Alessandro MS1i Ruined Driver R.I.P ... :(
Feb 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 34
tried applying the slightest amount of glue over the hole?

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
I don't understand how you could even do damage to the driver, because in his video he rips his out which seems quite violent compared to just nicking the driver like OP did. 

[size=x-small]Of course you will write off the driver if you puncture it...[/size]

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 34
it's metal though...

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 34
The only parts of the Grado driver thats metal are the magnet and the voice coil.... everything else is plastic.... The cloth on the backside of the driver could be paper (although it could be any number of plastics too...), and the face cloth could be cotton (although id assume nylon/polyester...) Im not sure....

NTTAWWT, most drivers are mostly plastic...

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 34
ok so what your pushing holes through is the cloth?

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
ok so what your pushing holes through is the cloth?

1) First you remove the cup by blowing the side with a hairdryer. (The Glue will melt and you can pry open it easily.
2) Then you punch the holes, but be careful, don't do what I did. I stabbed it because there were places where the mesh needed bigger pressure. (No Idea why.) If you can't create the punch with little pressure, stop there.
3) Remember its just the cloth. Don't punch too far and do what I did.

Btw, I think it was a risk I would take if I got another Alessandro. Ignoring the punctured driver flapping sound, the bass DID increase. A nice solid thump that is not boomy.

Goodluck!

Quote:
using the 1/8" connector on your MS1i's should do some excellent venting just like it does on my SR60s

Does that make the vent holes really big? If they are big, is the effect the same as a bigger amount of little holes? I'm thinking bigger holes will give a boomy bass and smaller holes give a tight thump. The connector seems like a good idea to avoid punching the drivers though.

Quote:
tried applying the slightest amount of glue over the hole?

I do not have faith in myself to attempt something so... well, I can't find the right word.

Quote:
Bilavideo who invented the mod, recommends a ballpoint pen because the increasing width as you go upwards actaually makes it impossible to hit the driver, which makes sense if you're worried about your hand eye control.

Where exactly is the video? I didn't find it. I only did the mod reading from the MS1000 thread.

Hope this thread helps anyone who wants to mod their grados/Alessandro's and give a lesson from my mistakes.

I'm sending it back to Alessandro. Attached to this pair, don't want another one.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #23 of 34
What did you use to make the holes?

Also I seem to be having the same problem. Though I have heard this sort of thing before, it could be due to hair on the driver. It is possible to remove them. Right now I am looking under a microscope projecting light from behind and can see in one of the holes that there is a very obvious hair vibrating with the driver. The trick is getting it out.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #24 of 34
It's best to use tweezers to peel away the felt and uncover the holes. Poking them makes the felt fall onto the driver area and can cause some issues with sound, just sayin.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 34
On second thought, that could be the magnetic coil wire. Maybe my driver was always like this and I've never analyzed the sound as much before. But either way, I do not see any obvious damage to the drivers through the holes.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
It's best to use tweezers to peel away the felt and uncover the holes. Poking them makes the felt fall onto the driver area and can cause some issues with sound, just sayin.

how do you do this with a tincey hole?

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 34
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
What did you use to make the holes?

Also I seem to be having the same problem. Though I have heard this sort of thing before, it could be due to hair on the driver. It is possible to remove them. Right now I am looking under a microscope projecting light from behind and can see in one of the holes that there is a very obvious hair vibrating with the driver. The trick is getting it out.

I used a small phillips head screwdriver. 

Quote:

That's brilliant. If I had thought of it I wouldn't have punctured drivers now. I miss my MS1i's. Sent back to Alessandro (Hopefully they won't charge me a hefty fee). The guy who answered the phone said that it "only takes them 1/3 of the production cost to replace drivers" something like that. Very good customer service. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #29 of 34
ahh I see

Feb 10, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #30 of 34
I first would have tried making a mold of the driver with melted candle wax where it's not broken, then putting on the mold a tiny bit of special glue (or acetone to melt the plastic) then push the mold over the area of the driver that you poked covering the hole and making sure you don't put too much glue, the holed would've been filled keeping the exact same pattern it had before, it probably wouldn't sound the same, but if you do it very well, I think you'd get a good result. If not, no problem since you were going to get it fixed.

hope it helps someone in the future.

Pascal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back