Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Jan 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #3,046 of 3,117
Just wanted to update this with what I have heard back from Alessandro. The red drivers were temporary and the e series drivers are now silver. So my MS1s do have the e drivers when though they are silver.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #3,047 of 3,117
Just wanted to update this with what I have heard back from Alessandro. The red drivers were temporary and the e series drivers are now silver. So my MS1s do have the e drivers when though they are silver.

Interesting!

If you look at the back of the driver, through the plastic grille, can you see if there are two holes either side of where the cable is soldered in place? I don't mean the little holes in the metal driver plate.  There should be a strip of black felt that goes around the edge of the driver:

On pre-e Grados, this covers 10 holes along the edge of the driver (as shown in the picture). 

On the e-series Grados I've seen so far, the felt is a bit shorter and doesn't cover the two holes nearest the cable.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #3,048 of 3,117
That is really interesting that the red drivers were temporary. It's so confusing to know what you are going to get!

I've been intrigued with Alessandros and have wanted to order a pair for a while now. They seem more mysterious and rare than the regular Grados. I already own the original sr60i and PS500.  I like the sr60 but the PS500's blew them away in every way for me, yet I can't hold back my curiosity to try out the ms1e. Would it still be worth it to spend $110 and try them out?

Feb 6, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #3,049 of 3,117
I already posted this in the 'grado e series' thread. 

But I also got some MS1s today that have silver drivers. i sent an email asking about this. But looks like I didn't have to. As it seems the red was temporary.
hmm

they sound great!. I have had MS1's before. Sold them and regretted it. Nice to have them again. My originals where using the old cups.

One thing i noticed is the old ones seemed to have tighter bass.

These gotta burn in though so we will see. 

running them though a modi 2 uber and magni 2 uber

going to try with my LD2++ tube amp later.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,050 of 3,117
Hey guys, first post here.

Anyways, I've bought a MS1e with old version cups a few months ago and it still doesn't fail to impress! The imaging is amazing!
I've heard people say that they don't have bass but for me they sound bassier than my V6. Maybe it's because it came with 2 holes punched...

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #3,052 of 3,117
Happy you enjoy it. How are with the LD2? With the LD1 they are very good.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #3,055 of 3,117
  I was never happy with the bass on my old sr60s. Felt like they didn't have any sometimes. PS500's on the other hand - perfect. Sounds like I will be happy with the bass on the MS1e's as well. 

As far as I know Grado/Alessandro didn't punch any holes on the felt around the driver on their lower-end models before the e upgrade. I'm also using the quarter-modded pads also which boosted the bass by a bit and enhanced the clarity and texture. I'm not sure how many holes are punched in the PS500 (you can check that by holding the drivers up to a light) but from reading other people's impressions the MS1e is quite similar to high-end Grado models.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #3,056 of 3,117
I know that. I was asking if the current MS1s come with " e's" and if I got old stock. The photo I quoted was another head-fier's MS1s with old cups and new drivers. I have already sent them an email but the are not known for their replies.

If you want to email Alessandro, here's the address: hounddogcorp@verizon.net

Pop them an message on facebook seems to be the quicker way, though

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alessandro-High-End-Products/

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,057 of 3,117
  Happy you enjoy it. How are with the LD2? With the LD1 they are very good.

They are really nice. The warmness compliments the MS1s sound nicely. Compared to the magni 2 uber it has a smoother overall sound with less treble and more warmth. The magni 2 has better detail but at the cost of being less smooth(harsh) and ultimately being a bit fatiguing. 

I really can't decide which one is better so I am going to keep both around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back