont be as good.
4. Get a very sharp knife (Craft-Knife/Stanley-Knife) and cut around the coin nice and hard.

And thats it! If you want, you could try them reversed on your MS1's after the quarter mod. I prefer them like this.

May 27, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #1,408 of 3,117
I took out a little aggression when I modded mine by grabbing a big ol' hammer and appropriate sized socket and wailing away with the pads on a piece of soft wood til the socket punched through!!

..oh yeah; and nice set-up indeed, ferds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back