AKG's new K872?
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #466 of 642
Hi guys, I'm sorry for English. I recently bought an AK8 K872 and I would like to know how many burn-in hours it needs.
I read in here somewhere that it needs about 100 hours of burn-in before it starts to really open up. Bought mine recently too and it certainly did open up after using them for sometime.

Edit: or maybe I am just sonically getting used to them...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #467 of 642
I never noticed any difference after hundreds of hours. The treble stayed somewhat coarse.

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #469 of 642
Yeah... it is somewhat coarse until I modded it. And even then, my mod only somewhat tames that annoying 4.87 KHz peak.

Being somewhat late to the party, I've my K872 for a few days now and only perceived that coarseness here & there after I read about it here. Also, the 4.8 KHz peak is really well controllable (IF one wants to tone it down..) with EQ, I'm using the RME ADI-2 DAC's internal one (foobar2000's works well, too :wink: ).

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #470 of 642
It is easy to hear as a coarseness but it can also be interpreted as an 'openness' in the upper mid. In other words, it is possible to 'hear around' the peaks if you want to.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #472 of 642
@Beagle, you mean, like, "false" highs due to this mid-coarseness that give some pseudo "sparkle"?
If you concentrate on the openness it provides, and you enjoy that quality, you might be able to tune out the residue coarseness.

Dec 28, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #473 of 642
Question to those who removed the foam rings - are you still happy about the mod? I did try the headphones a while back, and found them very boxy and nasal, but this was before the foam ring removal was even discussed here and elsewhere. Am willing to give them a try again and remove the foam rings. Do you actually need to unclip the whole of the earpad in order to remove the rings, or can you get away with unclipping just a few of markings, and wriggle the foam rings out this way? I guess this makes seating the earpad back to its normal position much easier. Many thanks!

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #474 of 642
The K872 seems a bit more natural and balanced without the rings. I use the included tool to insert the pads. In the meantime, I can only bring it together with my fingers.

Dec 28, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #475 of 642
What "included tool" did you use ?
In my box, besides the really nice carrying case/headphones stand, there was only the cable and a leaflet...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #476 of 642
Please see in the black accessory box.

Pics from the K872 accessory box and the K872 tool for pad

37540097ev.jpg

37540098hk.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #477 of 642
Got it !
Thank you :) , I didn't even notice it in the bottom of the accessory box...

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #478 of 642
Old thread, but just picked these up used today and had to comment. All listening was single ended on my Questyle QPM.

These are quite good in stock form. Nice extension in the bass and a satisfying sparkle on top. Nice warmth, detailed and smooth. Thought I'd be bothered more by the upper midrange depression, but really wasn't. As a result it's very easy to pick an instrument and follow it in the mix.

I think I detect a slight lack of leading edge impact with some instruments, but it's very slight; jump factor is still retained. As a tradeoff I can listen louder than I normally do without fatigue despite the measured high distortion in the same frequency range. So far nothing really offensive is jumping out at me.

It's still early, but quite happy with the purchase. No headphone is perfect, but this is a great closed back option. Ironically the person I purchased this from was a recording engineer who said they were just too detailed for his purposes!

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #479 of 642
After falling in love with the AKG 702 i decided to get the AKG K812 as my endgame. The 812 disappoints me a bit though because i like the tuning of the 702 more. Would you guys think the 872 is closer to the 702 than the 812 ?

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #480 of 642
Don’t have the 702 or 812’s but tonality is very close to the 812’s from what I remember but a different frequency response but not by a lot. So I’m guessing closer to the 812’s than the 702’s. Incredibly comfortable and so easy to drive. Great stage for a closed back and detail as well. I think I love them the most as a gaming headphone but game a bunch but damn do the rock always amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back