AKG's new K872?
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #602 of 642
Sorry just seeing this, nope the pads are definitely vinyl, the headband has some leather.
Very high quality pleather and expensive too!

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #604 of 642
AFAIK, these haven't even been imported to Australia yet. I'm working on selling some stuff to raise funds however. Both the AKG K812 and the Mysphere 3.2 (when equalised) are my 2 favourites, and considering their DNA is similar to the Composer, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a star!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #605 of 642
AFAIK, these haven't even been imported to Australia yet. I'm working on selling some stuff to raise funds however. Both the AKG K812and the Mysphere 3.2 (when equalised) are my 2 favourites, and considering their DNA is similar to the Composer, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a star!
They are never going to get imported to where I live 😂
I hope they get imported to Austrialia.
At the moment I have the K872s with the mod of removing the inner foam rings, they sound superv with a little bit of EQ. But I’m looking for an open back too, my K240DFs are the best I have for open backs, I still have a lot of HPs from the K700 series but I still prefer the DFs.
Based on oratory1990 the composer and k812 look similar, I know we can’t hear graphs, but I wonder if the composer is worth the extra $1000-1200 🤔

Cheers!

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #606 of 642
How did it change the sound for you when you removed the foam rings?
That K812 equalised with the oratory1990 EQ is fantastic! Have a look on Australian or UK Amazon for it. It was by far the cheapest I've seen them AUS$1445 ( = US$940) an absolute bargain. The equalisation reduces the peak in the upper midrange that makes some notes on the piano a bit shouty (like on almost any headphone I have) and brings up the bass.
The only thing I don't like about the K812 and K872 is how expensive the ear pads are and how hard they are to replace (easy to get them off, but hard to get them on!)
At the moment, I'm listening to the Mysphere 3.2 and that's also superb. That AKG team really knew what they were doing and still do at Austrian Audio and Mysphere)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #607 of 642
How did it change the sound for you when you removed the foam rings?
That K812 equalised with the oratory1990 EQ is fantastic! Have a look on Australian or UK Amazon for it. It was by far the cheapest I've seen them AUS$1445 ( = US$940) an absolute bargain. The equalisation reduces the peak in the upper midrange that makes some notes on the piano a bit shouty (like on almost any headphone I have) and brings up the bass.
The only thing I don't like about the K812 and K872 is how expensive the ear pads are and how hard they are to replace (easy to get them off, but hard to get them on!)
At the moment, I'm listening to the Mysphere 3.2 and that's also superb. That AKG team really knew what they were doing and still do at Austrian Audio and Mysphere)
There are good deals on the K812 on Amazon USA. So they are basically half the price of The Composer, but the big question will be if they are worth it 🤔
Yes, the pads are pricey but they should last a couple of years with high use.
You should try the K240DF too, as far as I know, the same pospone behind the K1000 were involved in the creation of the K240DF.

Regarding the K872, there is a big difference when you remove those foam rings. It’s obviously not day and night but it’s a very noticeable difference. You will hear a more clear sound, a little bit less bass but the overall performance is more mature IMO. I just EQ 2 bands, 3.5 and 5 KHZ, both at -2db.

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #608 of 642
Quite expensive! Same as the K812s
John, you have been very active on The Composer thread, have you had the chance to audition them and/or compare thame with the k812s?
That thread has been very toxic for the past few months, I rather don't ask there lol
You are right and I’m really sorry for that. That kind of personal attacks are not adding anything useful, and it alienates those looking for information.

Unfortunately I sold my last K812 (bought them two times) some years ago, so I can’t provide a direct comparison. Yet the Composer does have a common trait with the K8xx series, but extending the bass and removing a bit of the sometimes hot treble.

Cups are less deep on the Composer, the headband has a similar construction but is more pliable/softer. The cardan mechanism for the cup suspension is gone, the cups can ow rotate around the driver center in addition to normal cup movement.

The flat cables through the headband are also gone, Composer features separate cable entry on left/right cups, but with rather unusual connectors (banana plugs, the spacing is documented with a 3D printable template available)

Composer shares the high efficiency and low impedance with the K8xx models, so it’s easy to drive.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #609 of 642
You are right and I’m really sorry for that. That kind of personal attacks are not adding anything useful, and it alienates those looking for information.

Unfortunately I sold my last K812 (bought them two times) some years ago, so I can’t provide a direct comparison. Yet the Composer does have a common trait with the K8xx series, but extending the bass and removing a bit of the sometimes hot treble.

Cups are less deep on the Composer, the headband has a similar construction but is more pliable/softer. The cardan mechanism for the cup suspension is gone, the cups can ow rotate around the driver center in addition to normal cup movement.

The flat cables through the headband are also gone, Composer features separate cable entry on left/right cups, but with rather unusual connectors (banana plugs, the spacing is documented with a 3D printable template available)

Composer shares the high efficiency and low impedance with the K8xx models, so it’s easy to drive.
Jejejeje they must be very frustrated to behave like that on public.

The additional bass and reduction of those peak frequencies sound good. I don’t remember when or even if this is correct, but I read a while ago that AKG released new pads for the K812, who knows if it’s true or what changes they did to them since I’ve never owned a pair of K812s.

I agree, the construction in some areas seem more mature than what the K8xx offers. The Composers headband looks like a weak point, that gel/foam thing bordering the inside part of the headband will create hotspots on your head, too bad they didn’t use a headband like on the k8xx series. It kinda remembers me about the flaw on the K701, K702 and Q701 with that uncomfortable headband creating pressure points.

Another thing that seems to bother me is the foam behind the earcup, it’s glued, why? I don’t get it. Over time it might be an issue, all those pieces of glue getting to the driver or when you need to replace them because they are worn, it will be a royal pain in the A.

I can afford the K812 at the moment, I’m just wondering if the extra $1200 is worth it on The Composer, the HEDDPHONE 2 also has my attention 🤔

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #610 of 642
Jejejeje they must be very frustrated to behave like that on public.

The additional bass and reduction of those peak frequencies sound good. I don’t remember when or even if this is correct, but I read a while ago that AKG released new pads for the K812, who knows if it’s true or what changes they did to them since I’ve never owned a pair of K812s.

I agree, the construction in some areas seem more mature than what the K8xx offers. The Composers headband looks like a weak point, that gel/foam thing bordering the inside part of the headband will create hotspots on your head, too bad they didn’t use a headband like on the k8xx series. It kinda remembers me about the flaw on the K701, K702 and Q701 with that uncomfortable headband creating pressure points.

Another thing that seems to bother me is the foam behind the earcup, it’s glued, why? I don’t get it. Over time it might be an issue, all those pieces of glue getting to the driver or when you need to replace them because they are worn, it will be a royal pain in the A.

I can afford the K812 at the moment, I’m just wondering if the extra $1200 is worth it on The Composer, the HEDDPHONE 2 also has my attention 🤔

Cheers!
Yes, some people seem to not have a life outside the internet...

I had similar reservations when I first saw the headband on the Composer, though I have to say its really soft and I did not experience any kind of hotspot. I don't know why they chose to have those two straps with mesh in between, but I don't feel the straps on my head. It feels just like a flat headband, nothing like the bumps on certain 70x models. It also feels much softer than the K812 headband.

Yes, the foam in front of the driver is glued in place and seems to be part of the acoustic design. I'm also not that happy with any glued foam parts, but at least its not the pads, where regular wear is a problem. Beyerdynamic also seems to put damping in front of the driver on the Gen 3 T1/T5 and other models.

The K812 is still a very good headphone, no question. If the Composer is worth the premium... only you can decide if its worth to you. I wouldn't say its radically different, but better, evolved and refined.

I never tried the Heddphone 2, its still too heavy for me and, according to reviews, still has bass rolloff -- something that's quite a problem for my taste and my kind of music (various electronica, deep and vocal house, EDM). Designwise... to me the Heddphone 2 is even uglier than V1. Another reason I did not try it.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #611 of 642
............. personal attacks are not adding anything useful, and it alienates those looking for information.
Ditto
.............. Yet the Composer does have a common trait with the K8xx series, but extending the bass
Good to hear...
and removing a bit of the sometimes hot treble.
Never was bothered by the treble and now that I'm even older less so. lol :sunglasses:

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #613 of 642

I had similar reservations when I first saw the headband on the Composer, though I have to say its really soft and I did not experience any kind of hotspot. I don't know why they chose to have those two straps with mesh in between, but I don't feel the straps on my head. It feels just like a flat headband, nothing like the bumps on certain 70x models. It also feels much softer than the K812 headband.

Yes, the foam in front of the driver is glued in place and seems to be part of the acoustic design. I'm also not that happy with any glued foam parts, but at least its not the pads, where regular wear is a problem. Beyerdynamic also seems to put damping in front of the driver on the Gen 3 T1/T5 and other models.

The K812 is still a very good headphone, no question. If the Composer is worth the premium... only you can decide if its worth to you. I wouldn't say its radically different, but better, evolved and refined.

I never tried the Heddphone 2, its still too heavy for me and, according to reviews, still has bass rolloff -- something that's quite a problem for my taste and my kind of music (various electronica, deep and vocal house, EDM). Designwise... to me the Heddphone 2 is even uglier than V1. Another reason I did not try it.

Something like that? XD

Attachments

• FC036DF2-DF85-4C8D-83AB-081BABE4D836.jpeg
    FC036DF2-DF85-4C8D-83AB-081BABE4D836.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #614 of 642

I’ve been reading the rest of the composer’s thread, I don’t think is a good purchase at $2700.
That big-thick-glued foam is really a turn down.
Also the fact that the dampening is too close to your ears that it actually touches them, will make it uncomfortable, my guess is that they had to put them as close as possible to your ears to have that “good low end” it’s being hyped for; all of this at the cost of soundstage and comfort. Probably AA rushed its launch, ironically, the same story as the K812. Just makes me think it’s overpriced, it could be a good chose for some people but not for me.

Now, as far as the HEDDPHONE 2, I’ve read that it really depends on the amplification you use. Also you can EQ it, if you still not satisfied with its bass response. I honestly don’t mind making a changes in the FR with some EQ. As long as it doesn’t need a lot of extra tuning, I’m okay.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back