Alessandro MS1i Ruined Driver R.I.P ... :(
Feb 8, 2011 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

riddlezildjian

Head-Fier
So I got my MS1i's three days ago and did the quarter mod. Everything was perfect, the MS1i's really bring out my mids and highs out tremendously. I was craving for more bass to balance the already spectacular high and mids so I did the punch hole mod. Even after carefully reading the MS1000 thread and a S60i Mod thread,

I accidentally poked a hole through my driver. :frowning2:

Now it makes an unbearable flapping noise when there is low frequency involved, (20Hz - 300Hz) , seeing how the driver is ruined my Alessandro's are now next to dead. And they were only three days old... Is there any way I can still send it back to Alessandro for repairs? Maybe even replace them? 
Unless I sell it for parts? :frowning2:

I guess I have no one to blame but myself. Guess this is the depression-let-out thread. I now have a big hole in my heart, and because of my carelessness, I will never buy these phones again. :frowning2: 

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 34
Why on earth are you modding headphones you hadn't even broken in yet? Be honest and accept your responsibility and contact allesandro and have them repair it. You will (rightly so) have to pay for it though. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 34
Nothing wrong with modding headphones you haven't broken in yet - a lot of people buy Grados specifically for a modding project.

I don't expect it will be a big difference in price between paying for a repair and buying a second hand set on the classifieds, then you will still have the old one for spares as well.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 34

Quote:
I don't expect it will be a big difference in price between paying for a repair and buying a second hand set on the classifieds, then you will still have the old one for spares as well.

How much are we looking at? (Repairs) and (Second Hand pair)

Quote:
Be honest and accept your responsibility and contact allesandro and have them repair it. You will (rightly so) have to pay for it though.

I guess so. :frowning2: Sigh. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 34
wait, how did you punch a hole through your driver? the whole punch mod is just through the cloth correct? Dang, this sort of worries me...been meaning to make some mods but after hearing this not sure if it's worth it.

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 34
Just be very careful when doing it, it doesn't take any force really so no need to stab at it.

Many have done it without puncturing a driver, but of course the risk is always there like with any operation.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 34
Well if you don't pay for repairs, you at least have a broken pair that you won't have as much of a problem trying mods on, at least to try and get the feel for it better so in the future you're less likely to mess up.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 34
I'm assuming with a pin or pencil?

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 34
if you are going to do that mod wouldn't it make more sense to use an exacto knife instead of punching a hole with something? You could then be much more precise.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 34
.....that would open up a larger hole then wanted sir. The quarter mod would benefit from an exacto knife.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #11 of 34
All the pictures of this mod that I have seen show the whole hole (haha) being opened and an xacto knife would be perfect for that. I'm talking the very small precise one, not a carpet knife.

Quote:
.....that would open up a larger hole then wanted sir. The quarter mod would benefit from an exacto knife.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 34
^ I think there's some confusion. I believe the mod the OP is talking about is the driver venting one, where you poke a thin, sharp object through the material that covers the inside of the holes in the back of the driver housing. The idea is to allow more airflow to the driver, and it carries a significant risk of doing exactly what the OP did if you're not careful. The quarter mod, of course, is the one involving cloth--it's done with either Comfies or those yellow Senn pads.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #13 of 34
Hmmm must be right, my mistake. I thought the quarter mod was simply cutting a hole in the comfies or yellow pads. I thought venting was just cutting the baffle cloth. I guess more reading is in order (although I'm not modding mine), still just learning.

Quote:
^ I think there's some confusion. I believe the mod the OP is talking about is the driver venting one, where you poke a thin, sharp object through the material that covers the inside of the holes in the back of the driver housing. The idea is to allow more airflow to the driver, and it carries a significant risk of doing exactly what the OP did if you're not careful. The quarter mod, of course, is the one involving cloth--it's done with either Comfies or those yellow Senn pads.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:
I'm assuming with a pin or pencil?

I use the part in a jewellers screwdriver set that is just pointed (not phillips head or flat) not sure what you call one of those. It makes the guide hole to screw into. There is a risk in that if you're going to stab at it, but none really if you're careful and is quite precise.

Bilavideo who invented the mod, recommends a ballpoint pen because the increasing width as you go upwards actaually makes it impossible to hit the driver, which makes sense if you're worried about your hand eye control.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 34
I don't understand how you could even do damage to the driver, because in his video he rips his out which seems quite violent compared to just nicking the driver like OP did. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back