Alclair Electro 6-Driver Electrostatic Hybrid Custom In-Ear Monitor
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #46 of 79
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #47 of 79
The wait is over. This bad boy arrived today.

I'm still learning how to get these comfortably into my ear - fatigue/pressure sets in quickly. At least I can listen to a full album without much issue. So, for the IEM (this and talking about the Beyerdynamic Xelento - it was a complex conversation that did me no favors, ok?) that was the straw that broke the wife's back, it's an interesting experience so far. Not much time with them yet, but I'm enjoying what I hear so far. Just getting through a variety of use cases. Currently using the AAW Capri Cable (modified to fit the Electro) out of a Note 9. Used iPod Touch, Topping DX3 Pro, and Toping NX4 DSD and hitting it with a whole bunch of electronic ambiance and sound scapes, but will get to the stuff I know well later (I've got a research paper to write and collaborate by next week, ok?).

Initial impression is extremely positive. I was a bit worried about the bass - but I should not have; it fits my taste. Bass does not underwhelm or overwhelm, and really, the Electro does an excellent job. I'm also strongly biased toward BA bass presentation, so take that for what you will. Great clarity, and excellent for male vocals beyond what I had expected. I haven't done a lot of vocalists at the moment, and most of my uber familiar songs have male vocalists. Doesn't have the airy treble sparkle I remember from the Andromeda, so I shall still long for that. However, for an IEM that trends to warmth, and doesn't hit the brightness that I was hoping for, I'm actually liking the Electro's upper mids and treble. As a nit-picking thing, I think the Electro is a tiny bit more sibilant than I expected, but I'd have to go back and listen to another IEM to do a more accurate comparison. This is something I have no motivation to do.

I know I was looking at the Electro as a possible successor to the Andromeda. It isn't. Instead, I think I found a personal successor to the Zeus. Yes, my all-time favorite, the EE Zeus may have lost its place to the Electro. I'm not kidding, this initial 5 hour session has me crossing the Zeus off my wish list. This was a totally unexpected consequence, but there you have it.
Not for bassheads. Like, not even close.

Endgame material? Welp, for once I hit the bass boost on the NX4 DSD and uh... I really enjoyed what came out. My typical reaction to this bass boost is: "look. more bass. meh." With the Electro, it was, "Look. More.. oh. Oh, that's just the spot." And my leg started thumping. True story. Short answer: the Electro is an overwhelming favorite to be endgame material. Need to do more listening to get a better idea, but yeah, this is one hell of an experience.

Check out the Electro here: https://alclair.com/monitorshop/electro-electrostatic/
Nice take. If you will have the opportunity to compare with Shure KSE I would love to hear your impressions.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #49 of 79
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #51 of 79
Mar 27, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #52 of 79
After about the first 20 hours or so of use, I can say that either the Alclair Electro opened up a bit to get some nice treble air or - and this is much more likely - I just started noticing it a bit more after hitting it with a greater variation of music.

Damn, this is one fine IEM.

I know my taste is strongly skewed to BA IEMs ( though I like to think my appreciation of the Flare Audio Golds is a sign of my ability to appreciate an IEM for what it actually provides, but still, I know my taste), and this may impact my impression, but I have to say the Electro now hits everything I want in an IEM. Comfort, sound isolating, resolution, and now a nice treble presentation with a little bit of sparkle in there.

These IEMs have completely changed my listening habits; where I would once switch between different IEMs at home, I've gone to the Electro exclusively. For all genres, from any source.

Alclair did an excellent job with this IEM. Well done, Alclair, well done.

Apr 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #53 of 79
Hey, @Deezel177 you said in your impressions that it didn't have the best soundstage relative to the iems that have the largest stages. Would you still say it is good or even still above average on its own right? Also can you compare the electro a bit to the solaris as well as estat hybrids like the khan? I'm also curious how well the bass does on the electro for BAs as compared to dynamic hybrids with similar levels of bass. I'm thinking perhaps having dual bass woofers will help add thickness even at neutral level to compare well with dynamics. Lastly would you say it's in the same league as iems of any price like the a18 you mentioned in the impressions, khan, solaris etc? Sorry for the length of questions. I've strongly been considering the electro since its release.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #54 of 79
Hey, @Deezel177 you said in your impressions that it didn't have the best soundstage relative to the iems that have the largest stages. Would you still say it is good or even still above average on its own right? Also can you compare the electro a bit to the solaris as well as estat hybrids like the khan? I'm also curious how well the bass does on the electro for BAs as compared to dynamic hybrids with similar levels of bass. I'm thinking perhaps having dual bass woofers will help add thickness even at neutral level to compare well with dynamics. Lastly would you say it's in the same league as iems of any price like the a18 you mentioned in the impressions, khan, solaris etc? Sorry for the length of questions. I've strongly been considering the electro since its release.

No problem! I'll try my best to segregate my answers into numbered points:
  1. The Electro does not expand as large or as convincingly as the Empire Ears Zeus, the Jomo Audio Trinity, etc. But, it is absolutely above average in terms of expansion. As long as you manage your expectations well and not anticipate the spatial performance of IEMs that are nearly twice the price, you won't at all be disappointed.
  2. The Solaris and Khan are both a bit leaner than the Electro, but they both have more prominent low-ends. The Electro is more transparent in portraying how much bass a track actually has, while the Solaris and the Khan are more consistently dynamic. The Khan is the leanest and driest of the three in my opinion. This is why it wins out in sheer clarity and impact. The Electro is closer to the Solaris, but the latter trades in a bit of body for a crisp attack. So, it all depends on what you're looking for really.
  3. Having dual woofers doesn't really add anything apart from headroom. By having two drivers output the same signal, you can push the bass further without getting distortion. I believe the Electro has fantastic extension and sub-bass content, so it can be a physical, rattling bass if the track calls for it. It doesn't really have the punch-in-the-gut palpable-ness of a DD, but the Electro isn't trying to compete with a DD in the first place. As I said, the Electro is more concerned with matching the track's low-end quantity and quality, rather than imposing any flavour of its own down low. So, don't expect a DD low-end not because the Electro isn't capable of it, but because that's not what it's pursuing.
  4. If what you mean by in the same league is resolution, coherence, etc., then I'd say it's exactly on the level of (if not a hair above) its similarly-priced brethren. It can compete with the Solaris. The Khan has some edges over it, but as I explained in (2), that comes with its own set of drawbacks. The A18t I think outperforms it if we're talking sheer technicality, but it's not (as it never is) as big as the price difference suggests.
Hope that covers everything. :)

Apr 10, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #55 of 79
No problem! I'll try my best to segregate my answers into numbered points:
  1. The Electro does not expand as large or as convincingly as the Empire Ears Zeus, the Jomo Audio Trinity, etc. But, it is absolutely above average in terms of expansion. As long as you manage your expectations well and not anticipate the spatial performance of IEMs that are nearly twice the price, you won't at all be disappointed.
  2. The Solaris and Khan are both a bit leaner than the Electro, but they both have more prominent low-ends. The Electro is more transparent in portraying how much bass a track actually has, while the Solaris and the Khan are more consistently dynamic. The Khan is the leanest and driest of the three in my opinion. This is why it wins out in sheer clarity and impact. The Electro is closer to the Solaris, but the latter trades in a bit of body for a crisp attack. So, it all depends on what you're looking for really.
  3. Having dual woofers doesn't really add anything apart from headroom. By having two drivers output the same signal, you can push the bass further without getting distortion. I believe the Electro has fantastic extension and sub-bass content, so it can be a physical, rattling bass if the track calls for it. It doesn't really have the punch-in-the-gut palpable-ness of a DD, but the Electro isn't trying to compete with a DD in the first place. As I said, the Electro is more concerned with matching the track's low-end quantity and quality, rather than imposing any flavour of its own down low. So, don't expect a DD low-end not because the Electro isn't capable of it, but because that's not what it's pursuing.
  4. If what you mean by in the same league is resolution, coherence, etc., then I'd say it's exactly on the level of (if not a hair above) its similarly-priced brethren. It can compete with the Solaris. The Khan has some edges over it, but as I explained in (2), that comes with its own set of drawbacks. The A18t I think outperforms it if we're talking sheer technicality, but it's not (as it never is) as big as the price difference suggests.
Hope that covers everything. :)
Thanks a lot! It's hard to decide on such expensive iems, especially without a place to demo them. Any impressions and input are always greatly appreciated. Sounds like Alclair REALLY made something special here, ESPECIALLY for the price. It's a tough call between this and the Campfires, but I think I'm leaning more towards the Alclairs. I might get both in the end though haha. :ksc75smile:

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #56 of 79
Thanks a lot! It's hard to decide on such expensive iems, especially without a place to demo them. Any impressions and input are always greatly appreciated. Sounds like Alclair REALLY made something special here, ESPECIALLY for the price. It's a tough call between this and the Campfires, but I think I'm leaning more towards the Alclairs. I might get both in the end though haha. :ksc75smile:

No problem! 'Happy to do my part. Another point to add to the Electro is that it's custom, while I've heard some reports of people not being able to get a good fit with the Solaris. I personally find the fit with the Solaris just fine, but if perhaps have smaller ears, then it may be a cause for concern.

May 7, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #57 of 79
My Electro review is now up on TheHeadphoneList.com! These are some of the most well-balanced, versatile and refined monitors I've heard in recent memory, ideal for those looking for a vibrant, engaging, jack-of-all-trades without sacrificing lower-mid content. Enjoy! :D

May 8, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #58 of 79
Very comprehensive and exhaustive review, thanks Daniel! Seriously thinking of finally getting one of these and eliminating everything else (except for one, maybe).

May 30, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #60 of 79
Thank you! It's a special one, indeed. :D

How does it compare against the EM64 technically?

After reading your reviews of these two, it seems the Electro is more neutral, more reference, with very little coloured sound, puts you on a sofa and allows you to focus on the record characteristics, or on the source. While the EM64, although not that far from neutral, is more foot tapping, with a narrower soundstage (but not claustrophobic either). The first is rather made for studio sessions, and the second one is for live performance. Am I right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back