Alclair Electro 6-Driver Electrostatic Hybrid Custom In-Ear Monitor
May 31, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #61 of 79
How does it compare against the EM64 technically?

After reading your reviews of these two, it seems the Electro is more neutral, more reference, with very little coloured sound, puts you on a sofa and allows you to focus on the record characteristics, or on the source. While the EM64, although not that far from neutral, is more foot tapping, with a narrower soundstage (but not claustrophobic either). The first is rather made for studio sessions, and the second one is for live performance. Am I right?

Your assumption there is very, very accurate! :D You can read more about the Electro vs. EM64 comparison in the comments section of the Electro review. I'll copy it here for all to see:

"The EM64 is quite a bit sparklier than the Electro. The top-end is brighter and bites more, so I’d say the Electro’s top-end is more transparent (i.e. it changes more from one track to another). Obviously, that’s a quality that would be more ideal in mixing, so you can track the differences you’re making more accurately in real-time.

The EM64’s midrange is also a bit more distant, which gives its soundstage a bit more depth. As I said in the review, the Electro’s upper-mids are a hair more forward than flat-neutral. If your engagement is determined by dynamic energy and the contrast between the top- and bottom-ends, the EM64 is more fun and lively to listen to. The Electro’s reference-tuned low-end can make it sound straight-up dull down-low with certain recordings. But, if your engagement is determined by the fullness and intimacy of the vocalist or lead instrument, the Electro’s more forward, vibrant midrange will come across more engaging.

With all that said, I think the EM64 is more ideal for performing than it is for mixing, even though it can serve that function capably too. I feel the reverse is true for the Electro. If you like a touch of brightness and a bit of bite to your IEMs, the EM64 is for you. If you prefer a slightly thicker, smoother, but no-less-detailed sound, the Electro is the one."

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #62 of 79
Your assumption there is very, very accurate! :D You can read more about the Electro vs. EM64 comparison in the comments section of the Electro review. I'll copy it here for all to see:

"The EM64 is quite a bit sparklier than the Electro. The top-end is brighter and bites more, so I’d say the Electro’s top-end is more transparent (i.e. it changes more from one track to another). Obviously, that’s a quality that would be more ideal in mixing, so you can track the differences you’re making more accurately in real-time.

The EM64’s midrange is also a bit more distant, which gives its soundstage a bit more depth. As I said in the review, the Electro’s upper-mids are a hair more forward than flat-neutral. If your engagement is determined by dynamic energy and the contrast between the top- and bottom-ends, the EM64 is more fun and lively to listen to. The Electro’s reference-tuned low-end can make it sound straight-up dull down-low with certain recordings. But, if your engagement is determined by the fullness and intimacy of the vocalist or lead instrument, the Electro’s more forward, vibrant midrange will come across more engaging.

With all that said, I think the EM64 is more ideal for performing than it is for mixing, even though it can serve that function capably too. I feel the reverse is true for the Electro. If you like a touch of brightness and a bit of bite to your IEMs, the EM64 is for you. If you prefer a slightly thicker, smoother, but no-less-detailed sound, the Electro is the one."

Thank you very much

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #63 of 79
Alclair is starting their Black Friday sale early again this year, and it's the same deals as last year, with some new models added. Also, the sale is now extended thru Dec. 1st.

Get 15% off on the Versa, Dual XB and Universal UV2 models.

Get 20% off on the Reference, Tour, RSM. and CMVK models. Oh and the all new Universal Alclair UV3 too!

Get 30% (WOWZA) on the Spire, RevX , Studio3 , Studio 4 and the Electro models.

@Deezel177 with all the new E-stat IEMs now on the market (Alclair beat most of these guys to the punch), how well do you think the Electro has held up?

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #64 of 79
Alclair is starting their Black Friday sale early again this year, and it's the same deals as last year, with some new models added. Also, the sale is now extended thru Dec. 1st.

Get 20% off on the Reference, Tour, RSM. and CMVK models. Oh and the all new Universal Alclair UV3 too!

@Deezel177 with all the new E-stat IEMs now on the market (Alclair beat most of these guys to the punch), how well do you think the Electro has held up?

Wow, that price on the Studio 4 is a total steal.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #65 of 79

At 30% off, I think the Electro is an absolute steal! As long as you don't demand tons of bass all the time, I think the Electro is one of the best all-rounders in the market right now, and I'd highly recommend getting it at this price if it was on your radar already. :D

Nov 16, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #66 of 79
At 30% off, I think the Electro is an absolute steal! As long as you don't demand tons of bass all the time, I think the Electro is one of the best all-rounders in the market right now, and I'd highly recommend getting it at this price if it was on your radar already. :D
Yes, as you may remember, it's on my radar all right. For the price, I'm torn between the Electro and FIBAE 7. Or none of the above, as I just recently got myself a demo ProPhile 8 and I'm quite happy with it, except for the sibilance on certain tracks.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #68 of 79
Yes, as you may remember, it's on my radar all right. For the price, I'm torn between the Electro and FIBAE 7. Or none of the above, as I just recently got myself a demo ProPhile 8 and I'm quite happy with it, except for the sibilance on certain tracks.
Interesting point. Electro and FIBAE 7 swing at a similar price point, moreso at Alclair's Black Friday prices (here's hoping they come up in 2020). I'd be interested to know how they compare too.

May 26, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #69 of 79
It may be poor form to reply to the same thread twice in a row but it seems Black Friday has come early for Alcair's Studio lineup. I got a marketing email saying the Studio3, Studio4, and Electro are all 30% off! That's about equivalent to their Black Friday prices of year's past.

My wallet would be in a lot more danger if not for the fact I don't think audiologists in my area are opening back up for business...

@KarmaStudios I haven't tried any Alclair IEMs but from emailing their staff, it seems the Studio4 is designed for ruler-flat, nearly to the point of boredom (which is understandable considering its intended purpose). The Electro is also meant to be flat and detailed but the treble from the e-stat drivers is supposed to open up the soundstage and overall presentation. That's all I was able to get from them at the time.

@Deezel177, if you're available to answer, I think @jeffhawke and I are curious about the FIBAE 7 compared to the Electro. My guess is the F7 tends to "natural" coloration while the Electro tries to stick to "neutral" and mostly uncolored?

May 26, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #70 of 79
It may be poor form to reply to the same thread twice in a row but it seems Black Friday has come early for Alcair's Studio lineup. I got a marketing email saying the Studio3, Studio4, and Electro are all 30% off! That's about equivalent to their Black Friday prices of year's past.

My wallet would be in a lot more danger if not for the fact I don't think audiologists in my area are opening back up for business...

@KarmaStudios I haven't tried any Alclair IEMs but from emailing their staff, it seems the Studio4 is designed for ruler-flat, nearly to the point of boredom (which is understandable considering its intended purpose). The Electro is also meant to be flat and detailed but the treble from the e-stat drivers is supposed to open up the soundstage and overall presentation. That's all I was able to get from them at the time.

@Deezel177, if you're available to answer, I think @jeffhawke and I are curious about the FIBAE 7 compared to the Electro. My guess is the F7 tends to "natural" coloration while the Electro tries to stick to "neutral" and mostly uncolored?

I actually got the Studio4 about 3 weeks ago. I had to have them refitted and have had them for about a week now. They are indeed very flat , but have a great amount of soundstage and detail that I was looking for. I may end up getting the RSM Quad sometime in the future for casual listening. I am not disappointed in the least as it was what I was looking for in the studio and mobile mixing.

May 26, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #71 of 79
I actually got the Studio4 about 3 weeks ago. I had to have them refitted and have had them for about a week now. They are indeed very flat , but have a great amount of soundstage and detail that I was looking for. I may end up getting the RSM Quad sometime in the future for casual listening. I am not disappointed in the least as it was what I was looking for in the studio and mobile mixing.
Oh, nice! I didn't know if they were still able to keep their office open with Covid-19 restrictions. What kind of mixing do you do?

May 26, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #72 of 79
Oh, nice! I didn't know if they were still able to keep their office open with Covid-19 restrictions. What kind of mixing do you do?
Yes ordered them about 3 months ago. They were shut down for about 3 weeks but have been open for about 3 weeks now. I do a lot of freelance work. I used to do a lot more tracking, but since I have 2 younger kids i have not had the time. I take whatever work i can swing.

May 26, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #73 of 79
Yes ordered them about 3 months ago. They were shut down for about 3 weeks but have been open for about 3 weeks now. I do a lot of freelance work. I used to do a lot more tracking, but since I have 2 younger kids i have not had the time. I take whatever work i can swing.
I hope you'll consider writing a more formal review for them. It's nigh impossible to find reviews of Alclair gear (Deezel's review of the Electro being one of the few stellar exceptions).

May 12, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #74 of 79
I'm interested in ESMs. Not in a rush. Does Alclair only run deals for Black Friday?

May 12, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #75 of 79
I'm interested in ESMs. Not in a rush. Does Alclair only run deals for Black Friday?
If you sign up for their newsletter or follow them on their socials, you'll see they occasionally run sales that match their Black Friday sales on a model here and there. However, Black Friday appears to be the most consistent time they slash prices across the board. Have you had an opportunity to check them out in person? If you're not near one of their workshops, I know they also try to do "road shows" at local churches and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back