AKG's new K872?
Mar 25, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #631 of 642
So based on the last comments about The Composer, they say it does not have too much of a soundstage. Will The Composer be more similar to the K872 (without the foam inner rings) than tue K812?
No!
I owned the K872, K812 is audibly better, Composer outperforms both of them. Composer has more bass depth, very good mids, no noticeable sibilants. The only K812 feels like it has a slightly wider stage.
Over all and from a purely musical point of view, I even like the DT1990 better than K872, of course this is a closed vs. open comparison.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #632 of 642
owning the k872 and k812 i would say the opposite. the k872 is less v shaped without the sharpness the k812 sometimes has. Also the soundstage on the k872 is wider even tho they are closed. the k812 has better layering tho. dont know the composer yet.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #633 of 642
owning the k872 and k812 i would say the opposite. the k872 is less v shaped without the sharpness the k812 sometimes has. Also the soundstage on the k872 is wider even tho they are closed. the k812 has better layering tho. dont know the composer yet.
Thats exactly, I concluded that K612 is much better for work because ambiguous mids of K812. However, listening to music with K812 is a real pleasure

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #634 of 642
Over all and from a purely musical point of view, I even like the DT1990 better than K872, of course this is a closed vs. open comparison.
Similarly I've recently been using the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, I appreciate the analytical nature of the K872 but as you say from a "purely musical point of view", have yet to hear the DT1990 but I can imagine the Amiron with its even more forgiving nature being even more so.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #635 of 642
Similarly I've recently been using the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, I appreciate the analytical nature of the K872 but as you say from a "purely musical point of view", have yet to hear the DT1990 but I can imagine the Amiron with its even more forgiving nature being even more so.
depends on how someone is defining "musical". to me it means realistic instead of romantic.

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #636 of 642
depends on how someone is defining "musical". to me it means realistic instead of romantic.
Good point....comes down to semantics...and almost hard to define "realistic" these days........ I've been trying to attend as many live performances as possible lately, classical and new modern, headphones never, and may never come close to realistic.
Now having said that, having done on-site live recording in my early days, I always find my K872 and the K812 (when I had them), give me the sensation of having a "real" live studio feed, believe I've mentioned this aspect numerous times, but it makes these AKG unique, and in that sense quite realistic, no romanticizing.
Overall though for me personally the whole hobby has become way too romanticized, folks have become vehemently attached to their equipment, spawning a whole boutique market, leading to silly pricing for two little speakers hanging next to our ears which we happily justify on spending. lol
As for musical...one def. "having the pleasing harmonious qualities of music : melodious"....depends if one likes pleasing harmonious music. Hmmm? :thinking:
Music on the other hand can be many different things..I like to call it organized sound. My favourite being organized chaos.
Oldie but goldie....Varèse 1931. :sunglasses:
https://tidal.com/browse/track/341818

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #639 of 642
I've seen the K812 many times at low prices but not so much the K872. I wonder why.
Still some say the closed version has a bigger soundstage but the K812 have more micro details. Anyone has both at the same time? Cheers
The K812 is an open back so in theory should be perceptually wider, and in a not too quiet environment the K872 being closed back would have the advantage of displaying more inherent detail, from memory the 2 are very similar but like all things YMMV.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #640 of 642
The K812 is an open back so in theory should be perceptually wider, and in a not too quiet environment the K872 being closed back would have the advantage of displaying more inherent detail, from memory the 2 are very similar but like all things YMMV.
generally you are right, but still it isnt the case with those two models. owning both i compared them briefly specially in this departement.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #642 of 642
As you own both, which is the one you like more and why?
cant choose a better one. they are different enough to like them both for their strengths. the closed one is smoother overall and phenomal for beeing closed back, the open one sounds a tad more realistic/life like and has slightly better layering but can sound sharper with some recordins/music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back