Alessandro MS-1 & nad setup : help me improve...
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moodyalex

New Head-Fier
hello everybody ! first, sorry for my english (i'm a french newbie here !! )
here's my setup and then my question for you :

nad C515bee and rega P1 for sources, nad c315bee as integrated amp, q acoustic speakers, and Alessandro MS-1 (with hd414 pads), cables : QED Qunex1 and silver audio anniversary.

question : i love the sound i get with the ms-1 (lots of details, sounds clear and dynamic, ability to separate instruments) using headphone out in the nad c315bee BUT when i turn the volume up, it's like there's a threshold: below the headphone doesn't sound right and above it's too high to be confortable four long-time-listening (this threshold is low on the volume button)

1. is it the headphone ? (fatiguability due to aggressiveness ? )  : in that case i can afford buying a new one : sr325, alessandro MS-2, HD600 or HD 650
  2. is it the amp ? ( headphone of a small z driven too easily by the amp ?) : in that case do i need an headphone amp ? and which one (for max 400$) ?

Thank you for your answers, and for this forum in which i've learned so much :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 5
to sum up, i think the volume button is not linear so i can't have low-volume listening (we can say the first 1/15 of the volume is muted and then it start at 2/15) so the best thing would be an attenuator ... Do i need an amp ? or a pair of headphone less easy to drive ( K701 ? considering my taste) ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back