AKG's new K872?
Nov 4, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #241 of 642
The utopia had a different song from the rest but I can tell it is a superb headphone. 
regular_smile .gif

Sorry I screwed up, just sent you the utopia with the same song as the others, check your pms.

Nov 4, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #242 of 642
Nov 4, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #243 of 642
I still think well-balanced headphones are a very useful tool when working with music in any manner. When I compose, mix or master [a starting one-man army for now] I usually use headphones to pan instruments, check for noise and often to balance the mix as well, despite having a good pair of near-fields. It won't quite give you the idea in terms of bass response, I agree but it is valuable for many things :]

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #244 of 642
  I still think well-balanced headphones are a very useful tool when working with music in any manner. When I compose, mix or master [a starting one-man army for now] I usually use headphones to pan instruments, check for noise and often to balance the mix as well, despite having a good pair of near-fields. It won't quite give you the idea in terms of bass response, I agree but it is valuable for many things :]

Well yeah as long as you use multiple monitor sources you're fine. 

The best engineers I've seen always duck outside and listen to mixes on their car sound systems. 

But lately headphone companies have been peddling their headphones as all-in-one mixing solutions and charging thousands-and prices keep getting higher and higher.

Head Fi'ers are under the impression that the more they spend on headphones the better their mixing will be when in reality the opposite is true. Because everything will sound great on a high end headphone, but when you play that mix back on a normal headphone the soundstage disappears, bass bloat comes out with a vengeance because you couldn't hear it on the high end headphones, and everything sounds muddy because the treble was boosted on the high end headphone and you subconsciously backed off on the highs.

That is of course *if* you used that high end headphone as your only monitor.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #245 of 642

Well yeah as long as you use multiple monitor sources you're fine. 

The best engineers I've seen always duck outside and listen to mixes on their car sound systems. 

But lately headphone companies have been peddling their headphones as all-in-one mixing solutions and charging thousands-and prices keep getting higher and higher.

Head Fi'ers are under the impression that the more they spend on headphones the better their mixing will be when in reality the opposite is true. Because everything will sound great on a high end headphone, but when you play that mix back on a normal headphone the soundstage disappears, bass bloat comes out with a vengeance because you couldn't hear it on the high end headphones, and everything sounds muddy because the treble was boosted on the high end headphone and you subconsciously backed off on the highs.

That is of course *if* you used that high end headphone as your only monitor.

Certainly good points there.
I agree I wouldn't be able to do bass properly on a headphone alone, even if I end up doing a high pass / low cut filter down to say ~40Hz on most work, unless it's a genre that necessitates that kind of bass...
And indeed, testing for car audio is a big challenge in itself. It is often a struggle to determine the lowest common denominator but int rems of bass it certainly is car audio :D
In all, I do the bane of my production with the monitors, but panning and listening for noise / minute details [because good headphones reveal this very well] is something I've found easier to do on headphones 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #246 of 642

my experience:
K872 have more bass than K812 - and
K872 sounds more 'musicality' 

But I don't have an Ether C to compare both.

K872 offers more relaxed enjoyment of music. 
The K812 ist the Swiss Army Knife for sound engineers and offers each peace of cake of blotchiness in the music stream.

.. but which one do you choose to listen to large orchestral pieces (Mahler, Bruckner, etc...)?

Doesn't the closed nature of the K872 affect the soundstage?

Nov 4, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #247 of 642
This is interesting. I have heard people say the K872 is bassier than they'd like and now I hear about it being rolled off. The graph below is for its open sibling the K812 which everyone seems to agree is less bassy. That hardly looks like a headphone lacking low end. Even the sub roll off on that is minor given that it's an open audiophile can. Their K872 actually has more sub bass extension and a smaller high end peak than the former flagship K712 which many are familiar with. I've heard that one and it has great sub bass response for an open, and while the highs were present I didn't find it excessive. I just put it here for the sake of discussion.

akg_k_812_frequency_response.png
akg_k_712_frequency_response_cb91b7b9-8030-4768-94ad-670930556b34.png

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #248 of 642
Yeah, incorrect graphs are why I started my database. The graphs just weren't syncing with what I was hearing.

All I do is record a song through a binaural mic. I compare the recording with the original file. If it has less bass than the original file, then the bass is rolled off. If it has more bass than the original, then the bass is boosted.

In every case it reflects what I actually hear and not what I see. But every recording I compare with the original file to hear what is boosted or reduced.

Nov 5, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #250 of 642
  .. but which one do you choose to listen to large orchestral pieces (Mahler, Bruckner, etc...)?

Doesn't the closed nature of the K872 affect the soundstage?

K872 sounds a little bit nearer, but the dimension of the stage close on K812.

I have some CD/SACDs from Mahler symphonies too. K872 offers more of the darkness of Malers music - and more punch in bass.

K872 natural, warmer (audiophil?) - a bit more bunch in bass
K812 neutral, analytic - and don't forgives laps in recording (sibilants, sharpness)

I emphasize - this only my experience and not an absolute rating.

Fore comparing between both - don't forget K872 sounds 2dB louder than K812.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #252 of 642
  This is interesting. I have heard people say the K872 is bassier than they'd like and now I hear about it being rolled off. The graph below is for its open sibling the K812 which everyone seems to agree is less bassy. That hardly looks like a headphone lacking low end. Even the sub roll off on that is minor given that it's an open audiophile can. Their K872 actually has more sub bass extension and a smaller high end peak than the former flagship K712 which many are familiar with. I've heard that one and it has great sub bass response for an open, and while the highs were present I didn't find it excessive. I just put it here for the sake of discussion. 

I have both and can confirm k812 sounds to me like it extends lower than 712.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #253 of 642
 Yeah, incorrect graphs are why I started my database. The graphs just weren't syncing with what I was hearing.

Interesting, the Head Room uses a binaural. Also, waveforms in your DAW for the  Nighthawk show that earlier area very subdued. They clearly boost the bass / subs.

The waveform in my DAW is not showing frequency response, it's showing volume.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #254 of 642
 The waveform in my DAW is not showing frequency response, it's showing volume.

I knew that, I was thinking the level of the bass that was creating a larger waveform. It's also a matter of perception. The graph on the HD650 looks really nice for example and it is what I hear in the highs and mids. The low end on every graph I see is way different than what I hear (it shows more low mids and mid bass than I think it really has). Further, so many call the HD650 warm, even bloated in the lower mids higher bass area (as the graph reflects) and that is an area I found lacking (in addition to the sub bass of course). 

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #255 of 642
anybody compare AKG K872/812  with Fostex TH-900 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back