Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Oct 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #2,927 of 3,117
I got these a couple days ago and i'm loving them with my music. The sound stage and imaging is pretty much non-existent, not a big problem for me though, i don't really need sound stage and imaging for my music. What pads would one recommend for a brighter sound signature though? I'm a little wary to do the quarter mod on my comfies.

Also, i'm now a believer of burn-in, either the headphone or just my ears getting use to the sound..? i don't know... god what a difference!

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #2,931 of 3,117
  I'm personally loving the 414 pads, which I made black.

I've tried them also, after my initial disappointment with the comfort of the L-cush pads.  I did the 'reverse quarter mod' on them, i.e. cut a hole in the front, then mount them backwards, so the original factory-cut hole faces outwards.

I liked the comfort, but ultimately still preferred the sound with the L Cush, so I persevered with them and now couldn't use anything else :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,933 of 3,117
  I can't tell a huge difference between the Quarter mod and non-quarter mod.. Am I missing something?

I don't think so, to be honest ... I only cut the holes as I was trying to get them to sound more like the L-cush. I couldn't really tell the difference after I'd done the mod! The HD414 foam is not very dense, is it.

I reverse quarter-modded my stock S-cush pads too, in the end, but I still wasn't satisfied with the sound ...

I guess the sound you get with the L-Cush is more than just having the driver exposed; there's the shape/thickness of the foam & the fact it's constructed from layers of different density foams. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #2,934 of 3,117
I have two pairs of 414 pads - one is quarter modded, the other isn't. It seems like a popular modification, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.. I really can't tell a difference sonically between the two. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #2,935 of 3,117
I can believe that, the foam on those pads is not all that dense - i don't think it affects the sound all that much.

I also think people tend to exaggerate differences round these parts
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #2,936 of 3,117
I just ordered some HD 414 pads.. i'll see how it goes... i'll probably end up buying the l-cush pads in the future too because curiosity is a b*tch.. lol

So i've already read quite a bit about the grado mods.. some people said that the wooden cups affect the sound quality, some said it doesn't and it's just for looks.... this was back in '06 though... what's everyone think now that there's more known about them? I could make some wooden ones, but if it doesn't do anything to the sound then i could care less what they looks like on the outside. Thanks for the info guys 
redface.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,938 of 3,117
Yes although depending on how new you are to headphones it might be your first time experiencing an open backed can. And if you are planning to get headphones for public travel these wouldn't probably be the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back