AKG's new K872?
Dec 17, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #451 of 642
Interesting timing! I own the 1540 but have also been looking at either the 1770 Pro or the K872 as "upgrade" potentials, but I've heard neither so can't offer a comparison.

I was researching the best closed studio headphones just last night and of the 10-15 sites visited, 90% of them listed the 1540 at the top. So far nothing has convinced me that it's time to move up from the Shure!

The FR @jagwap posted of the K872 displays a mid range drop similar to the Elear, which doesn't bother like it seems to of so many on Head-Fi, but it's the first time I've seen it attributed to the AKG.

Anyone able to offer a comparison of the 1540 and K872?

I cannot take credit for the FR chart. There seems to be an uneven patch when I listen.

Aug 31, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #453 of 642
The 872’s are more detailed than the PM3’s and the 3’s are fairly warm also. Even though the 872’s are closed they don’t block a lot of sound from the outside but not too bad not for sure how much isolation you need.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #454 of 642
Hi. Can anyone say anything about the K872 vs MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed? Currently they are very close in price (872 is slightly higher), both closed. I've heard the Aeon and K812 but not the 872. I liked the Aeon but still consider AKG as well.

I liked the quality/quantity of bass in the Aeon, I liked it in 812 as well. Considering various reviews and opinions, my concern is the bass quantity in the 872, isn’t it too much in comparison with the above mentioned headphones?

I can’t bear Fostex, Denon and similar HP, to me they are for bass heads.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #455 of 642
No concern like that with K872. Bass quantity is closer to neutral than K812. Just take the foam filters out.

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #456 of 642
Hi. Can anyone say anything about the K872 vs MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed? Currently they are very close in price (872 is slightly higher), both closed. I've heard the Aeon and K812 but not the 872. I liked the Aeon but still consider AKG as well.

I liked the quality/quantity of bass in the Aeon, I liked it in 812 as well. Considering various reviews and opinions, my concern is the bass quantity in the 872, isn’t it too much in comparison with the above mentioned headphones?

Hi qsk78,

I own all these headphones:
the bass of the unmodded K872 isn't overemphasized
(as is the case with many headphones with an artificially V-shaped Frequency Response (FR) curve, you rightly mention Denon and Fostex,
but the K872 isn't like this).

They are much more dynamic than the Aeon Flow Closed, i.e. much more fun (I find both the Aeon Flow Closed and the Ether Closed boring, lacking in dynamics and fun) and much more easier to drive.

One problem with the K872 is the foam add-own which lowers the resolution and imaging compared to the K812, so I fully agree with negura:

No concern like that with K872. Bass quantity is closer to neutral than K812. Just take the foam filters out.

Yes, negura, I too took the foam away, it gives a nice win in resolution and imaging, but it weakens the bass.

Two other hings to keep in mind:
- while the K872 and K812 are both very comfortable, they don't have a good grip and can slide away when you turn your head, which is bit annoying (you have to readjust their position)
- the K872 has a significant dip somewhere in the mids, see back in the thread the FR graph I posted.

I prefer the K872 to the Aeon Flow Closed (AFC),
but now for me they are both edged out by a newer closed headphone,
the Focal Elegia, which also isolates very well, has a flat FR with more (flat curve) and fast sub-bass and many nice features of Focal TOTL.
I mean I would no longer think about K872 vs AFC, and go for the Elegia.

Wishing you all the best and a nice sunday afternoon,
bidn

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #458 of 642
Thank you. I don't need fun headphones, the more neutral ("boring") the better.

Hi qsk78,

I am like you, I prefer the more neutral, I can't listen for long to those with bass boost (like the Campfire Cascade or those you mentioned; this is also an issue for me with most bluetooth headphones). I find strongly V-shaped headphones terrible.

I mean "fun" only in the sense of dynamics, liveliness. For example for me the HD 800 lack dynamics, "life" and the K812 and K872 have much more dynamics (so are more fun, alive to me) than the HD 800, I notice this especially with "modern" music (metal, post rock, etc.).

I understand what you value about the AFC, I find some headphones by MrSpeakers to be more neutral than most planars (unfortunately most LCD-* by Audeze, incl. the very expensive ones, are quite laid back between 2k (or sometimes 1k or 3k) and 6k, and most Hifiman, incl. the Susvara, around 2k and around 6k; among those I find only the HE6 acceptable re. neutrality).

Focal does great re. neutrality for me with the Utopia, Clear and Elegia.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #459 of 642
I had Aeon Closed and they aren't neutral. They have midrange suckout. That can make them somewhat distant and boring sounding.

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #460 of 642
Well, not sure about that. I did not find them that distant..could be a source (DAC) dependency.

Anyway, many thanks to all who replied. Very valuable information.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #461 of 642

I think ByerDynamic Amirons are cheaper and much better for this style of headphones.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #463 of 642
I think ByerDynamic Amirons are cheaper and much better for this style of headphones.

To my ears the Amiron are quite far from neutral, with a V-shaped FR, although not as terrible as older models from Beyerdynamic,
i.e. what qsk78, said he does not want (he wants neutral headphones). But I can imagine many would love them.

Also re. resolution, speed, imaging, etc. they are are at least one or two class below, they do sound muffled in comparison.
In addition they manage, with their weight and nice confort (little pressure) to slide off more easily from the head than the K872 and K812.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #464 of 642
In addition they manage, with their weight and nice confort (little pressure) to slide off more easily from the head than the K872 and K812.

You imply there's something that slides from ones head more easily than a K812/K872? I've only tested the Amiron Wired for a short time when they came out, but I don't think thats true in this case... the K812 is more fragile to me in that regard. But its very comfortable, as is the K872.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back