AKG's new K872?
Nov 10, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #587 of 642
i noticed that the memory foam pads need some warm up time of about 15-20 minutes, until the sound settles from harsh to smooth. than this is still the best closed headphone i have heard and own. after the warm up, they dissapear on my head and the sound is to me just a tad behind the hd800s open back regarding soundstage depth, and overall spaciousness with awesomely precise imaging for a dynamic. glad i bought it out of curiosity. I still need to hear the Austrian Audio hi-x65, which is tuned by the same engineer afaik.
I think with the pads it had too much bass. I took them off and feel it has enough bass and more details.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #589 of 642
i noticed that the memory foam pads need some warm up time of about 15-20 minutes, until the sound settles from harsh to smooth.
May be just getting used to the sound, I've noticed that on occasion.
Also if your pads take a bit to form by warming up, they could be drying out so it would be a good idea to treat them once in awhile so that they remain soft and supple, they're also pricey and sparse so longevity is key.
I found Somax works best.
"Sonax Rubber Protectant (GummiPfleger) protects rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces from UV damage - Low sheen application leaves no oily or slick residue"
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 5.01.08 PM.png

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #590 of 642
Nov 13, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #591 of 642
Funny thing happened on the way to the forum, took the foam inserts out of my HD660S2 which opened up the clarity quite nicely but then out of curiosity placed the foam inserts inside the cups of the K872. It's not the neatest looking insert but I believe it did something positive to the overall sound, I won't say exactly what so as not to influence anyone's opinion if they care to try. I'll list my impressions in a day or so.

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #592 of 642
I'll list my impressions in a day or so.
Believe I can safely say the Senn foam takes off a bit of the edginess and hollowness which can occur on some recordings.
Anyway it's a very simple mod and I tried a few materials but this Sennheiser foam just appears to add the right amount of filtering and as it encompasses the whole surface of the ear cavity it provides an even damping and smoothness (relatively speaking) throughout while maintaining the clarity that I've come to appreciate.
IMG_8843.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #596 of 642
Believe I can safely say the Senn foam takes off a bit of the edginess and hollowness which can occur on some recordings.
Anyway it's a very simple mod and I tried a few materials but this Sennheiser foam just appears to add the right amount of filtering and as it encompasses the whole surface of the ear cavity it provides an even damping and smoothness (relatively speaking) throughout while maintaining the clarity that I've come to appreciate.
IMG_8843.jpeg
I’ve taken the foam rings off from the K872 and I like it better. I know you Can remove the mesh from the earpads from the K872 and put them into the earpads of the K812s, has anyone tried removing the mesh from the earpads and the inner foam ring, but at the same time?

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #598 of 642
So based on the last comments about The Composer, they say it does not have too much of a soundstage. Will The Composer be more similar to the K872 (without the foam inner rings) than tue K812?
I've always felt the K812/K872 competed nicely with regards to sound stage, if the Composer is less....hhhmmm? Probably best to head back over to the Composer thread.

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #600 of 642
May be just getting used to the sound, I've noticed that on occasion.
Also if your pads take a bit to form by warming up, they could be drying out so it would be a good idea to treat them once in awhile so that they remain soft and supple, they're also pricey and sparse so longevity is key.
I found Somax works best.
afaik these are real lether pads, arent they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back